PDA

View Full Version : Who would actually pay this much for a discontinued soda?!

nWoAssassin94
06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I have always liked the selection at the Soda Finder website, but I also have a slight problem with some of the prices that they charge. When they started selling Pepsi Blue for $300 per 12-pack, I thought I had seen it all. Now, they are selling Mr. Pibb for $700 per 12-pack! Plus, Pepsi Blue and Mr. Green have both went up in price. See for yourself:

http://sodafinder.com/soda_discontinued.html

Mr Zabe
06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah I see your point. Come on,$6 for a 2ltr of KFP Coke???

And $12 for the Snapple 4pk of pie flavors.
Heck I thought paying $4 for it a few months ago was a bad deal, considering IMO the flavors sucked. LOL

I would love to try some of the regional brands but I rather not spend the big bucks on getting them. :(

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I would pay $10 for a mexican Coca-Cola Vainilla... tongue.gif

iowacity
06-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I've got an 'oil can' of Surge around somewhere, I think. What can I get for that.

Skynet
06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
I would pay $10 for a mexican Coca-Cola Vainilla... tongue.gif I would pay that much for ANY Vanilla Coke :(

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I think prices like these are really meant for people like Wonkapete who need to continue a collection, not drink them.

01GTB
06-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Wonkapete probably has all of them. These are for Wonkapete wannabes ;)

Originally posted by Skynet:

I would pay that much for ANY Vanilla Coke :( If you were closer, we could do business :D Shipping on the stuff is brutal though.

Mr Zabe
06-02-2006, 01:08 AM
So true. smile.gif Wonkapete is the King of soda pop collectors.

Popboy
06-02-2006, 01:19 AM
His prices for discontinued soda is ridiculous...

Doug
06-02-2006, 01:28 AM
$16 for a 12 pack of CV Dr Pepper?

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
i just got four 12pks for 9 bucks...

CStoreCatMan
06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Those prices are completely out of hand. It would be different if we were talking about sodas/packages from LONG ago...but some of these items are still pretty recent. There's no way I would pay that kind of money for anything on that site...

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
You gotta realize that this guy isn't exactly getting pallets of wholesale soda delivered to his garage. He drives his car to various places and stocks up. You've seen gas prices, have you not?

He needs to base the price off of various things. Sure, a 12-pack of Cheerwine may be 12 dollars a pack. I know that when I'm at home in VA, I can walk a block to my supermarket and pick up a pack for 3 dollars. But for our west coast friends, that may be a dream come true. By the way, you can buy things one can/bottle at a time.

He also needs to price things according to how difficult it is for him to get a product. I don't know where he lives, but if he lives much south than New York or Pennsylvania, then consider yourself lucky, for example, that he's not charging even more for his Moxie.

He may be inflating the price to pay for his trouble, but he has to keep up his business somehow.

As for discontinued sodas, you need to cut him even more slack. He can charge whatever he wants; there is no ground level price to which it can be compared. He already says on the site that he's run out of things like Surge. So why should he sell his LAST(literally) few cans of something for cheap? Would you sell a good condition 1969 Ford Mustang for cheap or would you rightfully charge what such a rare item should bring? Sure, you may be able to get something on ebay for a cheaper price, but Brian is more reputable in the long run I would say.

His service is most definitely not meant for junkies of newly-discontinued sodas. Panicked people hoping to get a few more cans of Pepsi Vanilla or Sprite Remix Aruba Jam should steer clear, unless you're willing to pay that high a price in bulk. This site is more for people who are trying to get small amounts of soda from their childhood, or a discontinued soda just to remember what it tastes like, not to gorge on it.

Last summer I bought some sodas from him. I got about 5 or 6 cans from him, paid about 9 dollars and a few extra for shipping. They were sodas I had never had before. It was totally worth the price.

There, so I've defended him. I'm ready for the onslaught.

BATBL18
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
No DJ, I completely agree. I can understand the higher price tags because for some people even payiing $20 plus shipping is still cheaper and more covenvenient than driving to go find the product. Yes they are high prices on the discontinued, but hey, if someone wants to pay $700 on Pibb, kudos to them, and to him for charging that. If you dont' like the price you don't have to buy it. But obviously he gets enough people to buy to justify those prices and to justify selling rare sodas over the past few years.

Look In The Tunk
06-03-2006, 01:22 AM
I usually don't agree with anything DJ HawaiianShirt says, but I am friends with Brian (ok, biased) and DJ HawaiianShirt is totally right.

