PDA

View Full Version : Soda in schools

MFfan310
01-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Our school (who signed a 5-year contract with CCE 3 1/2 years ago) just got some new Dixie-Narco glass-front Coke machines. Wow, they're sweet! Students really love them! smile.gif

However, my state's legislature wants to spoil the party. :mad: A new bill was introduced a while back that would require 50% of the soda machines to be filled with "healthy" drinks. My principal (who I have close ties with) HATES the bill, fearing it will cut sales (& profits), but he's prepared just in case-they also put in 4 new Minute Maid machines in case the new law is passed. He's also adding more diet sodas to the machines as well as looking into Swerve, Coke's new dairy drink, to boost sales, too.

So, onto the main topic: What do all you BevNetters think about this? Any experiences like this in your state? Do you support or oppose soda in schools?

fusion
01-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm kind of on the fence. Either way, they should be part of a larger portfolio of available drinks. Coke and Pepsi both make plenty of other available drinks in various packages.

Coke has 12oz PET Dasani, MM Apple, and MM Orange, along with the Powerade flavors and MM Smoothies. In 12oz cans, they have the new MM flavors (the ones that replaced Fruitopia) and Swerve. I think there may also be a 12oz PET Nestea (hot fill) in the works.

In 20oz, they've also got Lemonade/Pink/Light/Fruit Punch/Limeade, along with various Nestea flavors.

Plenty of non-carbonated options, and they should be available to students in addition to any sodas. Though I think that schools should try to avoid the higher caffeinated drinks, like Mello Yello and Dew. They should offer caffeine free versions of sodas, and a Sprite/Sierra Mist type drink as well.

golee1
01-10-2004, 01:07 AM
I was suprised to see a headline proclaiming that soda had been banned in canadian schools, but I then went on to read that it had actually only been banned in elementary schools. I don't think soft drinks have a part in elementary schools, but they're okay in middle and high school as long as there are other choices.

Boris
01-10-2004, 12:46 PM
I love how my school doesn't give a **** one way or another. They have a vending contact with pepsi to put machines in the commons. But they have a contract with coke to use their fountains in the lunch lines....

cph
01-10-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm not so sure schools should push soda in school anyway, especially in the younger grades.

Also some of the exclusive contracts the soda companies make with schools bother me. I know why they do it: schools always need money and getting it from taxpayers is like squeezing coke from a turnip.

On the other hand, a lot of politicians are making laws against soda in school, saying its "for the children". Actually, it's more about "for politicians publicity"....

Boris
01-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I think high school is alright but back when I was in middle school we didn't coke or pepsi. It was nothing but fruitopia or milk.... But I say if we americans can't be responable enough to watch our weight, Then that is pretty damn sad.

golee1
01-10-2004, 02:05 PM
same here, except in my middle we didn't have anything, and in high school we only had fruitopia and minute maid juices, and soda machines were cut on after school.

You don't miss what you never had.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-10-2004, 08:19 PM
my highschool had some machines on timers, no soda during class, but then they'd fiddlewith the schedule and the machines were off. me and a friend of mine kept a log of when machines went on and off and told only certain individuals.

cph
01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
We really weren't supposed to have soda at all, so the machines had cartons of milk, orange juice and apple juice (for some ridiculously low price like 10 cents/carton or so)

But....there was this one soda machine sort of hidden behind the girls' gym ... it dispensed store brand sodas for 25c/can.

This was early 80's...

karks88
01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I am not convinced that a few sodas per day makes anybody obese.

Someone told me the other day that one of our local high schools actually sells McDonald's food during lunch! How about blaming some of that for the obesity problem? Drinking one or two cans of soda at lunch is not going to make the average person overweight. Stuffing Quarter Pounders down their throat, though, is not the best idea.

I do agree that there should be more of a variety.

[ 01-12-2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

Ron Swedelson
01-12-2004, 12:29 PM
But if you do the math, and only if it held true to taking the calories out, or maybe just the empty calories. A can of coke has what, 110 cal.*2 per day*180 school days = 39600 cal. 3,000 cal to a pound right (corect me if Im wrong) or 13.2 lbs. per year. The first time I was able to have soda daily was in middle school. Yeah, schools do also sell taco bell, pizza and other crap, but it does need to start somewere. If people start drinking less soda at school and drink more juice and milk, then I think it will get things on the way.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ron Swedelson:
But if you do the math, and only if it held true to taking the calories out, or maybe just the empty calories. A can of coke has what, 110 cal.*2 per day*180 school days = 39600 cal. 3,000 cal to a pound right (corect me if Im wrong) or 13.2 lbs. per year. The first time I was able to have soda daily was in middle school. Yeah, schools do also sell taco bell, pizza and other crap, but it does need to start somewere. If people start drinking less soda at school and drink more juice and milk, then I think it will get things on the way. agreed. we may love the stuff, but the little kiddies can't just guzzle it.

