PDA

View Full Version : Coke & Pepsi the new RJR of 2004!

Energydude
02-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Does it concern anyone else that Coke and Pepsi is marketed to children and is a very unhealthy product for children! High Fructose Corn Syrup and Water..... not a good combination for good long term health. Times are changing time expose the truth Pepsi and Coke have to change with the times.

drpep
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Nope.

bigrich
02-11-2004, 09:30 PM
I could'nt give a **** about the children.

fusion
02-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Does it concern anyone that Sum Poosie is being marketed to adults and is a very unhealthy product for adults! Caffeine and sugar water... not a good combination for long term health. Times are changing expose the truth Sum Poosie and Think Pink have to change with the times.

glassbottlesrule
02-11-2004, 10:20 PM
energydude, I met some hypocrites in my time but you take the cake. Did it hurt when the devil ripped your soul out? I am so tired of listening to your senseless drivel. Get off the boards and start beating the pavement to push that slime you so like to talk about. No product is bad if taken in moderation. It is not a corporations job to moderate kids intake of sugar, its the parents job.

Energydude
02-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Glassbottle thanks for the response but what you say is not really true. Cigarette companies where slammed and had to get rid of the Camel because it promoted smoking to children. Why didn't they just say well it is up to watch their children and keep them from smoking? Do you know why??? Because it is not a good idea to have a unhealthy product like smoking pushed on kids. Well let me ask you is it a good idea to have a product like Pepsi and Coke pushed on kids and if so why are some school districts kicking them out. Do you think McDonalds and Burger King are the only ones responsible to provide a healthier menu? Coke and Pepsi is nothing more than sugar water and it is not a good idea to have children consuming 3 or 4 cans of this stuff a day. Time to change is now. More children are obese than ever before its time parents look at the food and the beverage. Pepsi and Coke have some good products, but Pepsi and Coke as products are nothing more than junk food.

fusion
02-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Sum Poosie uses a cat to promote using their product. How is that different?

fusion
02-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Besides, you conveniently forget that both Coke and Pepsi have water, fruit juices, and so on. Pepsi has Sobe, Lipton, Dole, Aquafina, Tropicana. Coke has Mad River, Nestea, Minute Maid, Dasani, Swerve.

All non-carbonated drinks.

DPDude
02-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Public Service Ad:
"Kids...I started out just like you, drinking Kool-Aid that my mom made. After a while it wasn't enough. I started adding cereals like Trix and Cap'n Crunch to my milk. That held me...but all too soon I was used to it. I started doing Snickers and Milky Way bars to satisfy my need...but even that didn't last. It wasn't long before I started drinking Coke, Sprite, <choke> Pepsi <sob> and...even Mountain Dew. I was up to three sodas a day...even more if I was at a birthday party. Oh God, the horror, the agony..."
Voice Over: "Parents. Only you can help. If you find out that your kid is on a sugar product, please seek help. If you won't do it, who will?"
Brought to you by the Office of National Sugar Control Policy.

Sea bass
02-12-2004, 01:54 AM
What is this world coming to...

Energydude
02-12-2004, 02:24 AM
That is my point... Coke and Pepsi are trying to branch out and have minimal success. Please name all of the successful product each of them has come out with in the last 20 years??? Their core business is sugar water and it is marketed to children who are already blasted with candy and fast food. HFCS is and water is not a healthy choice for children and it is time someone said something. Is it impossible to make these products better without the all the sugar? Do kids need to get 500 calories and over 100 grams of sugar just from drinking a few cans a day. Name one doctor anywhere who thinks that drinking 3 or 4 cans of Pepsi or Coke a day is a good idea.
What is the world coming to you ask....... I ask the same thing when not one person on this board has the balls to say you know your right Pepsi and Coke really are crap products and should be limited to children. Coke and Pepsi do not belong in elementary schools. If you think they should be say something clever to support promoting sugar water to kids. These two products are all crap sugar and hold no nutritional value.

Xtrem
02-12-2004, 04:56 AM
We live in a consumer society weather we like it or not.

There is only one way you can guarantee that your children eat and drink what you think is good for them, but I don't think everyone is going to lock up their kids in their room all day.

