PDA

View Full Version : Vault vs. MDX

cokepa
06-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I saw an interesting sign today on a Pepsi cooler. It has a picture of a bottle of MDX and a bottle of Vault side by side. In between the bottles is a checklist with a list of the common energy drink ingredients. Of course they are all checked off on MDX's checklist and not on Vault's list.

What do you think of this? I am admittedly partial to Vault but this kind of advertising makes me think Pepsi is scared of Vault and it taking away market share from them. It's interesting to see two competing products on the same advertisement. Course I thought Vault was aimed more at Mountain Dew than MDX anyway. How long has it been since Vault was intorduced in test markets? Wasn't it introduced before MDX, at least in test markets?

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah I think by forcefully drawing a comparison to MDX, Pepsi is probably going to lose this one.

Also, by the way you described it, Pepsi is taking an approach ala the energy drink market by advertising its ingredients, not its taste.

I'd bet you can't find many non-Pepsi loyalists to admit that MDX tastes better than Vault.

BATBL18
06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
As a huge Vault fan and drinker, I find nothing wrong with MDX, besides the fact it comes in a smaller size(not to mention no cans or 2 liters), and the more expensive price. I understand because of the ingredients that it may cost more to produce but if they could make the packaging bigger and lower the MSRP price point, and not lower it from old stock I think it could do well. I actually enjoy the taste of MDX but i'm sure like other I cannot justify buying it for their price when I can get a Vault for cheaper.

cokepa
06-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Another thing on the ad was that Vault is a "poser", i.e. just posing as an energy drink, and not the real thing like MDX. I kind of agree with that. IMO, energy drinks have those ingredients like taurine, etc. and Vault doesn't have them so I don't consider it an energy drink. It's just a great tasting, caffeinated soda to me.

Maybe Vault is aimed to compete with Dew and then Coke decided to add the bit to the label about being a "hybrid energy soda" to compete with MDX. So I think Pepsi is correct in their ad, I just think they are running scared.

Skynet
06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I like both. I agree that the only problem MDX has right now is that it's bottles are so small vs the pretty standard size you get with vault. smile.gif I honestly thought MDX was basicly dead/pulled for a time because you couldn't find it anywhere. But then one day I saw it back in a store, so it was all good, at last for now. Was the reason they just ran out of something they put in it?

David J.
06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I like both drinks, but the smaller size of MDX, and the high price prevents me from buying it as much as I buy Vault.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Vault is not a poser because it is not trying to be an energy drink. Coke may have put some ambiguous words on its label, but it is a soda first and foremost.

popologist
06-03-2006, 07:25 AM
so what exactly makes vault a "hybrid energy soda"? is it just caffeine?

because, if so, then the MDX ad makes a good point.

my guess is that pepsi did some market research and discovered that vault drinkers were under the impression that vault is an energy drink... and they' just trying to set the record straight.

for, if vault isn't really an energy drink, then mt dew drinkers don't really have a reason to drink it. you see?

i don't think pepsi is too concerned about MDX. this is about mt dew... in my opinion.

[ 06-03-2006, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
for, if vault isn't really an energy drink, then mt dew drinkers don't really have a reason to drink it. you see?

Because it tastes better? That's my biased opinion.

Does ANYONE go by taste anymore an not by herbs or caffeine?

Mr Zabe
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
DJHS is right.....I drink for taste. MD and Vault taste damn good. IMO

Vault_Dewer
06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
My view is that they say energy on it so people who have never tried an energy drink will think it's cool and buy it because it also has a cheap price.

Dewman1979
06-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Livewire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taste so good.

When flavored vaults come out, i will be interested in them.

Skynet
06-03-2006, 10:49 PM
well coke's ads for it are "drinks like a soda kicks like an energy drink" the "like" part can be interpreted in different ways.

redchucks219
06-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Skynet:
"drinks like a soda kicks "like" an energy drink"Exactly, IMO they are not claiming to be an energy drink, or even a hybrid. When it's all said and done, Vault is still a mainstream soda, and is marketed to take down, or at least compete with Dew.

[ 06-03-2006, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: redchucks219 ]

Mr Zabe
06-04-2006, 12:13 AM
It seems that people see what they want to see and beleive what they think they saw. LOL

I agree. Vault is just a good soda pop with a higher amount of caffeine than MD.

popologist
06-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by popologist:

Because it tastes better? That's my biased opinion.

Does ANYONE go by taste anymore an not by herbs or caffeine? </font>[/QUOTE]good point.

but, then, we already know that not everyone drinks soda for its taste. ;)

greg
06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
Vault is not a poser because it is not trying to be an energy drink. Coke may have put some ambiguous words on its label, but it is a soda first and foremost. I think although Coke says it is a soda but kicks like an energy drink it is talking out of both sides of its mouth. They are playing offense and defense at the same time. Create confusion so consumers take a second look.
There ads in my opinion show it as an energy drink.

CStoreCatMan
06-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Agreed. Because, in the SoCal market, I heard radio advertising that called Vault an energy drink...it lasted for several weeks and was changed later. But, I do think Coke was kind of trying to play both sides of the coin here.

My opinion, is that Pepsi is drawing the comparison to MDX intentionally in order to show that Vault is nothing more than a caffeinated soda and does not contain any actual energy ingredients. I still haven't seen any data or sales that would tell me Pepsi has any reason to fear Vault...at least not in my market. Its not exactly setting the world on fire down here...

iluvsurge220
06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Skynet made a good point and DJHS too. OF course MDX had all the checks because Vault isn't an energy drink, but all the caffeine in it can give people a kick. And DJHS, you are right. It is the taste that matters. That is why I buy vault. I would buy MDX too because it has a good taste. It's just too expensive.