PDA

View Full Version : So are MY Melon and Afterglow cancelled?

Robot
12-30-2003, 04:45 AM
Are these two officially done for?

I am starting to run low on my stocks, wonder if i should drink them more sparingly.

AFTERGLOW i absolutely fell in love with... at one point having a minimum of 1 a day for like a month. MELON, i liked it, but could do without easily.

Boris
12-30-2003, 10:47 AM
As directly quoted from a consolidated (Georgia) coke distributor in august 2003 when I asked about MY Melon, "We ain't makin' that mess no more"

sandwalker
12-30-2003, 10:22 PM
AFTERGLOW is still around in parts of NC. I know you can still get it around Raleigh. It seemed like it wasn't here at all a few months ago but I started to find it a few months ago. I also saw it over the holidays in the western part of the state.

I've never seen it around Durham and Sanford(which has diet Mello Yello 2-liters) both of which I believe are independent from Consolidated.

I really wish they would put it in cans. Melon and Cherry were available in cans, 2-liters and bottles. AFTERGLOW never got that chance. If Coke knew how to market something original like AFTERGLOW and gave it a chance i'm sure it would catch on but Coke only seems able to add citrus fruit flavors to diet coke. :rolleyes:

fusion
12-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Durham is definately an indie. When I was in their territory earlier this year, they had the Mello Yello line pre-priced at 89 cents for 20oz in Convenience stores. I think they run a bottle line and buy cans from Consolidated. I've seen .5L Mello Yello from them in Consolidated territory in northern WV, as well. Their code is AF. I think Sanford is SN.. but I really know nothing about Sanford.

Robot
12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
so it appears that melon is dead, and afterglow is still around possibly as 20 oz's huh

Terry K
12-31-2003, 06:07 PM
We know that CCE-HO (Indianapolis) and CCE-CV (Cleveland TN) still run Melon MY

We obtained Fridge Packs of Melon in August in Knoxville.

bigrich
12-31-2003, 06:38 PM
CCE-HO still runs Melon but is not available in the Indy area, although it is still available I believe in the Coca-Cola Louisville area. I will try to drive down on Friday and let everyone know.

teamtitan512
01-01-2004, 12:23 AM
From what I've heard, Coke United still runs Melon. As for Afterglow, did anyone but Consolidated ever run it?

Terry K
01-01-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
From what I've heard, Coke United still runs Melon. As for Afterglow, did anyone but Consolidated ever run it? Yep. CCE-CV (Cleveland TN) ran it.

bigrich
01-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Went to the area served by the Louisville Coca-Cola Bottling Company today and all signs of Melon Mello & Cherry Mello had vanished. There was not a 20oz. or a can to be found. I looked at Kroger, Winn Dixie, Jay C, Biggs, and a bunch of c-stores. I asked a route driver and he told me it was a "summer only product" and neither Indy or Cleveland still produced it. I have also seen quite a bit of it in the Elizabethtown, KY area in 20oz. from United & cans from Huntsville. I did not have the time to make the drive further down to check it out.

[ 01-02-2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Cheer-wined
01-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Afterglow is easier to find, around here, than it was a month or two ago. Still only 20oz and mostly in convenience stores, but I've also seen it in Staples and Dollar Tree.

can anyone confirm if melon is still being sold in the Knoxville area? i know someone passing by that way next week who can check, if you have a store name.

[ 01-02-2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

Terry K
01-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
Afterglow is easier to find, around here, than it was a month or two ago. Still only 20oz and mostly in convenience stores, but I've also seen it in Staples and Dollar Tree.

can anyone confirm if melon is still being sold in the Knoxville area? i know someone passing by that way next week who can check, if you have a store name. We found it at the Kroger in Maryville, TN in Fridge Packs.

Cheer-wined
01-04-2004, 01:04 PM
thanks Terry. I'll post what I find out, should know something in a week or so.

XLS2004
01-05-2004, 09:26 PM
The Mello Yello Afterglow is a promotional thing by the Coca-Cola company from what I was told.
The stuff your seeing in the dollar stores in 20oz. I am assuming is old stock and most likely has no experation date on the bottle. Maybe it will show up again next Summer, I don't know.

The other flavors melon, cherry are still are being made though.

Robot
01-06-2004, 01:57 AM
damn.. thats too bad about afterglow.. nobody really got to try one of the best tasting sodas ever (IMO)..

i still have a small stock of the stuff.. overall I have had 50-60 20 oz bottles shipped in over the last 4-5 months... that stuff is damn good.. i have had to purposefully slow down on my intake of it to make it last..

think ill try to get one more 15-20 bottle shipment and then just slowly drink those.

Cheer-wined
01-06-2004, 07:59 PM
you can still find Afterglow that's ok. I'm drinking one right now and the date is JAN2604, I bought it maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Cheer-wined
01-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Nothing good to report on the MY melon near Knoxville. My "scout" checked at both Kroger's in Maryville, a Food Lion and a Bi-Lo. He said that one of the Krogers still had a shelf sticker for it, but no melon in stock.

Cheer-wined
01-10-2004, 10:01 PM
ha! there was a second e-mail that I didn't see before I made that last post, better news this time - MY melon was found in Knoxville at a Kroger in fridgepacks. MY cherry too.

If you're a melon junkie and need some, I might be willing to make a swap. especially for something like fanta black cherry or cactus cooler.

[ 01-10-2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

ben
03-23-2004, 04:21 AM
here we have mello yello and diet mello yello . we used to have mello yello melon

melloyelloluver
06-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Mello Yello fans-please visit my Mello Yello website.
http://hometown.aol.com/jangomatt/drinkmelloyello.html

imawalkingcorpse
06-13-2004, 01:16 PM
I guess it may be totally gone by now.. if anyone has seen it recently please let me know. Thanks Chris