KanKing
01-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Their parents probably feed them garbage at home anyway.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-13-2004, 02:37 PM
two new laws in michigan up for voting:

1 - new tax on soda pop.
probs: soda in grocery stores is a not for immediate consumption food item, therefore nontaxable by sales tax.

2 - a bill that would force schools to turn off vending machines during the day

by the way, this seems liek the number one soccer mom or dateline crisis of the week.

SURGE
01-26-2004, 12:51 AM
As a guy whose just about done with public education I can say that this is a perfect example of people treating children like morons. The trust us to not fight and ride the bus and do homework, but find us incapible of choosing food? Though I agree that healthy choices must be avalible I dont think that means that soda must be removed.

Coco Rico
01-26-2004, 01:58 AM
I agree with Surge in that at a certain age, we must allow individuals to be accountable for their own actions. However, that should probably be high-school age and beyond. Any younger, and we reinforce bad habits in children.

The real tragedy is that schools are forced to seek out these soda contracts due to cuts in government spending towards education, and the reality is that most schools must reach certain case quotas every year to receive the full payout from a Coke or Pepsi contract.

This means school officials must look the other way in regards to their students well being in order to generate enough revenues to keep the school operating. They push as much product as they can, even going so far as to allow students to drink sodas in the classroom, all for the sake of increasing consumption.

There really is no party to spoil - as MFfan310 put it. Unless the contract is mediated by a 3rd party (which most beverage companies strive to avoid), the school typically gets a deal heavily favoring the soda company and forcing school officials to become pimps for the sodas they carry.

CR

cph
02-12-2004, 12:51 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-soda12feb12,1,48178.story

Nibbling at the ice cream cone he said was his lunch, eyes fixed longingly on the campus vending machine where the Pepsi used to be, Yan Popkov revealed himself to be an unhappy young man.

"I hate it!" the 14-year-old Hollywood High freshman said of the Los Angeles Unified School District's month-old ban on sugary sodas. "Soda is basically the only thing I drink. It's the only reason I'm up."

glassbottlesrule
02-12-2004, 05:00 PM
I have no problem with vending in high school. If kids are old enough to drive, enlist, and cause themselves other forms of bodily damage, they are old enough to decide what to drink. The problem is the vending at the primary and middleschool level. The soda companies contract with the schools for a captive audience with no parental guidence.

Energydude
02-12-2004, 08:50 PM
This has been my point all along in another thread. Coke and Pepsi are marketing to children and in elementary schools?????? We are selling our youth to people pushing sugar water and that is ok??? :mad: Not to me! Get that garbage out of the schools, I am all for healthy products sugar water or drinks with aspartame....no thanks.

ben
03-23-2004, 02:56 AM
my old school had 5 vending things

first one
coca-cola classic
coca-cola classic
coca-cola classic
coca-cola classic
diet coke
vanilla coke
vanilla coke
vanilla coke
vanilla coke
cherry coke
2nd one
sprite
sprite
mello yello
mello yello
diet mello yello
diet mello yello
barq's root beer
barq's root beer
mr.pibb
mr.pibb
3rd one
coca-cola classic
coca-cola classic
vanilla coke
vanilla coke
mello yello
barq's toot beer
sunny d
canada dry gingeral
fanta orange
crush orange
4th one
nestea cool lemon iced tea
nestea cool lemon iced tea
minutemaid lemonaid
minutemaid lemonaid
fruitopia
fruitopia
fruitopia
fruitopia
dasani
dasani
dasani
dasani
5th one
powerade
powerade
powerade
powerade
powerade
powerade
dasani
dasani
dasani
dasani
minutemaid
manitemaid

FitzgeraldHead
03-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Wow, I wish I could remember that much about the vending machines at my old school. Now that I live in Atlanta, and the Coca-Cola headquarters are like right next to me, I don't think I've seen any Pepsi vending machines, certainly not on this campus!

DietCokeEnthusiast
03-23-2004, 02:44 PM
At the high school near my house they got rid of all of the soda machines (and doing so, left soda bottles unattended, causing them to be stolen) while at the middle school near my house, they still have a soda machine (it isn't that large)...what's up with that?