PDA

View Full Version : Do the new Dew (again)

fusion
01-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Word is the new Dew flavor will be Pitch Black.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/0104/23dew.html)

cph
01-25-2004, 03:00 AM
There was no indication of a possible flavor for the [Mountain Dew Pitch Black] soft drink.Licorice? (just hazarding a guess....)

[ 01-25-2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: cph ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-25-2004, 11:17 AM
grape?
black cherry?
doesn't necesarily have to be a black colored flavor for them to dye it black...

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-25-2004, 11:18 AM
oooh i got it...

evil.

yes, the wonderful taste of evil.

cph
01-25-2004, 12:02 PM
doesn't necesarily have to be a black colored flavor for them to dye it black...Black Lemonade? (a la Skeleteens) :)

the saint
01-25-2004, 08:51 PM
livewire is to be relaunched around march 1st. no knowledge of any other dew flavor.

Terry K
01-26-2004, 03:55 AM
I have a pretty good idea what Pepsi has in mind for this latest extension of Dew. I suspect strongly its going to be black cherry. (The description kind of hints that toward me)

teamtitan512
01-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Will it actually taste any different than Code Red? That's what I'm wondering. I'm figuring right now that Pepsi just takes Code Red, and colors it black.

fusion
02-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Black Cherry and Cherry are two totally different flavors. It's hard for me to suggest a comparison for you.. But around here, Canada Dry makes Wild Cherry and Black Cherry sodas, and they taste completely different. The Matrix/NHL Powerade is also a black cherry flavor.

Robot
02-02-2004, 03:51 PM
i guess if anyone sees any more word on this, post about it!

i love all Dew varieties! the more the merrier!

KanKing
02-02-2004, 07:32 PM
They can call it Mountain Dew: Coal Tar! How about Mountain Dew Blueberry? Thats an underused flavor. They can call it Mountin Dewberry, Or Mountian Blewberry. HA HA, won't happen! :D

[ 02-02-2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: KanKing ]

teamtitan512
02-04-2004, 10:56 PM
I know they have different flavors, but I wonder if Pepsi is taking the color route, instead of the flavor route. It's been done many times in drinks like Kool-Aid, etc. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pepsi pull a similar stunt.

Cheer-wined
02-04-2004, 11:10 PM
i wonder which Pepsi bottlers will get it first? which ones got the other MD flavors first?

teamtitan512
02-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Livewire was rolled out nationally I believe, as was Code Red. I wouldn't see why this wouldn't go national as well.

Shatter
02-06-2004, 02:10 PM
It would make sense if they did a limited test market of Pitch Black, kind of what they did with Pepsi Twist. I first saw Pepsi Twist in the New Orleans area, but not in Dallas for the first summer it was out.

Terry K
02-07-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't think Pepsi will do test-marketing with the new dew, primarily due to folks like us soda geeks who will travel to wherever to get a product. (Its hilarious that Coke guys I know have had fits that I've been able to get Fridge Packs long before they did)

Pepsi did test market two new Dew flavours before settling on Code Red in a un-named Northeastern market (I've *heard* it was RC-Winchester, but never able to prove that) One of those was Code Red, the other I believe was Blue Shock.

Surge was test marketed in New Orleans (yes, New Orleans!), Storm was test marketed in Omaha, Denver, and parts of California. Mr Green was sold in most non-DP Pepsi markets (even Worland/Admiral ran it for their non-DP territory!!!)

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-08-2004, 05:57 PM
storm was also tested in dayton, ohio, a landmark of product-testing.

teamtitan512
02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
I never saw anything in RC Winchester out of the ordinary, they just had Code Red when everyone else did. I guess I can attest for this, considering of all the people here, I'm probably the closest to and most familiar w/RC Winchester's area/.

karks88
02-10-2004, 08:19 AM
I remember getting a Philadelphia TV station on the dish a few years back and seeing Storm commercials. I could watch that station and see Storm and SURGE all in the same half hour. Life was good!

The Alternative Crow
02-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by KanKing:
They can call it Mountain Dew: Coal Tar! How about Mountain Dew Blueberry? Thats an underused flavor. They can call it Mountin Dewberry, Or Mountian Blewberry. HA HA, won't happen! :D Acutualy, a year ago, they had a Moutian Blue Cooler at 7-11 but It is not avalible anymore. And this pitch black MD, it's a good idea but It won't stand a chance against Black Lemonade. Now THAT, is a lemonade that has EVIL in it.

SURGE
03-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Man Storm was good stuff, a really cool concept I must say. Still have an unopened 20oz from Vegas.

xJABBERWOCKx
03-14-2004, 10:02 PM
What, are they trying to market Dew to the goth kiddies now? I would think enough goths drink mountain dew, as it is horrible for your health and keeps you up and energized late enough for all those clubbing sessions. Are they going to have Robert Smith endorse it? If the song "Pictures of You" is being used for a grossly obvious Kodiak commercial, I don't see why not. He could do something "extreme" like hang himself the way they bungee jump in the regular commercials

Shatter
03-20-2004, 12:31 AM
I got it from the horse's mouth today (My store's Pepsi representative), the new Mountain Dew might not be called Pitch Black, but it will definitely be grape flavored. Which makes sense, I suppose, considering that Pepsi doesn't even bottle it's own grape flavor here. Anyway, the new MD is supposed to be out in the fall, probably around Halloween time, according to the early info he was given.

Tannerman
07-19-2004, 10:51 AM
During Pepsi's second-quarter conference call last Thursday, it was confirmed that Pepsi will be rolling out Mountain Dew Pitch Black for the Halloween season.

Tannerman
07-19-2004, 01:03 PM
A Google search on the product name turned up this image from Cool-Drinks.com:

http://www.cool-drinks.com/Images/PitchBlack20oz.gif

Don't know how authentic this is, but appears that the flavor is "black grape"