PDA

View Full Version : is Coke Zero really TaB?

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:52 AM
it just occurred to me that... if diet coke is the same formula as "new" coke. then is TaB based on coke classic? and, if so, then aren't Zero and TaB almost the same soda?

a few people have mentioned that Zero tastes like TaB to them...

could it be...? :confused:

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 04:46 AM
ESB
Trust me on this,I can speak about TAB as I drank it every day with dinner and even a few bottles after dinner as a young kid.

Tab does not even compare at all with any current diet colas sold in the US. Tab's taste IMO is not based on any other cola base flavor.

Tab IMO tastes more like sweetened radiator fluid.LOL (Not that I would know. LOL)

I would suggest that you find a store that sells TAB by the can or a friend that can share a few cans.You should give TAB a fair try and then see if I'm being too harsh with my take on TAB.

[ 06-21-2005, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Admit it, Zabe...

If you could bottle sweetened radiator fluid, you would.

TaB
06-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Zero is -similar- to TaB.

TaB has more... bite to it than most diet colas, and you can almost get a light tin overtone.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 09:49 AM
SEV
Well if I could locate some dull pink cans I would. LMAO smile.gif

TaB
06-21-2005, 09:51 AM

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 10:28 AM
;)

billygtexas
06-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Why does Coke still produce TaB?

I bet the formula hasnt changed since they added Nutrasweet in the 80's (didnt help), and after Diet Coke premered they stopped promoting it.

Along with Fresca, TaB's a relic with a small cult audiance.

TaB
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM

Does ANYONE read what I post? :_P

TaB has an ultra-loyal following, even after all the @$#*! that Coke put them through (which is why the numbers of drinkers reduced, not diet cokes entrance).

It is now a mix of calcium sacharrin and aspartame, so it tastes like original TaB.

It makes money, and they have no advertising budget for it. It also helps that their CEO loves it. (It's good tasting too.)

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
Admit it, Zabe...

If you could bottle sweetened radiator fluid, you would. does this mean we should keep some TaB in the trunk... in case of emergency... ;)

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Fufu Leth:
TaB has more... bite to it than most diet colas, and you can almost get a light tin overtone. that would be the radiator fluid... melting the can... smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by billygtexas:
Why does Coke still produce TaB?

I bet the formula hasnt changed since they added Nutrasweet in the 80's (didnt help), and after Diet Coke premered they stopped promoting it.

Along with Fresca, TaB's a relic with a small cult audiance. i became part of the fresca "cult" last friday. i bought a 1.5 liter bottle for the first time... and loved it. i just bought my second bottle today, and am drinking some now.

as for TaB, i'm going to try to track some down. i know i've seen it somewhere, here in the city. and then i'm gonna do a taste test... with TaB, diet coke, diet coke w/ splenda, coke zero, diet pepsi, and pepsi one... and see which one i like best. smile.gif

[ 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

mjb1124
06-21-2005, 01:47 PM
I've been drinking Fresca for the better portion of my life and I must admit I'm a fan of the stuff.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 01:47 PM

TaB has an ultra-loyal following, even after all the @$#*! that Coke put them through (which is why the numbers of drinkers reduced, not diet cokes entrance).

It is now a mix of calcium sacharrin and aspartame, so it tastes like original TaB.

It makes money, and they have no advertising budget for it. It also helps that their CEO loves it. (It's good tasting too.) what did coke put TaB drinkers through? :confused:

TaB
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fufu Leth:

It makes money, and they have no advertising budget for it. It also helps that their CEO loves it. (It's good tasting too.) what did coke put TaB drinkers through? :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]They changed the formulae multiuple times, as well as adding idiotic line extensions that burned the core brands image.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
IMO Fresca is one of the rare citrus soda pops that tastes great all the way from the first sip to the ending back wash. This diet grapefruit soda pop has been a brand waiting to take off, which appears to be the case as Coke is launching new Fresca flavors.

