PDA

View Full Version : For the Dr Pepper Lovers........

Fixx
01-25-2004, 04:06 PM
I found this article and thought I would share....

Later

Just what the doctor ordered
Abilene bottler rejects syrup for Dublin's cane sugar recipe

By Sidney Levesque / Reporter-News Staff Writer
January 17, 2004

The luck of the Irish may have run out in Dublin: An Abilene bottler has co-opted the sugary secret of the town’s special Dr Pepper recipe.

Ab-Tex Beverage Corp. recently ended Dublin’s virtual monopoly on Dr Pepper made with Imperial Sugar — as opposed to corn syrup. While the news may fall flat in the Erath County burg famous for its sugar-sweet soda, it has local lovers of Dr Pepper all abuzz — as if they have drunk the caffeinated nectar at, naturally, 10, 2 and 4.

"I’m very excited," said Billy Bob White of Abilene, who loves Dublin Dr Pepper so much his groom’s cake last year was in the shape of a bottle and flavored with the soft drink.

Ab-Tex is one of only four Dr Pepper bottlers in the world using the original recipe, according to the Dr Pepper/Seven-Up corporate office. The Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Co. has used the original recipe — which contains pure cane sugar — since 1891.

Most Dr Pepper bottlers switched to corn syrup sweetener after Cuban products, including sugar, were embargoed 40 years ago. Sugar became too expensive for soft drink companies, and the process to dissolve it was time-consuming compared to pouring in liquefied corn syrup.

Dublin’s Dr Pepper plant serves only a 40-mile radius, so for years people have sold "black-market" soda in outlying areas for several times the original price.

Ab-Tex officials decided if the drink is so popular, perhaps they should bottle some as a special promotion, said Wayne Parks, the company’s vice president and general manager.

A test run last month of 300 cases, or 7,200 bottles, of the Imperial Sugar Dr Pepper lasted two days. Since then, Ab-Tex has slowly increased production. This week, the bottler made 6,000 cases.

If demand remains high, Ab-Tex will continue to make it, said Randall Mostert, the company’s operations manager.

For now, the drink is sold in six-packs of 12-ounce plastic bottles for about $3, a dollar more than regular Dr Pepper.

Dr Peppers made with real sugar have 3.7 percent less sugar than those made with corn syrup, Mostert said. Pure cane sugar naturally tastes sweeter, he said.

The wrapper on the nostalgic bottle bears the Imperial Sugar logo and a picture of a 10-2-4 Dr Pepper ad from the 1940s and 1950s.

"It’s the good old Dr Pepper logo," said Tommy Cargile, store manager of Anson’s Lawrence Brothers IGA. "It’s a neat package, and it reminds me of when I was a kid."

Dublin Dr Pepper officials do not yet know how Ab-Tex’s entry into the sugar soda market will affect their sales. Interest in Dublin’s product will probably remain high because of the museum, bottling plant tour and the old-fashioned, glass-bottled Dr Pepper it sells, said Jeff Pendleton, the bottler’s creative director.

"People make the pilgrimage here," he said of the 3,000-person town about 90 miles southeast of Abilene. "It’s like Mecca."

What does he think of Ab-Tex using the same recipe as Dublin? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," he said.

Contact staff writer Sidney Levesque at levesques@reporternews.com or 325-676-6721

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-25-2004, 05:04 PM
thats pretty bad ass

what are the other two bottlers

Shatter
01-25-2004, 05:16 PM
YES! Another bottler has realised that people want (and will pay for) quality instead of crap. And I don't think it will hurt Dublin's sales at all. I'm sure the amount imported from Dublin is a drop in the bucket to Dublin DP. It might have been enough that the Abiline DP bottler took notice of the importing and realised that a lot of old timers wanted the old fashioned recipe back.

I hope to God that this starts a trend in the bottling business.

glassbottlesrule
01-25-2004, 06:36 PM
if we get lucky, this is the beginning of a trend for some bottlers to start producing superior sugar sweetened sodas. I for one will make a special effort to buy any soda with surgar insead of hfcs.

Energydude
01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
I think it is a lesson for all. Pure sugar and a glass bottle are two good ways to start off making a quality soda. smile.gif

Cheer-wined
01-25-2004, 07:27 PM
what are the other two bottlers
the other two are the dr pepper bottlers in temple and waco

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-25-2004, 08:09 PM
so temple, dublin, waco and abilene? how about holland, michigan? sigh...

drpep
01-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Plastic :eek:

Terry K
01-25-2004, 10:41 PM
What I like about this is that AbTex (I believe they're also a Pepsi bottler) is listening to its customers.

