PDA

View Full Version : Diet 7UP - Now with Splenda!

Acheron
06-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Fidgepacks of the reformulated Diet 7UP have started rolling in, and I must say it's quite the improvement. As much as I like a good lemon-lime soda, all the diet versions left something to be desired, probably since both Diet Sprite and Diet Sierra Mist are sweetened exclusively with Aspartame (like every diet version of a flagship brand) instead of being cut with ace-k like many diet products today.

Mr Zabe
06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Each to his own. smile.gif I will agree that some diet soda's sweetened with aspartame are not the best tasting. There remain a few diet soda pops that are sweetened with just aspartame; for us "old timers" these diet soda pops still satisfy us.

Besides some health side effects, Splenda "cut"
(like Cocaine??? LMAO)and or with ace-k tastes nasty>>>IMO.

[ 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ecliptic
06-21-2005, 03:45 AM
I can't stand regular Aspratame sweetened lemon and lime sodas. They really do taste like a lab experiment gone wrong. I still have an old 2-liter of Diet 7UP in my cabinent that I can't get myself to drink. It's been there for months. Last one I opened, I poored it down the sink.

7-up with Splenda on the other hand is very good.

[ 06-21-2005, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: ecliptic ]

Android
06-21-2005, 06:32 AM
I started another thread on this new Diet 7-Up on the Free For All page here the other day. I don't like the new Splenda formula over the old.

I also brought one can out to work and had a friend who drinks only diet sodas try it, and he thought the same thing, the old formula was better. The old formula was an excellent example of working around the limitations of their blend of sweeteners. (much as the original patent medicine called Coca Cola was designed to hide/complement the not-so-good tastes of its blend of two stimulants, coca leaf and Kola nuts)

From what it seems to me, 7-Up just slapped on the Splenda name, and hoped that would sell the product, and didn't pay too close attention to making it taste very good.

So far, the only Splenda-sweetened products I care for are Pepsi Edge and Pepsi One, and those are both Splenda blends.

Now, that Cadbury Schweppes has Diet Rite, Diet RC and Diet 7up with Splenda, will they now <bleep> up the formula for Diet Dr. Pepper? Man, I hope not.

-Andy

The Interpreter
06-21-2005, 08:01 AM
You and me both. I detest the new Diet 7Up. I will no longer be buying it.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Once again, I'm in the same boat. Cadbury Schweppes should change the name of Diet 7up to Diet "Splenda Infested" 7up. :(

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Hmmm...

I bought a 12 pack of Diet 7-up about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty good.

But I'm not sure if it's the new formula or not...

Does the new formula have markings on the box that it used Splenda?

I need to check the box when I get home...

The Interpreter
06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Yes, the new formula says Splenda on the box. Also, check the ingredients. The old formula had aspartame and ACE K. The new does not.

Android
06-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Here's a picture of new vs. old packaging for Diet 7up fridgepacks/cans: (the new still has Ace-K in it I notice now) I like how it has to tell you that it "Tastes Great!" more like "Not As Good!" -Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/pics/diet7up.jpg

[ 06-22-2005, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Android ]

Mr Zabe
06-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Android,
Outstanding picture!!!!!

I just remembered that as a kid, 7up was the magical(at least in my house)soda pop that my Mom use to give us kids when we were sick.

G-D forbid that a sick kid is given the splenda diet 7up and has to suffer even more when they are sick.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Very good picture.

It appears that I don't have the Splenda version.

And the original is pretty good!

I bet the Splenda version is REALLY good!

mjb1124
06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I still haven't tried the new Diet 7UP, but I really liked the old one, and I haven't been too impressed with a lot of the Splenda-sweetened sodas. I think that the new Pepsi One, while not bad, is inferior to the original, although in all fairness the new one does taste closer to regular Pepsi.

As for Diet Dr. Pepper - I honestly think it needs a reformulation. I don't agree with the sentiment that it's one of the top diet sodas. Maybe that was the case 10 years ago, but since then a lot of new diet sodas have come out that are much closer to the originals and have much less of an aftertaste. I think the companies have learned how to make better use of artificial sweeteners.

So, I think it's time to give Diet Dr Pepper a makeover, along with some of the other older diet sodas like Diet Mountain Dew.

riot
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Does Diet Sprite Zero have Splenda in it?

mjb1124
06-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by riot:
Does Diet Sprite Zero have Splenda in it? Nope. It has Aspartame/Ace-K.

TaB
06-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Splenda cannot be used too often, due to restrictions on the amount of it being made, and Coke's hesitation to get too involved with a heavily sued company.

riot
06-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Isn't Coke a "heavily sued company"? LOL.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-23-2005, 02:19 AM
splenda's getting sued everyday - bigger lawsuits too.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-23-2005, 09:06 AM
^^

All because of their slogan.