PDA

View Full Version : does C2 need another name... relaunch?

Empire State Buddy
06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
it just came up in a couple other threads that people STILL don't know what C2 is about.

the packaging looks almost exactly like coke classic... and the "C2" is small... and says nothing about the product.

my guess is that most people think that C2 = "new" coke (or coke 2). and have no idea that it has half the calories.

i realize that coke gave it a big push in the beginning... but those ads weren't very "clear" as to WHAT C2 is.

anyway... my question is... SHOULD COKE RENAME & RELAUNCH C2?

and, if so... what should they call it. i think that C/2 would be a start... since it suggests "half" of something. but there are probably more "creative" names.

any suggestions... smile.gif

[ 06-22-2005, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

Mr Zabe
06-22-2005, 07:05 AM
At this point,those people who drink any of Coca Cola's Coke products (Classic to Zero) mostly likely know what Coke C2 is.

I think at this point a name change would further confuse the Coke and non coke drinkers.

The name I would like to see: Coke WTAF . LOL
Coke We Tried And Failed. (Just a joke. LOL)

Hacksaw
06-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Maybe "Coke III"? ;)

Empire State Buddy
06-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
At this point,those people who drink any of Coca Cola's Coke products (Classic to Zero) mostly likely know what Coke C2 is.

I think at this point a name change would further confuse the Coke and non coke drinkers.
that's a good point (about confusion). but... i still think they should give C2 another launch... if not, another name.

and, maybe it's not doing as bad as i think it is. i mean, i do see it at most supermarkets... though usually in the 1.5 liter bottles. it's harder to find in 12-paks, but there are 2 locations near my apt (only a couple blocks away) where i can find it (though not every time i'm in the store--i usually stock up and buy 2 12-paks when i'm there). ;)

TaB
06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
1.5 Liters are teh rip-off.

Eh, C2 is dead.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-22-2005, 10:48 AM
C'mon, FuFu, that's a little harsh.

It seems that if Coke takes a good hard look at thier C2 sales numbers, it might be worthy to do something with the brand(relaunch, more advertisement...)

Empire Buddy, please don't start a new C2 name thread...

Mr Zabe
06-22-2005, 11:02 AM
LOL
The new weekly sales adds for the Chicago big grocery stores have Coke Zero for 69 to 79 cents for a two litter. I will say that every week the stores that I shop at have some very good sales.

[ 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

TaB
06-22-2005, 11:36 AM
SEV

C2 is on Death's doorstep. As I see it, they have a few months where they can rejuvinate the brand with a new advertising campaign.

Sorry, they won't do it. Coke is good at killing off brands.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
kill it

riot
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
I like it. But Zero is almost as good.

BottleBoss
06-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Too many diets. Isn't that all it really is?

riot
06-22-2005, 04:01 PM
C2 isn't diet. Well, only half diet. It's more like light beer.

Zero is definitely diet though.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I bet Empire Buddy doesn't think it's JUST a diet.

riot
06-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Zero is diet. How can you even argue it isn't? :eek:

SamC
06-23-2005, 08:39 AM
KO should pull the file on C2 and fire any and everybody whose name appears in it.

You can call it C2, you call call it Coke Max, you can call it Coke Free, Coke One, or George.

Its still half Coke, half diet Coke mixed together by some idiot MBA trying to cash in on the Adkins diet craze (which is OVER, BTW) with a low "carb" product, w/o realizing that diet drinks were already zero "carb".

Fire 'em all.

riot
06-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Some of us like it. smile.gif

Besides, I'm not sure if this is the case with most C2 fans, but, since it has half the calories, I tend to drink/buy TWICE as much (as I did of Coke Classic).

So, even if C2 didn't bring in any new customers. If previous customers are buying twice as much, isn't that a good thing? :confused:

Mr Zabe
06-23-2005, 10:07 AM
With all due respect (said in jest smile.gif ) drinking twice as much "dog water" is still drinking dog water. LOL

It's cool that you like C2,ones taste in soda pop can't be fully explained. At this point in time C2 has not proven to be a winner for Coca Cola.
In my limited experience I do not see any Coke C2 being brought in multiple of 8 or 12 packs.

I believe that C2 was never a good thing (personal taste and sales numbers).

riot
06-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, I just picked up some Zero at the local supermarket (in 1.5 liter) and... it replaced where they used to have C2! :eek:

Didn't find either in cans though. :(

[ 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: riot ]

keith1024
06-24-2005, 01:40 AM
C2 seems to be doing fine here as is. The product has found a niche and has its loyal drinkers. The 2 liter version is the only version that really doesn't sell that well here. Coke just entered the low carb craze as it was ending and was never really able to capitalize.
It outsells products like Vanilla and Cherry Coke. Those products don't seem to be going away just yet so I don't see why C2 would.

sodasommelier
06-27-2005, 11:08 PM
About "C2" I think we can revert to what used to be printed on cans when returnable bottles were big and cans were being sold as a "hey you don't have to return this so deal with the lower quality and higher price" package: The cans said (and this can be attributed to the brand "C2") "PUT LITTER IN ITS PLACE" !!! smile.gif

fusion
06-28-2005, 01:03 AM
C2 outsells Cherry? Not around here. Cherry is a good seller. Vanilla, on the other hand, is dying.

C2 is not low carb. It was not part of the low carb fad.

keith1024
06-28-2005, 01:56 AM
C2 is marketed by Coca-Cola as a half calorie and half carb soda. The lower carbs and calories are the selling point.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-28-2005, 10:42 AM
i agree. how could you say that it wasn't a "lower carb" option?