They're fighting Dublin the *right* way, by offering the same product, whereas Turner's solution is to threaten stores. Why threaten when you can come up with the same product?

I'd love to see a few other bottlers try this, then we'll see some real competition.

Ozarks Coke? Admiral? Oh yeah. I'd love that.

And acutally, West Jefferson DP has a higher concentration of real sugar than most DP I've ever had.

Terry K
01-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
so temple, dublin, waco and abilene? how about holland, michigan? sigh... Temple is affiliated with Dublin, they handle all the canning of DP for Dublin.

10*2*4
01-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> what are the other two bottlers
the other two are the dr pepper bottlers in temple and waco </font>[/QUOTE]There is no bottling in Waco.

Cheer-wined
01-26-2004, 09:05 AM
An article from Southern Methodist U, dated Dec. 8 2003, states that the Waco, Temple and Dublin bottlers were [at that time] the only ones in the US still using sugar.

link to article (http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/12/08/3fd5148773fae)

boodoo
01-26-2004, 09:17 AM
I think that Temple produces the non-returnable bottles for Dublin. The only DP still produced in Dublin are returnables.

bigrich
01-26-2004, 06:29 PM
If Ab-Tex also does Pepsi, they should consider doing Pepsi products the same way. AD Huesing of Davenport, IA bottled Pepsi and Dew with real Sugar until 2002. The product tasted much different and I have not consumed a Pepsi since they shut down their bottling operations.

[ 01-26-2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

boodoo
01-27-2004, 03:19 PM
That would be too cool! I bet they don't though.

Fixx
01-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Actually AbTex IS a Pepsi bottler but they dont compete with Dublin Dr Pepper at least with Dr Pepper. They might with Pepsi but if you look at Mapquest and look at the drive distance from Abilene to Dublin, TX you will see it is about a 2 hour drive one way. In order to be profitable selling Pepsi that far out you would either have to have another warehouse or sell an AWFUL lot of Pepsi. Just a sidebar note, Pepsi doesnt sell that well in Texas. The state is dominated by Dr Pepper and Coke.

On the issue of the pure cane sugar, it is not like they will make it price competitive to HFCS but for those of us that know what pure cane sugar sodas are like, thats a good thing. But the kicker to the whole scenario is the older generation of soda drinkers dont drink a lot of carbonated soft drinks and if they do, they are pretty much "set in their ways" and dont try new things as much as the younger generation. However, the younger generation is not old enough to know what a pure cane sugar soda tastes like so they go for price and typically, HFCS sodas are cheaper than cane sugar sodas.

Personally, Im glad they are doing it and they should pick up a small niche crowd for the product but thats it...a niche. As far as pure cane Pepsi goes, there WAS a distributor in Southern Louisiana that sold cane sugar Pepsi and WOW was that good! I do remember it and one of the few ways to get it was at Albertson's in Baton Rouge. I havent been back to the market in a few years so before you go running off to Baton Rouge to buy pure cane Pepsi, you may want to call first. Just an FYI-

Later.

PS - Glad the board enjoyed the post and by the way, doesnt Dr Pepper Bottling of Texas own the Temple operation?

Terry K
01-31-2004, 03:08 AM
Temple is an independent.

ben
03-23-2004, 03:03 AM
i only by dr.pepper when its boattled by coca-cola(im lucky since i live in mami and coca-cola boattles it )im also happy that we now nave fanta pineapple

redcremesoda
04-01-2004, 12:50 PM
I just received a case of Dublin DP on Tuesday, straight from Old Doc's Soda Shop online.

The question I have after reading the posts above is, why do my Dublin DP bottle caps have "Bottled By Temple Bottling Co LTD, Temple TX, 76501" on the cap, which is over 100 miles away? That doesn't sound like Dublin to me. Did I get screwed?

Also, there is a number on the side of the bottles, one of them reads "4070TBC0944". Anyone know was that means? Thanks.

bigrich
04-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Temple Bottling co-packs the one-way bottles for Dublin Dr Pepper since their machinery is so old; they can only use it on the older thicker returnables. You were not ripped off. Code Date: 4(Year), 070(Day of Year), TBC (Temple Bottling Company), 0944 (Time).

[ 04-01-2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

redcremesoda
04-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks! I knew someone here would have the answer.

Hacksaw
04-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, with the price of milk heading up, making a higher quality soda is one way to improve your market share.

Mexican made sodas of major brands(Coke, Pepsi, Squirt, 7up, Fanta Orange, etc.) are carried around here, even though the US made HFCS versions of these are cheaper, so some people don't buy into the "almost as good" idea of HFCS.