So you think Coke and Pepsi products are bad for you? There are plenty of other drinks on the market that have just the same amount of sugar as Coke and Pepsi. Even if you buy water you cant be sure that everything inside the bottle will be good for you. It's just assumed it will be because it is water.

There is only one way of knowing if what you have is good or bad and that's if you make it yourself, but even then you have to consider pollution...

If you are against your children eating or drinking something then don't give it to them while you are with them.

It's all about education, and it starts in the home.

stinkfinger
02-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Does it concern anyone that a certian beverage is being marketed on this board to people who have no interest in it. Nothing has changed here. Time to go to where your potential consumers are.

stinkfinger
02-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Energydude:
That is my point... Sumpoosie is trying to branch out and have minimal success. Please name all of the successful product they have come out with in the last 20 years??? Their core business is sugar water and it is marketed to children who are already blasted with candy and fast food. HFCS is and water is not a healthy choice for children and it is time someone said something. Is it impossible to make these products better without the all the sugar? Do kids need to get 500 calories and over 100 grams of sugar just from drinking a few cans a day. Name one doctor anywhere who thinks that drinking 3 or 4 bottles of Sumpoosie a day is a good idea.
What is the world coming to you ask....... I ask the same thing when not one person on this board has the balls to say you know your right Sumpoosie really is a crap product and should be limited to children. Sumpoosie do not belong in elementary schools. If you think they should be say something clever to support promoting sugar water to kids. This product is all crap sugar and hold no nutritional value.

Energydude
02-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Xtreme and Stinkfinger thanks for again not answering or being able to step up and put up an intelligent response. First I will say SumPoosie has a cat on the bottle but it is promoted in Bars and Liquor Stores and is not available for children to purchase, nor is it marketed to children but the sad fact is it would be better for them than Coke and Pepsi. However, I do not really want to get off the point. Coke and Pepsi the "Big Whoppers" of the beverage industry. Should children have 3 or 4 of these sugar water drinks a day? We know it happens around the country. Is it right that they are pushing a really poor unhealthy product to children. Does anyone think it's a good idea? It is now 2004 we know more about nutrition than ever, should children be sold on a product with no nutritional value? :confused:

karks88
02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
What I'd like to know is, how exactly are these energy drinks making anyone healthy? Hell some of them even have/had ephredra. Yeah, let's all go buy some of that! Man, maybe we should make Red Bull available in schools. People think soda makes them crazy, just wait until they get some of that god awful butterscotch stuff!

Soda is fine provided it's not the only thing you drink. Hey you probably wouldn't want your kids to drink nothing but milk all day either. Too much of anything isn't good.

Energydude
02-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Karks88 I agree with you and I am not advocating RB be put anywhere near children either. RB contains 1000 milligrams of Taurine!!! Who has decided that is safe? But that is a different subject. Too much of anything is bad for you... too much water is called drowning!!! My point is this over the last 30 years we have been bombarded with images and commercials of kids drinking a product that just in small amounts is very unhealthy for children and continues to be marketed to children. 3 or 4 cans may not seem like much but no one will tell you it is healthy or a good idea to have millions of children drinking down sugar water.

boodoo
02-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey, I've got a great idea! Why don't we just let the federal government take over all the consumer goods businesses? Then we could rely on some bureaucrat to make only healthy food & beverage products available to the public.

No reason to stop there, let's turn all media over to them as well. Then we wouldn't have to read, hear or see offensive or non-politically correct positions offered.

Come on people....make a stand!

glassbottlesrule
02-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Myself and my children's life revolves around pop. We hunt out strange ones, go on trips looking for it, and generally have a good time with it. The strange thing is energydude, my kids do not drink 3 or 4 cans a week much less a day. Any nimwit knows that too much of anything is bad. I state again it is the parent's job to teach their kids how to be intelligent consumers. If all we do is listen to what the advertisers tell us, we'd all be 400 pound slobs running around dressed like Brittany Spears.

