PDA

View Full Version : News about energy drinks in Europe

Xtrem
02-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Due to a new law released in one of the countries we export Xtrem to we have had to change the formula by 5% to meet the new requirements. This may not seem allot but it means that we have to spend plenty of money to redevelop the drink so that it tastes and gives as close to the same effects as the normal version does.

We have stumbled across an article that is very interesting to say the least...any comments?

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=488754

Lepke
02-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I don’t see why you should have to change the formula of xtrem, no one drinks it.

DPDude
02-13-2004, 03:50 AM
I don't see a problem with a country banning a product that it deems as unsafe. Each country has different standards, different experts advising politicians and has the right to ban such a product.

This has applied for years to medicines, beef, alcohol content in beer, paint and even violence content in movies. It comes down to figuring out if it is worth it to tailor a product to meet the restrictions of that market. From what I understand Pepsi had to remove caffeine as an ingredient in Mountain Dew when it marketed it in Canada (I'm not sure if that is still true or not.) If you feel the market is there, reformulate and move on. If not, don't change a thing and don't market in that region. Since your company chose to reformulate the market must be good enough to warrant the cost. Consider your R&D work done if another country decides to ban the "full strength" product. At least this way your company is ready to go while your competitor will have to reformulate down the road.

Xtrem
02-19-2004, 04:21 AM
It now turns out that in the same country another governmental department has overturned the decision to change the ingredients levels saying that the changes where unworkable.