PDA

View Full Version : Diet Sodas not lableing carbs??!!??

Tone
05-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I was on a message board for diets and there was a discussion on good diet soads to drink. Anyway one of the Main Moderators of the board and a Dr had this to say about certain diets sodas from the big companys like coke and pepsi.

Just as a side note, the diet Mountain dew has carbs, about 3-5+/- I think, but I have to agree it tastes good .

The soda companies (i.e. pepsi/coke - the only two) has enough pull w/ the FDA where they can go over the guideline of .99 carbs per serving and you show the carbs as 0. They can do about 1.5+/- per serving and claim 0 (avg 2.5 servings per bottle).
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this???

popologist
05-27-2006, 01:28 PM
don't you think you probably burn that 1.5 calorie just lifting the can to your mouth over and over? LOL.

i wouldn't worry too much about it, tone.

why don't you open an ice cold coke zero and just chill. ;)

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Yes, it's true.

Zero calorie beverages usually have a few calories in them, but state that they have none. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Coke or Pepsi's "pull" with the FDA.

I'm pretty sure that if you have something like 5 or less calories(or sugar, or carbohydrates, or whatever), then you don't have to state them.

This is why most diet drinks state they have 0 calories and Pepsi One says that it has 1. Because at that level, you may say any number below 5 or so.

popologist
05-27-2006, 01:55 PM
that's the way i understood it too, DJ.

although, i did read somewhere that coke zero actually has "zero" calories... and diet coke has under 2.

and, like i said above, the amount is so miniscule, does it really even matter? i mean, even if diet coke had 2 calories per serving, if someone drank a whole 2-liter, they'd still only have consumed 20 calories or so... and it probably takes that much energy just to digest it. LOL.

Mr Zabe
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
LOL
For once it appears we are all in agreement on this thread. LOL It must be a Memorial weekend miracle.LOL smile.gif