PDA

View Full Version : How do you launch a new product?

jordo
01-21-2004, 04:26 PM
I am interested on information on launching a new product, a drink mixer (no alcohol in it). Not sure if this is the place for the answer, but one of the places I post it is bound to be the right place. This mixer, people call to have made all the time. When walking around the local parties (some 1000's of people at fraternity parties) I hear people talking about how great it is. There is no doubt that people will be hooked on this mixer if they try it. I figure why not sell it commercially.

A friend's Dad gave us this recipe from his grandfather and we have been making it for all the local parties for the past four years. The kid’s father is a character himself. He is a very likeable and friendly man, with one killer recipe. When we bring friends over to meet him or hangout he tells us about dreams to deck in his entire backyard or convert the wrecked truck into a garden (mind you this is an upscale neighborhood, but yes in the South). I want to use his character to market the mixer. He is always in his converted “living room-garage” with gallons on this drink made. Nightly he sips his drink using one of those bendy straws out of this huge plastic mug. Enough on him, maybe I will just write a story on him later.

I have done a little research and have found many different areas I am confused about; for example what questions to ask. We have several ideas on marketing, some very good free ideas to market, free access to professional website design, and etc.

Here is a list of my major questions: 1.) What are the government regulations for distributing the product (where would I find them)?, 2.) What are the legal issues when using several ingredients to make the mixer (do you pay for rights to use them, use generics….)? Add in any other information or links I would find useful. Thanks.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-21-2004, 07:00 PM
you should be in some of the classes i have for school, such as "new product development" and so forth. i bet i could tell you in a few weeks.

sounds like a good idea, hope it isn't tom collins mix.

Xtrem
01-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Not sure how accurate this is but here goes.

Firstly register a company, second register your company with the FDA. You have to register to be able to sell any type of product that consumed by humans or animals.

Now comes the fun part, get copy right on your product in all the countries you ever expect to sell in. Now comes the really hard part, unless you have a serious amount of money ($100,000 min) you will find it extremely hard to produce your drink unless you are going to do it completely yourself. You will need to find a company that makes either bottles or cans, then a company to fill the bottles or cans and also a company to perhaps provide you with all the ingredients.

Another important factor to consider is definitely the name and design.

Xtrem
01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
I forgot to mention the hardest part of all, you need to find yourself honest and reliable distributors to sell your drink.

BOOK
01-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Read the book Syrup by Maxx Barry.....it will teach you ALOT.