[ 06-21-2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:08 PM
i realize that coke was trying to cash-in on the diet coke name by coming out with a splenda version, but... it might've made more sense to just reformulate TaB (to taste like Diet Coke) and then add Splenda to it.

it's just going to be weird to have two versions of diet coke... forever. because, they definitely taste different. and, while people may buy the Splenda version at the grocery store, they're going to be stuck with regular version at restaurants (or vice versa, if the Splenda version replaces the original at McD's, etc.). and, when you're not used to the flavor of something, you REALLY notice the difference.

i supposed McD's and restaurants could sell BOTH versions of diet coke... but ordering a "diet coke w/ splenda" is a mouthful... when someone could simply order a... diet coke, tab, or coke zero.

my point is... either coke plans to get rid of original diet coke (eventually), OR... they should've just made TaB or Coke Zero they're splenda product.

i just can't figure out their logic on this one.

[ 06-21-2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

TaB
06-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:
i realize that coke was trying to cash-in on the diet coke named by coming out with a splenda version, but... it might've made more sense to just reformulate TaB (to taste like Diet Coke) and then add Splenda to it.

it's just going to be weird to have two versions of diet coke... forever. because, they definitely taste different. and, while people may buy the Splenda version at the grocery store, they're going to be stuck with regular version at restaurants (or vice versa, if the Splenda version replaces the original at McD's, etc.). and, when you're not used to the flavor of something, you REALLY notice the difference.

i supposed McD's and restaurants could sell BOTH versions of diet coke... but ordering a "diet coke w/ splenda" is a mouthful... when someone could simply order a... diet coke, tab, or coke zero.

my point is... either coke plans to get rid of original diet coke (eventually), OR... they should've just made TaB or Coke Zero they're splenda product.

i just can't figure out their logic on this one. By the way, Coke w/splenda is closer to TaB than Diet Coke.

If they reformulated TaB, it would die. The hard core drinkers, as I have talked to many, would go to Zero, and the TaB stigma of sacharrin, although it's okay, would kill it.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
IMO Fresca is one of the rare citrus soda pops that tastes great all the way from the first sip to the ending back wash. This diet grapefruit soda pop has been a brand waiting to take off, which appears to be the case as Coke is launching new Fresca flavors. i agree. i don't really like sprite or mountain dew. they're just too sweet and/or acidic.

also, fresca has virtually no after taste. i'll definitely be buying it as my caffeine free diet drink (replacing CF diet coke, probably).

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:16 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:
i realize that coke was trying to cash-in on the diet coke named by coming out with a splenda version, but... it might've made more sense to just reformulate TaB (to taste like Diet Coke) and then add Splenda to it.

i just can't figure out their logic on this one. By the way, Coke w/splenda is closer to TaB than Diet Coke.

If they reformulated TaB, it would die. The hard core drinkers, as I have talked to many, would go to Zero, and the TaB stigma of sacharrin, although it's okay, would kill it. </font>[/QUOTE]coke would have to re-introduce TaB as sweetened with Splenda. i mean, most (young) people have probably never even heard of it.

and, yes, TaB may lose some of it's hard-core fans... but it may pick up millions of new ones (fans of splenda, and... people who just liked the new taste).

still, my point is mostly that i just don't understand why coke just didn't add splenda to Zero instead. it just seems that people are going to get confused.

TaB
06-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Ace-K/Asspartame tastes better? -)

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:29 PM
well, isn't this the first time that coke or pepsi has had two versions of the same product out at the same time? i mean, aside from the "turnover" time for all (saccharin) diet coke, to be replaced by (nutrasweet) diet coke... but that wasn't the same thing... because coke was reformulating diet coke altogether.

for now, it seems their plan is to have TWO versions of the same product... competing with each other.

it's going to be interesting to see what happens. whether DCWS catches on (and it looks like it is very fast), and whether regular DC gets bumped. and where Coke Zero fits in in all of this.

[ 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 02:55 PM
But Empire Buddy, remember that Splenda likes to churn the insides of some people.

I don't believe aspertame has quite the same effect among consumers.

It'd really be a business blunder if they completely switched to Splenda.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
"It'd really be a business blunder if they completely switched to Splenda."

