PDA

View Full Version : When does the Splenda patent run out?

SuperAmmo
06-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, so there isn't such a shortage of Splenda anymore.

Mr Zabe
06-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the shortage of splenda is not a patent problem. I recall that the raw materials used in producing splenda are scarce and expensive thus creating a supply that can't meet the demand.

wonkapete
06-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Splenda is actually manafactured about 15 minutes from my house, in a small town named Macintosh, AL. Back a few months ago, they announced a 40 million dollar expansion. They are working around the clock.. so hopefully within a year or two they'll be caught up.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the shortage of splenda is not a patent problem. I recall that the raw materials used in producing splenda are scarce and expensive thus creating a supply that can't meet the demand. SUGAR?

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Haha,

Sugar is not the only ingredient in Splenda. ;)

But I'm pretty sure you knew that, LittleGuy.

And also, I bet Splenda uses even more substances to act as catalyst in order to trigger the reaction that makes the Splenda molecule.

You could probably find a science-heavy website that describes the process.

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah, they got in a lot of trouble for claiming Splenda was made from sugar.

orion007
06-28-2005, 02:23 AM
I was gonna add something to what pete said. Splenda is made right up the road from me too...The plant is run by a company called mcneil pharmaceuticals. I have been in the plant before and had a tour of the labs...They are currently capacity limited because of the complex process required to make splenda. DC w/ splenda would have been on the market over a year ago if it had not been for these capicity issues. I had the pleasure of trying many different sodas in my time there. From what I can tell DC w/Splenda tastes the same as it did over a year ago when I first tried some. Also the plant in Macintosh is the only place in the world where Splenda is made.

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Splenda is cholorinated sugar. It's not good for you, but people don't seem to care.