PDA

View Full Version : A few questions?

jobbie
02-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi all, as you might be aware I live in England. I have a collection of Coke cans/bottles.
It would be great if you guys could help with questions I have?
Thanks in advance!

jobbie
02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Why do european cans have 330ml in them and most other countries are 375ml?

How many countries use the word "Classic" for regular Coke?

I've heard of CokeII (2) is it still available to buy and what did it taste like?

In the UK, you can pretty much buy all available products anywhere,(Cherry 7up being the exception, a very rare sight!) In the US some sodas seem unavailable in some parts, why is this? And does it bug you guys?

In europe all our bottles are mesured in litres, is this the case in the US/Canada?

How many countries have Diet Coke now? Most places have changed to Coca-cola Light. (all europe, except UK etc)

If Coke are pushing the Coca-cola name(ie. Coca-cola Cherry) is the word "Coke" on its way out? But is this wise as most people say "coke" dont they?

We used to have Caffeine Free Coke in the UK, is it still available elsewhere? (We still have CF DietCoke here)

Is Pepsi Max the same as Pepsi One?

In the UK we have DietCoke with Lemon/Cherry/Lime is this still the case with the rest of the world?

Is DrPepper Zero available outside the UK?

Thanks again for any info you can give me!

[ 02-06-2007, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: jobbie ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by jobbie:
Why do european cans have 330ml in them and most other countries are 375ml?

How many countries use the word "Classic" for regular Coke?

I've heard of CokeII (2) is it still available to buy and what did it taste like?

In the UK, you can pretty much buy all available products anywhere,(Cherry 7up being the exception, a very rare sight!) In the US some sodas seem unavailable in some parts, why is this? And does it bug you guys?

In europe all our bottles are mesured in litres, is this the case in the US/Canada?

How many countries have Diet Coke now? Most places have changed to Coca-cola Light. (all europe, except UK etc)

If Coke are pushing the Coca-cola name(ie. Coca-cola Cherry) is the word "Coke" on its way out? But is this wise as most people say "coke" dont they?

We used to have Caffeine Free Coke in the UK, is it still available elsewhere? (We still have CF DietCoke here)

Is Pepsi Max the same as Pepsi One?

In the UK we have DietCoke with Lemon/Cherry/Lime is this still the case with the rest of the world?

Is DrPepper Zero available outside the UK?

Thanks again for any info you can give me! 1.- Here in Mexico we have 355 ml cans, 237 ml cans and the Spacio Leve cans (Coca-Cola Company calorie-free drinks line) are 310 ml... and in some cities like Monterrey there's 475 ml cans...

2.- U.S., Canada and Puelto Lico (sorry, Puerto Rico... LOL :D )

3.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke#Coke_II , and I also have the same doubt about how does it taste like...

5.- In U.S. some bottles are measured in ounces and other in liters (litres) and in Canada I saw that bottles are measured in mililiters and liters...

6.- As far as I remember... India, New Zealand, Scandinavia, and Australia; Israel and Japan have the name "Diet Coca-Cola" right now, but in April the Japanese version will change its name...

7.- It seems that the word "Coke" it's on its way out, but the "Coke side of life" campaign tells the opposite thing... and as you said, people in U.S. mostly mention Coca-Cola as "Coke", just like here, we mostly mention "Coca" instead of Coca-Cola, also the trademark Coke it's very used in Australia and NZ.

8.- Same case, we have Caffeine Free Coca-Cola Light here... but not Caffeine Free Coke...

9.- I wonder also...

10.- We used to have Coca-Cola Citra Light (Coca-Cola Light with Lime) it tasted so good... but unfortunately has been discontinued... :(

11.- Here in Mex we have only regular Dr. Pepper

Regards! smile.gif

[ 02-06-2007, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Ram0n C0keah0lic ]

10*2*4
02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Dr Pepper Zero? We are flying to London Saturday....can't wait to see that....I have never heard of it.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by 10*2*4:
Dr Pepper Zero? We are flying to London Saturday....can't wait to see that....I have never heard of it. You don't have to wait to see it :D ... here's a pìc I found at flickr...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/322604520_ada9c182ac_d.jpg

Tom Servo
02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
3 - I've heard Coke II had more of a Pepsi-like taste, with more fruitiness than original Coke.

4 - It bugs us if we're devoted to one type of drink and then move, or get hooked on the flavour of one while on vacation. There are a lot of national brands but also a lot more regional brands that sometimes develop loyal followings.

8 - CF Coke is still available in many parts of the US; it is pretty common here in the Southeastern US.

9 - According to Wikipedia Pepsi Max and Pepsi ONE are flavoured differently. Max has used acesulfame potassium which, at launch wasn't approved for use here in the states. When it was approved, they rolled out Pepsi ONE; later it switched to Splenda.

10 - Again I only speak for my region but they seem to be making a big push for Diet Coca-Cola Cherry here. Diet with lime is still around but I don't know how popular it is. I haven't seen the lemon diet in a while.

fusion
02-07-2007, 12:05 AM
The last place Coke II was available was Micronesia, now it's not even listed on their website. But they do have Coke Zero now. And they call their Coke Classic, too.

It doesn't bug me that brands are regional, I rather enjoy going to different places and seeing different things. It's like if you went to France or Germany or another country - you'd find different things.

SamC
02-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 10*2*4:
Dr Pepper Zero?....I have never heard of it. The ownership of Dr Pepper varies from country to country. While C-S owns it in the USA and 8 other (pretty random) countries, in most of the world, including the UK, The Coca-Cola Company owns the product. Thus "Dr Pepper Zero". 7UP is in similar situation, its PepsiCo property everywhere but the USA.