DPDude
02-12-2004, 04:56 PM
When you look at the ads that the soda companies come out with they aren't exactly targeted at the kids market but rather the 18-34 crowd. The only possible exception would be the Coke polar bears but those spots were almost always aired during primtime and not during the afternoon kiddie cartoon slots. They were cute and tugged at the heart strings. A big hit with women actually. Mountain Dew targets their ads towards the "xtreme" active 20-somethings, Pepsi towards the average 20 something and Coca Cola to a more mainstream audience. Dr Pepper has marketed to a mainstream adult market as well. Of course, Pepsi did market Josta to a teen audience and we all saw how well that product went over.

My opinion is that kids probably shouldn't be drinking three or four cans of soda a day but that's up to their parents to decide. I'm not a parent but the ones that I know 1.) don't let their kids drink Mountain Dew (or any drink with extra caffeine) and 2.) limit them to no more than one soda a day, if even that. Truth be told adults probably shouldn't be drinking 3 or 4 cans of soda a day but many of us do.

I really doubt that it is the ads that make kids drink soda's in the first place. Kids just naturally like anything with sugar in it.

Energydude
02-12-2004, 05:52 PM
DP the problem is kids are not always supervised by parents. A few school districts have finally kicked Coke and Pepsi out because children have access without supervision. Does anyone out there think Coke and Pepsi should be allowed at elementary schools? Isn't it time Coke and Pepsi are put out there with McDonalds as another culprit in the fattening of America. Is it really hard to believe that children all over the country are drinking 3 or 4 cans a day? I see kids drinking 2 and 3 cans at baseball games all the time and that is just in a 2 hour period. Is it my imagination or is Coke and Pepsi really junkk food at best..... yes or no.

DPDude
02-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Energydude, no one is saying Coke or Pepsi (or any other softdrink) is healthy and should be given to kids in mass quantities. I also don't believe the elementary schools should have soda machines that kids can get to and I don't think anyone else here is advocating this. If your local school district has these machines then go to your school district council meetings and make your voice heard. Tell them about it. As you said in your post "A few school districts have finally kicked Coke and Pepsi out because children have access without supervision." Maybe that happened because concerned parents spoke up, as they should when it concerns their kids.

To answer another of your questions, no, I don't find it hard to believe that kids all over the country are drinking 3 or 4 cans a day. Again, parents responsibility. If the parents are buying their kids this stuff its not Coke or Pepsi's fault. If the kids are getting these products at school, again, parents should speak up and let the schools know this is not acceptable.

The truth is that individuals (kids or adults) are fattening themselves. The last time I checked there weren't any laws saying we have to eat at McDonalds or drink large quantities of Coke. There are healthy foods and beverages out there but if people aren't buying them and consuming them then that's their problem.

I really don't see what your point is in posting here. I haven't seen any posts of anyone advocating getting kids to drink more Coke or Pepsi. This is forum for people who enjoy soft drinks and I'd bet that most of the people here are adults capable of making their own decisions. If you're trying to solve a problem this isn't the place to do it, you're just spinning your wheels.

Energydude
02-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks DP I understand what you are saying. My original question was does it bother anyone that Coke and Pepsi market to children? Should they have to put a warning on the label? They put crazy things on spray cans like do not spray into open flame or towards your face. Why not a label that says "consuming this product may add weight to children. Be careful to consume in small quantities." Or ... "This product is not made to be consumed by children without adult supervision." ;)
I still ask should it be marketed to children? If not why is it? :confused:

DPDude
02-13-2004, 02:34 AM
Okay, fair enough. I don't know of any Coke or Pepsi marketing aimed towards kids but really, I don't lose sleep over it at night and it really doesn't bother me. In the scheme of things there are a lot of other things to worry about when it comes to marketing aimed at kids.

Do you have any marketing materials or know of any ad campaigns that by Coke or Pepsi that are aimed at kids? Other than local bottlers making deals with local school districts I don't know that there is a national corporate ad campaign by the big two aimed at kids.

I don't think we need any warnings like that on soft drinks. We all know that consuming products like this in mass quantities is not a good thing. Consuming anything in mass quantities is not a good thing, regardless if it could possibly put extra weight on a person.

You also seem to be mixing apples and oranges when it comes to those warnings. There's a reason that things like WD-40 say things like "Do not expose to flame." Immediate physical harm is likely if the product is misused. You can't equate a warning like that with "You might get fat if you drink this product excessively for years."