Well the makers of Gas-X and Midol might benefit from a Splenda sweetened diet soda pop monopoly. LMAO!!!!

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Touché, Zabe. ;)

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
But Empire Buddy, remember that Splenda likes to churn the insides of some people.

I don't believe aspertame has quite the same effect among consumers.

It'd really be a business blunder if they completely switched to Splenda. i understand that some people have "complications" with splenda. all i'm saying is that coke should've just sweetened Coke Zero or TaB or some other, new drink with Splenda... so there'd be less confusion.

when i was drinking Zero the other day, some lady i work with asked, "oh, what's that? is that the one sweetened with splenda?" and then i got tongue-tied trying to explain that "no. there is a diet coke with splenda, but this is different... blah blah blah." i think she stopped listening. LOL.

it just would've been easier for consumers to understand "diet coke is the same" and "coke zero has splenda in it."

i mean, is coke going to start selling THREE diet drinks at McDonald's? i doubt it. one of them is gonna get the shaft.

but which one? it remains to be seen.

it just would've been easier to have diet coke and coke zero.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
"It'd really be a business blunder if they completely switched to Splenda."

Well the makers of Gas-X and Midol might benefit from a Splenda sweetened diet soda pop monopoly. LMAO!!!! maybe coke could attach a coupon for Gas-X on every 12 pak of DC w/ Splenda. ;)

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 05:05 PM
I must say there is nothing finer than discussing
cramps and butt bombs (like snap,crackle and pop) with the best bunch of soda pop freaks known to exist in cyber space. :D :cool:

That being said, ESB your coupon idea would be way too funny. smile.gif

[ 06-21-2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
i haven't noticed a problem with splenda. but, then, i haven't been mixing it with beer. and i've already moved on to zero, which doesn't have splenda in it anyway.

ecliptic
06-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Uh Zero is original Coca Cola formula with artificial sweeteners instead of HFCS.

[ 06-22-2005, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: ecliptic ]

XLS_04
06-22-2005, 03:42 AM
exactley

Empire State Buddy
06-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by ecliptic:
Uh Zero is original Coca Cola formula with artificial sweeteners instead of HFCS. i know. but wasn't TaB the first diet cola... ever? and, if so, since it's made by coca-cola... it only makes sense that it would be based on coke's original formula (like Zero);

however, others have informed me that TaB is based on its OWN secret cola formula.

and, then, that diet coke and "new" coke used the same cola formula.

TaB
06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Diet Rite beat TaB to the market.

TaB was supposed to be Classic with a bite. So it's different.

Diet Coke and New Coke were developed cocurrently, with Diet coke hitting the market first.

riot
06-22-2005, 01:52 PM
When did Diet Pepsi come out then? Before Diet Coke I thought.

TaB
06-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, but after TaB. TaB is, um... Diet Coke's father. (New Coke is the mother.)

riot
06-22-2005, 02:48 PM
LOL!

TaB
06-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Well... I thinks this thread has lost its point, seeing as TaB is NOT Coke Zero... So...

riot
06-22-2005, 11:11 PM
I won't be convinced until I taste a can of Tab. Does anyone have any in their nuclear fallout shelter? LOL.

PSOmasterX77
06-24-2005, 06:43 PM
There's always like 10 or so 6-packs of Tab at the local wegmans on the shelf. But I saw y'all mentioned the small cult of fresca, but I see that stuff everywhere, and all of my local stores carry it in 12 can fridgepacks and 2 liters, must be somewhat popular up here?

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-24-2005, 07:56 PM
i LOVE fresca. mmm. mmm. good. smile.gif

The Interpreter
06-25-2005, 06:14 PM
And Coke is relaunching Fresca, including with line extensions! smile.gif

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-29-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah. i've seen that. although, i think the new label design looks like off-brand soda (cheap, digital graphics).

even so, the new flavors will be welcome.

still, even now, i still get fresca mixed up with fanta. they both start and end with the same letters, and sort of sound like spanish to me.