PDA

View Full Version : RC Draft Cola... What was it?

Robot
01-28-2004, 01:01 PM
what was it? what did it taste like?

i dont remember ever seeing this on the shelves in chicago, even though most RC products are here (cherry rc, diet RC, rc EDGE was here too).

Shatter
01-28-2004, 04:08 PM
RC Draft Cola was (and still is, if it's still bottled in Australia) a high-end product from Royal Crown Cola. The few times I tried it, it was in glass bottles and had (I think) real sugar instead of HFCS. Some have said it tasted like a chocolate flavored cola. I never thought that myself. To me, it was just a seriously smoooooooth, rich cola. High class stuff. The kind of thing that sticks out in your memory.

Android
01-28-2004, 07:37 PM
I only found this stuff once over the years, and only bought one package of it when I did, I think it came in 4-packs. It was pretty good stuff, I later wished I had bought more.

andy

Fixx
01-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Last time I saw RC Draft it was at Target and I THINK it was being blown out at 4 for $1.00. I remember, I bought $10 worth.

Think pure cane sugar RC! Imagine that with a jew-town polish sausage with fries ;) That would have been splendid!

Later

Riot Nrrrd™
12-05-2007, 01:14 AM
(Sorry to revive a nearly-4-year-old thread!)

I just came back from Cambodia and Bangkok a month ago, and on my last day in Bangkok I was walking along a back street near my hotel and found a small alleyway vendor with a beautiful 12-oz. bottled Coke stash. I bought two and took them back to my hotel and put them in the fridge, and later on I broke one out after coming back from a trek sweating like a pig from the humidity. It was SO GOOD I nearly cried :D

That got me to thinking about Best. Colas. Evar. So here I am ...

I'll never forget the first time I had RCDPC. It must've been 9 or 10 years ago or so. I just about peed my pants! I don't know where people got the idea it tasted like chocolate ... to me it tasted like it had a tincture of vanilla in it. It was just soooooo smooth and cane sugary good, I've never had anything like it before or since! Ranks right up there with Thai Coke in a bottle (or Spanish Coke in a bottle, or ... ) for Best. Cola. Evar. (So of course it was discontinued, like everything else I ever liked ... )

And speaking of Royal Crown Draft Cola and crying ... check this link and weep! RC/Schweppes still makes it and sells it in New Zealand!!! :eek:

Foodtown New Zealand Online (http://www.foodtown.co.nz/HomeShopping/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?dateVar=12/5/2007%206:17:52%20PM&z_u=39422r45293&node=64&node_id=2185&link_ref=5&z_c=1u3&node_path=2,9,270,2185&ShelfWidth=1240&FromPage=ProductShelf&Stockcode=207480)

http://www.foodtown.co.nz/ImageServer/product_images/big/9311493500023.jpg

"Hello Foodtown? Yes erm ... I have a bit of an odd question to ask ... do you ship sodas Internationally by any chance ... " :D

Swifty
12-05-2007, 02:09 PM
RC Draft is Heaven with a bit of carbonated water put into a bottle.

It. Was. Excellent.

I remember the first time I tried to buy it in Greenville, SC, the poor checkout girl at the Winn Dixie tried to card me.

Odd trivia - I actually went to school with a guy whose father had a hand in formulating it.

I miss RC Draft.

It was absolutely divine.

It's actually worth getting a plane ticket to fly to NZ for just one bottle. It's that good.

CitrusCola
12-06-2007, 05:47 AM
It's Cott that still making Royal Crown Draft Cola in NZ:

Soft Drinks | Royal Crown Brands (http://www.rccolainternational.com/brands.aspx)

Swifty
12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
So....Cott has RC and its brands outside of the US & Canada, and Cadbury has them within the US & Canada? I did not know that.

RC was invented and used to be headquartered in Columbus. Cott also had a corporate presence in Columbus, and actually moved into the former RC HQ after RC left.

I can remember smelling grape concentrate back when they used to make Nehi in Columbus...

Maybe the next time I'm there, I can see if I can scrounge up some RC Draft, although I think it would be unlikely.

nakni
12-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Longtime lurker here. Resurrecting this thread was good timing.

A guy on a food discussion board has helped me out immeasurably with his knowledge and recommendations, and I want to repay the favor a bit. He wishes he could get a hand on RC Draft again, so does anyone know of any other way other than Foodtown (which I'm guessing seems unlikely to ship internationally) to order some? Any Australian shopping sites? Searching online revealed that Japan was another country that has/had it (I even saw a bottle with kana symbols on it). He's Japanese and goes to visit there, so any Japan-related info would help as well.

Ras
12-16-2007, 11:36 PM
RC Draft Cola is still listed on RC's site. Is it definitely discontinued, or should I start looking for it in local stores?

amyers
12-17-2007, 12:21 AM
So....Cott has RC and its brands outside of the US & Canada, and Cadbury has them within the US & Canada? I did not know that.

RC was invented and used to be headquartered in Columbus. Cott also had a corporate presence in Columbus, and actually moved into the former RC HQ after RC left.

I can remember smelling grape concentrate back when they used to make Nehi in Columbus...

Maybe the next time I'm there, I can see if I can scrounge up some RC Draft, although I think it would be unlikely.

I live in Columbus. There isn't any RC Draft Cola here, so don't worry about making the trip. All we have is Orange Nehi, some Sugar-based RC, Peach Nehi, and nothing you guys don't have.

Swifty
12-18-2007, 02:47 PM
I live in Columbus. There isn't any RC Draft Cola here, so don't worry about making the trip. All we have is Orange Nehi, some Sugar-based RC, Peach Nehi, and nothing you guys don't have.

Actually, I was thinking of paying the good folks at the Cott HQ on 10th Ave. a visit. I'm aware that one can't find it in regular stores.

(Although, the last time I did that, I just got a nice, long blank stare from the receptionist. It was mildly awkward.)

Where can I get my grubby paws on the sugar-based RC? Wasn't aware that even existed.

CitrusCola
12-19-2007, 06:14 AM
You can buy sugar-sweetened RC in glass bottles by the case at Dr Pepper Bottling in West Jefferson, NC. You might want to call ahead before you go there, however, because they don't always have everything in stock. The last time I was there, they were sold out of RC. (They did have Red Rock Cola, but I didn't want to buy a whole case of it without knowing if it was any good.)

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-22-2007, 03:32 PM
red rock is delish.