And, Brian has a car that barely works right now and he's trying to raise money to fix his car. That's why he started to put the collectors items up. I'm not trying to do a pity post or anything, I'm just saying.

nWoAssassin94
06-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Even though I started this topic, I understand what you guys are saying. However, when you compare the prices on his site to those on other sites that sell rare and discontinued sodas, such as eBay, you can see that most people don't pay nearly as much for the same sodas that are on Soda Finder. For example, I recently bought an unopened 12-pack of Pepsi Blue for $65 on eBay. Also, as a longtime supporter of SaveSURGE.org, I know that the record price for a 12-pack of SURGE on eBay is $160.08. Even though Soda Finder doesn't carry SURGE, it still provides an example of how most people wouldn't pay $200 for soda. The only exception would be sodas imported from other countries, such as URGE (from Norway), simply because of the high shipping costs.

I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything like that because I like the service that Soda Finder provides. I just disagree with the prices that they charge for some of their sodas, and the way that the prices of certain sodas are raised significantly at random. After all, their one 12-pack of Pepsi Blue started out at $300, then went down to $200, and then skyrocketed to $500. If no one bought it for $200, then why do they think that someone would decide to buy it for over twice as much as the previous price? The same can be said for Mr. Green, which started out at $125 and then went to $200. Also, single cans of New Coke / Coke II, Dr. Slice, Josta, and Mr. Pibb started out at $50 and then went to $100. Those are some of the things that I don't understand.

[ 06-03-2006, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: nWoAssassin94 ]

fusion
06-03-2006, 06:16 PM
It's his site, he can charge what he wants.

Personally, I wouldn't even pay $65 for a 12 pack of soda. Maybe $5.

01GTB
06-03-2006, 11:35 PM
I watched as Vanilla Coke went up on Ebay. For a while there, a fridge packs were exceeding $25 :eek: I decided I had to get in on that action! I started looking. Nothing. Looked some more. Nothing. Maybe there was a reason for the high prices redface.gif After going into probably 30 stores, most of them the type that don't move much stock, I scored five 12-packs.

By this time ebay prices had fallen to the $10-15 range. I can almost guarantee I used 6 gallons of gas looking for these. And probably wasted at least five hours searching. My first attempt at selling landed me less than 8 bucks. The next attempt ended up in me ending the auction bacause of stupid requests to discount my price or shipping because "I was making a killing."

Here is an example of making a killing with one item I sold. I put one of my KFP Coke two liters on ebay with no reserve. I had no good reason to sell it other than I had a few too many to last me through the expiration date. I gave a few to friends, and I figured what the heck? I'll put one on ebay and see if someone wants it.

It sat at $1 for days, then someone jumped in an raised it all the way to $5.75. With three hours left to go in the auction, I got an email from the high bidder saying he (or she) wanted out because they had found 4 two liters for $20 and it was about the same shipping price as my one. Well the fact of it was, they were on the other side of the country, and that was the difference in the shipping. Another bidder got in and I ended up selling it for $4.25. I think the total with shipping was just over $16. That buyer was on the other side of the country as well. My shipping charge was just over 12 bucks, UPS ground. I said, what the heck, the money is already lost, and just spent the extra 50 cents and sent it USPS Priority. Shipping cost me $12.95. Between Ebay and Paypal, there was another almost $2. With the cost of the drink, I ended up in the hole about 50 cents. I won't even figure in the time and wasted gas trying to find these elusive drinks. Then having to carfully package it to ship. I didn't make anything. The buyer had to pay $16 for a two-liter drink. The only ones who did make anything were Ebay and USPS.

[ 06-03-2006, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

fusion
06-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Always use flat rate boxes when shipping soda.

01GTB
06-04-2006, 01:08 AM
I could only find two flat rate boxes. Do they make others? With the biggest, it was so close, fitting only at an angle and diagonally in the box, that I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Doug
06-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
I watched as Vanilla Coke went up on Ebay. For a while there, a fridge packs were exceeding $25 :eek: I decided I had to get in on that action! I started looking. Nothing. Looked some more. Nothing. Maybe there was a reason for the high prices redface.gif After going into probably 30 stores, most of them the type that don't move much stock, I scored five 12-packs.

By this time ebay prices had fallen to the $10-15 range. I can almost guarantee I used 6 gallons of gas looking for these. And probably wasted at least five hours searching. My first attempt at selling landed me less than 8 bucks. The next attempt ended up in me ending the auction bacause of stupid requests to discount my price or shipping because "I was making a killing."

