PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull 4-PKs.

Bad Credit
01-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Are they pulling through in many accounts ? I'm sure mass merchants and grocery stores sell quite a bit, but what about c-stores ?

Robot
01-20-2004, 04:18 PM
the 4 pack seems like a dumb idea at the current price.. i always see it for $6.99, which is $1 in savings versus buying 4 cans.

if it was like $6 or $5, it would be a little nicer.. however, you can go to sam's club and get a case for $31.

i'd love to see discount larger quantities for Sobe Andrenaline/No Fear and also Mountain Dew: AMP, which seems to do well.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-20-2004, 04:45 PM
the fourpack is for the mass merchants, and they do sell quite a bit, from what i understand.

boodoo
01-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Singles sell great but 4-packs are slow in the c-stores I do business with.

Xtrem
01-21-2004, 12:33 PM
A reason why 4 packs may sell less even if they offer a reduction in price is that an energy drink still isn't regarded by a lot of people as an every day drink like your cola or coffee which tends to makes people just buy them in singles.

Another problem is simply that if another brand other than Red Bull was to reduce their price the consumer may consider that product of inferior quality. A classic example is that if lets say a very well known sports shoe sells for $100 and other brand has the same type for $50 I can bet you the known sports shoe will outsell the cheaper once 10/1.

Unfortunately price is normally governed by the market leader.

fusion
01-21-2004, 02:08 PM
I tend to think of energy drinks as a immediate consumption purchase. I can only think of two times that I've bought them warm, but I've bought them plenty of times cold at a 7-11 or other convenience stores.

We have a few of the rest stops along I-95 in our area, and I've heard they do really well with KMX. If I stock two cases a month in the various grocery stores I work in, that's a lot.

I wonder how Full Throttle (Coke's new 16oz energy drink) will affect KMX sales.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
for the people that truly love red bull, they do buy the four packs. i go into a couple meijer's by my school and they do about 12 cases a week of four packs, even less singles. for new year's, they did a giant jagermeister and four pack red bull/red bull lite display. sold like a motha.

but in convenience stores, yeah, i'd say the singles are goingto dominate and you will see red bull reps rip up the four packs and let the store have an extra buck or two.

Ron Swedelson
01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
I see most of the 4-packs in the cold shelf. Out here in the Bay Area I see a lot of people that buy 2 cans at a time. I'd never personaly buy a 4 pack of Red Bull, it would last me about 3 years. But I guess it is a good idea, except that now they are taking even more space away from the rest of us.

Xtrem
01-22-2004, 02:09 PM
This is a web site that I found that may explain why most people don't like multi packs

http://www.canmakers.co.uk/industry/consumer_preferences.asp

Coco Rico
01-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Actually, the website mentioned that people prefer cans and multi-packs of cans over, plastic bottles and multi-packs of plastic bottles. It stated the multi-pack was perceived as a value to the consumer over individual cans.

I think the 4-pack is a good idea since the price of buying a whole case of Red Bull or any energy drink is quite prohibitive for the average consumer.

Wholesalers and Mass Merchandizers seem to still do well selling discounted cases, however the four-pack seems better suited as a value item for the c-store customer that buys multiple cans a week, but doesn't want to shell out $40-$48 for a whole case.

And to Ron's point, it does seem like yet another way for Red Bull to occupy even more shelf space.

CR