Yes, it’s an extension to the #3 CSD brand in the US market and it comes on the heels of moderate success with Coke Zero, but I don’t think this is going to work.
- “Plus” is an awful name choice. It’s bland and boring. What does it really mean anyway? “Plus” extra caffeine or energy might have been a more interesting entry :)
- It has 10-15% RDA of several vitamins. Hardly meaningful.
- Furthermore, consumers aren’t reducing their CSD consumption due to lack of vitamin content…and vitamin content in a cola doesn’t all of a sudden make it feel healthy.
- It’s bad looking…like a C2 style logo with a rainbow color scheme on top of what appears to be a normal Diet Coke label. Not attractive.
- It’s confusing. This doesn’t taste like Diet Coke and it uses a sweetener blend that’s different than Diet Coke. So it’s not really Diet Coke Plus Vitamins & Minerals. It’s really Diet Coke Reformulated. Confusion might just make consumers go somewhere else…like to a non CSD.
Overall, I think this one will definitely go the way of C2. A quick hit for the early part of the summer and then out to pasture by the end of the year.
So, what do you think?