PDA

View Full Version : Love 'em or Hate 'em Sodas

treetoptom
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
There are some unique sodas out there. And many of them are an acquired taste, to be sure. And then there are some that reach the legendary “Love ‘em or Hate ‘em” status. Which of the sodas you have tried left you scratching your head or, on the other hand, which of your favorites cause other people question your sanity? Mine are:

Dr. Brown’s Cel-ray Soda – I remember when this was labeled as a “tonic” back in the day. I got started drinking it in when I worked in a Jewish-owned restaurant back in the 1970’s. Odd, but refreshing taste unlike any other. Perfect accompaniment to a corned beef or pastrami sandwich, but OK on a hot summer day, too. When I brought a liter bottle in to work and gave some to my more adventurous co-workers, Cel-ray wasn’t feeling much love. One lady who grew up drinking it in NY had a good nostalgia trip, though.

Cheerwine – Lot’s of people I’ve given this to find it disgusting and complain about the old standby “medicine taste”. I don’t get that at all. Still my favorite beverage and I no longer have to wait for visits to/from my in-laws to get it now that it has made it to Northern Virginia.

Moxie – I wanted to like this classic, really. Never again.

Big Red – I might have liked this if I had it as a kid, but as an adult, definitely a once-in-a-lifetime drink for me. Odd sickly-sweet taste that was hard for me to pin down. Definitely not bubble-gum, like some people say, but…?

San Pellegrino Chinotto – I love the SP Araniciata and Limonata, so I was psyched when I saw this at Wegmans. OK taste at first, then the bitters kick in. Mama Mia! Guess you have to be older-school Italian than me to appreciate this one.

Anybody else have some?

bluredoasis
05-22-2006, 11:37 AM
As you know, I liked Cricket Cola (with Green Tea) It left a nice (to me) after taste.
Lots of people seem to hate Virgil's Root Beer (with all the added ingredients) but another soda in which I like (It is a different Root Beer)
Another beverage in which I liked is The Switch which uses real or natural juice(s), the Apricot-Peach is out of this world. It's not a soda but wow, this thing is gooood.

Lepke
05-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Manhattan Special Coffee Soda.

I hate the stuff but it is very high quality and some people just love it.
I guess you either love it or hate it.

Mr Zabe
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Green River....Just the look of it makes me sick.

Red Cream Soda.....Can't drink it, it looks sick to me.

New Diet Right Cola......Splenda infested swamp water. LOL

Hacksaw
05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge: For or against it!

Mr Zabe
05-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Against.
How could anything Chocolate Fudge ever taste good being Diet. LOL

[ 05-22-2006, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Moxie, Coke Blak, and Pepsi Blue come to my mind.

shadowlp06
05-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I agree with the previous posts...There are some unique one's out there. I have a funny story about Big Red. When I was 14 or so, we lived in Great Falls, Montana on the Air Force base there. My brother and I frequented the base gym and one day were looking for a drink after playing ball. We glanced through the cooler and the stand-by's were in there (Gatorade, Powerade, Water, Mineral Water), but something stood out, and it was Big Red, the only carbonated drink in there. I have to tell you, as odd as it seems, that ice cold Big Red hit the spot, and my brother and I were hooked everytime we went to the gym we grabbed one. Years later I saw it at a store I was working at and came across it again. I can't believe we liked that stuff. It seemed like liquid carbonated bubble gum. I guess your taste buds mature as you do or don't (hahaha). Maybe if I workout I'll have to try one again.

SURGE
05-23-2006, 11:20 AM
SURGE was a love it or hate it brand. TaB (cola) is another classic. Heck even Diet Coke qualifies. Josta and Blue, as well as Crystal and New Coke also come to mind.

CStoreCatMan
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Here's my Big Red story. I was probably about 20-22 yrs old. Went to my best friend's house where he and his father were making lunch. They had a 12pk of Big Red and offered me one. I had never tried it...and even though I was skeptical, I reluctantly took a can. I popped the top and instantly smelled carbonated Bubble Yum. Ok..even though that's a little weird, I'll try it. Tipped back the can and let that red devil hit my taste buds. It tasted exactly the way it smelled - carbonated bubble gum...YUCK! I handed the can back to my buddy. That was my first and last experience with the Big Nasty.

[ 05-23-2006, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

richcapo
05-28-2006, 12:57 AM
I have yet to taste a Splenda-flavored soda that I found anything better than disgusting.

And I find most HFCS sodas gross, too.

One soda that I recently discovered, and dig very much, is 7-11's Big Gulp. It's a sugar cane cola, believe it or not that is sold at $.99 per 2 liter (plastic -- sigh) bottle. Much better than brand leaders like Coke and Pepsi, imo.

Unfortunately, not many 7-11's carry the stuff. The one nearest to me recently stopped carrying it, as far as I can tell. Too bad.

But I got a local Boylan's source -- which kicks Big Gulp's ass, anyway -- so I'm still a happy boy.

_Rich

[ 05-28-2006, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: richcapo ]

iluvsurge220
06-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I agree about pepsi blue. IT was weird and a bunch of people hated it but I loved it. my favorite part was when it turned your tounge blue!! That was cool!!!

David J.
06-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I guess all soda's can be a love or hate product.

Skynet
06-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Vanilla Coke was one too, there were tons of us that loved the stuff to death, then others thought that it was god awful.

the saint
06-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Dr Pepper falls into this category as well. I know many many people who would rather die of dehydration than to drink it. I also know many many people who will only drink Dr Pepper.