PDA

View Full Version : Soda Tax

Mr Zabe
06-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Soda Tax (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ama11.html)

I say...stop feeding your kids junk food. Teach them how to eat healthy. It's the fault of the parents for allowing their kids to overindulge in eating a poor diet. :(

Dr. Galaga
06-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I love this:

A 12-ounce can of Pepsi contains 150 calories of sugar or high fructose corn syrup -- the equivalent of...a 3.2-ounce reduced-fat ice cream cone at McDonald's I wonder how much a regular ice cream cone has? :rolleyes:

Mr Nethead
06-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Ah, they're always looking for a good excuse to implement new taxes, aren't they? It's pretty amazing that taxing a can of soda just one cent would raise $1.5 billion though. *If* they actually spent the money on worthwhile endeavors, I wouldn't care. But what are the odds of that?

Mr Nethead
06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Speaking of ice cream, have you ever noticed that on most brands, a serving size is listed as 1/2 cup? Who would only eat 1/2 cup of ice cream? I'd guess that most people eat at the bare minimum, 2 servings. But more often than not, it's probably closer to 4. (2 cups) Edy's Chocolate ice cream has 150 calories in 1/2 cup. Most people are probably consuming 600 calories and over 30 grams of fat when they eat a bowl of ice cream. Unless it's an elaborate flavor like peanut butter cup or something, in which case it's going to be even more.

Maybe obesity in America has more to do with ice cream than soda.

hbg
06-11-2006, 09:48 PM
ha i came home the other day after a 16 hour day of stocking soda and sat down to a half tub or 1 quart of Edy's. I would have kept eating it to but decided it wasnt a wise idea. Of course with the amount of work i do im still under the average weight

popologist
06-12-2006, 12:17 AM
i don't really have a problem with them taxing snack foods, but...

let's not fool ourselves. it won't reduce obesity. and... congress won't use the money as promised (no matter who's in control).

shadowlp06
06-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Why is it taxes are really no big bother to anyone anymore? I know its a few cents here and there, but I was filling up my car the other day and noticed that there is 40.9 cents federal gas tax, and 19.something for Utah state gas tax. Then I read about the soda tax. Why doesn't anyone revolt anymore like they did in the colonial times? Lets get together in throw some old cases of Vanilla Coke into the Boston Harbor and protest some taxes damit!!!! Hahhahaha, just a little tongue and cheek commentary from the peanut gallery.

Mr Nethead
06-12-2006, 05:28 AM
No! Not Vanilla Coke! Let's throw some Pepsi overboard.

Actually, throwing cases of soda into the Boston Harbor would probably be bad for the environment...

popologist
06-12-2006, 08:24 AM
most of us don't need an extra reason to dump vanilla coke. ;)

the saint
06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Kinda makes you wonder..the United States of America was founded to avoid the taxation in Britain.

Mr Zabe
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
LOL....It took a moment for my sleepy brain to get that joke,but it was worth it. LOL

popologist
06-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mr Nethead:
Actually, throwing cases of soda into the Boston Harbor would probably be bad for the environment... are you saying the boston tea party was politically incorrect? LOL. ;)

Skynet
06-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Nooo don't dump vanilla coke! Some people like vanilla coke! If we are going to do a good old boston soda party, lets get a soda that is generally agreed upon as crappy.

Ok seriously now: This won't do a damn thing as just give them another excuse to collect taxes. Has cig taxes stoped everyone from smoking? Probably some but people still do it....

[ 06-12-2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Skynet ]