Here is an example of making a killing with one item I sold. I put one of my KFP Coke two liters on ebay with no reserve. I had no good reason to sell it other than I had a few too many to last me through the expiration date. I gave a few to friends, and I figured what the heck? I'll put one on ebay and see if someone wants it.

It sat at $1 for days, then someone jumped in an raised it all the way to $5.75. With three hours left to go in the auction, I got an email from the high bidder saying he (or she) wanted out because they had found 4 two liters for $20 and it was about the same shipping price as my one. Well the fact of it was, they were on the other side of the country, and that was the difference in the shipping. Another bidder got in and I ended up selling it for $4.25. I think the total with shipping was just over $16. That buyer was on the other side of the country as well. My shipping charge was just over 12 bucks, UPS ground. I said, what the heck, the money is already lost, and just spent the extra 50 cents and sent it USPS Priority. Shipping cost me $12.95. Between Ebay and Paypal, there was another almost $2. With the cost of the drink, I ended up in the hole about 50 cents. I won't even figure in the time and wasted gas trying to find these elusive drinks. Then having to carfully package it to ship. I didn't make anything. The buyer had to pay $16 for a two-liter drink. The only ones who did make anything were Ebay and USPS. Sit on those Vanilla Cokes for a year until they go up near $100

Tons O' Fun
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/crazyman312/Vanilla.jpg
They have it 3 for 10 bucks here. I am sitting on allot of money if i buy and sell them for 10 bucks a 12 pk. HA HA HA

fusion
06-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
I could only find two flat rate boxes. Do they make others? With the biggest, it was so close, fitting only at an angle and diagonally in the box, that I decided it wasn't worth the risk. No, they just make two. You could always remove the soda from the box and ship the empty box inside the other box with the cans.

it sure was easier with the old 3x4s...

DrPepperYummy
06-04-2006, 09:13 PM
well if mr pibb is ging for 700 a 12pack.. I think I am going to run back to the jewel store now and pick some up... I need to pay for retirement somehow. how about 79.95 for a can with a letter of authenticity (I'll photocopy the store receipt with a picture of me holding my thumb up)

Doug
06-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Sodafinder.com reserves the right cancel an order. Orders are to be made only for products to be consumed by the purchaser. Any resale or redistribution is strictly prohibited.Who would resell anything from there, and for what point? So you can lose money?

DrPepperYummy
06-04-2006, 09:38 PM
You know after checking that website for what it sells... aside from a few discontinued items, everything is sitting in my city for sale around 2.50 a 12pack regularly... I've even got things I don't see on there which I think would be more limited.... sunkist diet lemonade, diet vernors, and the list just goes on... I guess I feel blessed having such a good vareity of things people can't seem to get.

So what does one need to sell soda online, anyone want to handle the online stuff and I'll drop-ship the inventory for you?

01GTB
06-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
No, they just make two. You could always remove the soda from the box and ship the empty box inside the other box with the cans.

it sure was easier with the old 3x4s...Oh yeah, the thought of shipping the cans like that crossed my mind. But trying to cram a 2 liter in one looked like an accident waiting to happen :D

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by DrPepperYummy:
well if mr pibb is ging for 700 a 12pack.. I think I am going to run back to the jewel store now and pick some up... I need to pay for retirement somehow. how about 79.95 for a can with a letter of authenticity (I'll photocopy the store receipt with a picture of me holding my thumb up) Are you sure it's not Pibb Xtra that you're seeing in the store?

fusion
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I mailed a 1.5L bottle plus a few other things in one last week with no problems.

Nick Laugher
06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
SPRITE ICE!!!!!!!

Oh god, I must have it.

nWoAssassin94
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
UPDATE: Mr. Pibb and Mr. Green have both went up $50 in price, and Sprite Ice has went up $10.

SPLASTiK
06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
There was still Vanilla Coke on Amazon.com a couple months ago, just checked now but not anymore.

Amazon actually has a pretty big beverage section. Also related products like Dr Pepper Beef jerkey, etc.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Tons O' Fun:
They have it 3 for 10 bucks here. I am sitting on allot of money if i buy and sell them for 10 bucks a 12 pk. HA HA HA oooh, man pepsi twist! thats been gone here for over a year! all we have is diet... if you get some of that, i might buy some when i get some extra money...

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Tons O' Fun:
They have it 3 for 10 bucks here. I am sitting on allot of money if i buy and sell them for 10 bucks a 12 pk. HA HA HA Sweeeeeet... tongue.gif