Oddly, while C-S owns Dr Pepper and 7UP in the USA and not its home of the UK, it does not own its own brandname of Cadbury in the USA, having sold its candy business here to Hershey's years ago.

jmyjunk
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
To answer some questions:

Can size varies from counrty to coutnry.

Here is the US the standard in 355ml (12oz)
In Europe, its 330ml
In Australia its 375ml
In Asia (Such as Japan and Korea, it varies from 250ml to 330ml) I even have a standard coke can from Tawain that is 355.
Puerto Rico is 335 for some reason or another. I would like to know why such a variation though.

Coke II is new coke re named.

With bottles, only the 2 liter is, well 2 liters. A funny little quirk. Every thing else is in Ounces.

Blue Efficacy
02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
[QUOTE]

Oddly, while C-S owns Dr Pepper and 7UP in the USA and not its home of the UK, it does not own its own brandname of Cadbury in the USA, having sold its candy business here to Hershey's years ago. Not to nitpick, but Hershey doesn't own it, per se. Cadbury licenses Hershey to produce and sell Cadbury chocolate products. Similar to Nestle owning Kit Kat, but again, in the US, Hershey owns the license to make and sell it.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
In the case of Mexico, the name of the company that makes Cadbury chocolates is Cadbury-Adams, after the merge of Cadbury with Adams, in its brand porfolio includes Cadbury chocolates and candies like Trident chewing gum, Halls cough drops, etc... and they're completely separated from the Cadbury Schweppes sodas distribution system...

[ 02-08-2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Ram0n C0keah0lic ]

jobbie
02-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys fr the info. a few more.....

We have Canada Dry Ginger Ale reg/diet here in UK. Is it a major brand in Canada/USA?

Are there any more flavours you can get of Canada Dry?

Is the Schweppes brand "big" in North America?

We have Schweppes Lemomade here which is very popular in the UK, do any other countries have it? I know lemonade is a different drink in some places to the British version?

The UK's Cherry Coke tastes alot different from Diet Coke with Cherry is the US versions the same?

Thanks!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by jobbie:
Thanks guys fr the info. a few more.....

We have Canada Dry Ginger Ale reg/diet here in UK. Is it a major brand in Canada/USA?

Are there any more flavours you can get of Canada Dry?

Is the Schweppes brand "big" in North America?Here in Ags. we only have regular Canada Dry Ginger Ale in 600 ml and 1 liter bottles, and along with PBG's Seagram's Ginger Ale, both are the only Ginger Ale brands we have here...

And Schweppes is also the only tonic water brand here, it comes in tiny glass bottles...

[ 02-10-2007, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Ram0n C0keah0lic ]

fusion
02-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Canada Dry ginger ale is also available in cranberry and diet cranberry here. There used to be a lemon ginger ale, but it went away about 5-6 years ago.

Also, in this area, the Pepsi/Canada Dry bottler makes flavors under the Canada Dry name, including black cherry, pineapple, wild cherry, lime, peach, and cream.

Here's how it seems to fall out in most areas:

Coke bottlers have Seagrams
Pepsi bottlers have Schweppes
independent bottlers or Cadbury-owned bottlers have Canada Dry.

There are plenty of exceptions to that rule, though. There are some areas where Coke bottlers have Canada Dry or Schweppes, Pepsi has Seagram's, or Pepsi has Vernor's (another ginger ale from Cadbury).

Old franchise agreements remain in place, even though Coke owns the rights to the Seagrams name, and Cadbury owns Canada Dry and Schweppes.

David J.
02-10-2007, 11:04 PM
In my area, Canada Dry is distributed by Coke, Schweppes is distributed Pepsi, and Coke has Seagrams in fountain (well I noticed it at Sams Club.) Canada Dry is really good seller in my area, so it works out great for Coke. A independent bottler distributes Segram's in cans, and I think two liters.

Coke Bottles Dr. Pepper, but Pepsi distributes it for the fountain. The only coke resturant that serves Dr. Pepper is Burger King. And I think they are the exception to the rule, as I think all BK's, well most of them have Dr. Pepper.

[ 02-10-2007, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: David J. ]

Mr Zabe
02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Both Burger King and McDonald's serve DP in Chi Town.
Both BK and McD are Coke resturants. American Beverages
bottles CS (Dr Pepper) in my region. There must be some sort of regional/national contract for DP???

(I know this has been addressed in prior threads. I spaced out the details. Thanks)

[ 02-10-2007, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
02-11-2007, 08:50 AM
With those two chains, the BIBs or canisters come straight off the truck that delivers the rest of the supplies to the restaurant, not from the local bottler. Those contracts are signed at the national level.

[ 02-11-2007, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

SamC
02-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I have said this before, but the smart move for C-S is to get control of all of its brands everywhere, taking DP from Pepsi bottlers especially, and then compete with a full line in vending, fountains, and stores.

In my area, the Pepsi bottler has DP and Schweppes. C-S bottler has Canada Dry and Vernors. KO bottler has Seagram's.

I was recently down in southwest Virginia and found the Pepsi bottler there still had 7UP, with SM totally absent.

jobbie
02-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow, seems very confusing in the US.

fusion
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Actually, Sierra Mist was sold by Blue Ridge Beverages in SW VA, but they sold their non-soda business to Dr Pepper Staunton VA, who also still distributes it. Sounds like you were outside their territory, but still inside Pepsi Shenandoah territory (the Pepsi bottler with 7Up).

Now what's odd is that Pepsi Shenandoah also owns a company called Virginia Beach Beverages, which does Cadbury distributing in SE VA. This was territory formerly served by Adamany of Chicago.

Blue Efficacy
02-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Around here, Pepsi has Dr Pepper and no ginger ale.
Coke has Schweppes.
CS has Canada Dry. Also has cranberry ginger ale around the holidays.
Personally, however, I find Ginger ale to be a vile, vile drink.