XLS_04
06-28-2005, 01:35 PM
they marketed C2 badly to begin with, Coke zero is another one that will most likely have the same problem down the road.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I dunno about that.

Coke Zero is being feverishly marketed right now. Have you noticed?

C2 had respectable marketing, but nothing like this.

But still, there's not saying that Zero won't crash within a few months. It's all up to the consumers.

golee1
06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
C2 never outsold Cherry here, although in some of my stores it's not far behind it. Regardless though, I think C2 is going, going, gone here. Iwas in the warehouse last night and we're out of fridgepacks,and I don't think we're getting any more in, only a half pallet of 2 liters left.

fusion
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
I never said C2 wasn't lower carb, but it's not low carb. Low carb would be...what? maybe 3 carbs per can? or less?

C2 has...18 carbs per can? Nobody doing a low carb diet would get near it.. too many carbs.

I thought the selling point of C2 was that it tasted like Classic, but with fewer calories and carbs.

XLS_04
06-29-2005, 03:06 AM
that was the selling point of it, and coke zero's selling point is it tastes like classic coke but has zero calories. only time will tell but I still think in order for Coke zero to last they need to use Splenda as a sweetener instead.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-29-2005, 09:20 AM
There are full calorie drinks, half(low) calorie drinks, and no calorie drinks. What's so hard about this?

Well, I do admit that Coke is sending mixed messages. They now have all three versions of their flagship product... Yet, C2 doesn't taste THAT much better than Zero. So it's an interesting situation for Coke, which will probably end with them scrapping C2.

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
i'm a C2 fan, but zero is an acceptable alternative. it's not quite as good, but it's close. i'm not sure if i'll stop buying C2 yet or not. but it's possible.

i haven't really drank zero while eating a pizza or burger. that will be the real test.

i'll keep you updated.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-01-2005, 02:35 AM
it's not the real test! who cares! just drink the damn stuff jeez

riot
07-01-2005, 02:47 AM
i actually got sick on zero this week, and haven't been able to drink it for several days. :(

actually, it's not zero's fault... there's some problem with the water supply in nyc this week, and everyone's getting sick (to their stomachs). we're supposed to boil all water before drinking it. unfortunately, i hadn't heard about this when it was first announced. probably because i was here...

billygtexas
07-01-2005, 04:12 AM
I think theres still a market for C2, hopefully Coke will keep it on the shelves and it find an audiance. I think it really needs a new label design. The design closely resembes Coke Classic too much.

Where I live its always stacked right by the regular Coke. Move C2 in with the the diet coke products and give the label a different color, maybe even change the name to "Coke Light".

BTW Coke Zero tastes great with food, havent had any indigestion problems with it yet.

riot
07-01-2005, 06:29 AM
i agree with you, billyg.

but i doubt coke is going to spend all that money to rename, relaunch and relabel.

at best, they'll change the packaging (i always thought a black/silver/red logo would've been cool), and, maybe, give it a new, more informative ad campaign.

also, i think coke is trying too hard to appeal to "young people" by selling an attitude. young people are like anyone else... they buy a product they need, or like.

being "cool" plays a part. but i think young consumers are more sophisticated than what coke is giving them credit for.

riot
07-01-2005, 07:45 AM
here's an article from beveragedaily.com, regarding c2...

10/01/2005 - Coca-Cola's chief marketing officer resigned last week, but the company would not reveal whether poor sales of the low-carb, low-cal drink C2 prompted this decision.

Following news of Javier Benito's departure, the beverage giant announced that its North America retail and marketing functions – both of which fell under Benito’s bailiwick – have been divided into two separate entities.

S****sperson Ben Deutsch declined to comment on press reports that Benito’s departure was prompted by poor sales of C2 since its US launch last June. He conceded that volume sales of C2 had been below projections, but attributed this to initial pricing issues.

Nonetheless, Deutsch maintains that C2 has resonated with the core target – that is, consumers who alternate between sugar and diet drinks. “Trial and repeat rates have been in line with our objectives,” he said.

In a financial report released in October 2004, Coca-Cola’s admitted its performance had fallen short of goals and that the company was not fulfilling its potential. Earnings per share were $0.39 in the third quarter 2004, compared with earnings of $0.50 in the third quarter of 2003.

In November 2004 NutraIngredientsUSA.com reported Fitch Ratings’ findings that despite accounting for 29 percent of the overall drinks sales in the US, volume sales of carbonated soft drinks (CSDs) experienced growth of just 1 percent in 2003.

The introduction of C2, as well as rivals PepsiEdge and 7Up Plus, indicates that drinks companies are responding to this sluggish growth by trying to create an image of health and wellness that fits with current lifestyle trends.

There is no lack of creativity from major players with continually evolving development pipelines, Fitch analyst Carla Norfleet Taylor told NutraIngredientsUSA.com last year. However she does not believe nutrient-added or low-carb CSDs will catch-on and influence the market in the same way diet drinks did.

"We have not seen any indication that 7UP Plus will be revolutionary in the same way that diet sodas were, proliferating into a multitude of flavours," she said.

Coca-Cola’s newly formed US retail division will be led by Melodie Justice. John Hackett has been appointed senior vice president for Coca-Cola's North America marketing division.

riot
07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
i just read another article on that site that says coke won't be introducing C2 in the UK--it's second largest market for low-calorie drinks.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Marketing soft drinks is not like marketing energy drinks.

Taste first, image second.

riot
07-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
Marketing soft drinks is not like marketing energy drinks.

Taste first, image second. i agree with you again. hmm. maybe we're the same person. ;)