Energydude
02-13-2004, 10:47 PM
I see your points DPdude, I guess what bothers me is the media seems to really go after McDonalds and they are one meal a day. However, Coke can be for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and that is my point. Coke and Pepsi just now seem to be getting the proper light.

Energydude
02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
I guess the Philadelphia School District agrees!

mickstafa
02-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Energydude, I understand your points, but they are very rediuclous. Candy isn't healthy, but it is generally a children's confection. If we force advertisers not to market harmless drinks, then where does it stop? You use the argument that cigarrette companies have been forced not to market towards kids - and they shouldn't. The difference is that cigarettes are illegal for kids to have. Soda is not.

So, the only way your argument would be valid was really if you thought soda should be government regulated. I'll assume for the best that you don't believe in such a travesty! For many, drinking a great soda, especially as a kid, is a great American pasttime and to regulate that would be just plain awful.

If you do not want your kids to drink soda, then that is your responsibility as a parent to regulate.

That being said, America's kids are too fat, but then again, look at some of their parents and you'll see why....

Energydude
02-14-2004, 05:48 PM
The point is these beverages are not harmless, even a couple of cans of Pepsi and Coke a day can cause unwanted weight gain. Times change things are not the way they were 20 years ago. I would like to see Coke and Pepsi change. There is no reason they have to have the sugar they do. Let's face the facts from a nutritional stand point Coke and Pepsi are crap. HFCS and water...crap!
Why is it wrong to now hold them to a higher standard? Times change, things change! Make a better product or get out of the way. They both need to step up and do something different. We are now roving on mars and Pepsi and Coke can't figure out how to make their product better? Give me a break..... better yet let me help! Take out the HFCS and replace it with Splenda... if you must use a sweetner for adults try real SUGAR!!! Phew.... that was tough. :cool:

Uncle Thirsty
02-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have concern for me....??

I Have consumed 1000's of gallons of Pepsi & Coke, since I was a youngster. I have enough drank Pepsi & Coke in the same day.

What type of body damage should I be looking for?

"If your older than 30 and still act like a Kid, is Pepsi still a Danger..??"

Energydude
02-15-2004, 01:16 AM
I see your not taking this very well Uncle, but the facts are people are not all genetically blessed like you. Kids are not as active as they were in the past and we now know more about nutrition. Pepsi and Coke are nutritional garbage that can not be debated if it can be state your case. School districts like Philadelphia are kicking Soda out because they wish to argue instead of changing. Change is good it is how we advance as a society how has Coke or Pepsi changed over the last 50 years............................they haven't.
Instead of fighting it change and move onward, why fight it? Pepsi and Coke are garbage products make them better!!!! It's not rocket science. :cool:

cph
02-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Well, no one said that any soda products were exactly *health food* now....

Is this thread really about concern for childrens' health, or just a whinge about Coke and Pepsi (as corporations)? In the article I posted on the other thread, the kids are now drinking Gatorade after they took out the (carbonated) sodas. Is that much of an improvement? It's still fancy sugar water...

(To their credit, Coke and Pepsi have been experimenting with juice- or milk-based drinks that could still be sold in schools. But will the kids buy them, that is the question!)

When I was in high school (1980-1983), we had vending machines with milk, chocolate milk, orange and apple juice in them. (There was one soda machine way the hell out by the athletic fields--but anyone jocking out all that way to get a coke probably deserved one, in my book)

Before that (elementary and junior high) the only drink we had in on-campus was the water fountain.

Energydude
02-15-2004, 03:09 PM
To their credit they are experimenting with milk and juice??? Coke and Pepsi and experimenting with milk..... that is what they are doing in Research and Development??? Once again, Coke and Pepsi are crap products yes or no! Pepsi and Coke could easily make those products better yes or no!
Isn't it time for Coke and Pepsi to step up into the year 2004 and make those 2 products better!

golee1
02-15-2004, 06:24 PM
How are Coke and Pepsi supposed to make their product better? If New Coke taught anyone anything, it's that you don't mess with success, people like Coke and Pepsi the way it is, with sugar, or HFCS. If people want a diet soda, they'll drink a diet soda. I don't think soda has a place in middle or elementary schools at all, and I don't think it should be sold in the high schools during lunch, sell juice and milk based products instead. Outside of school it's up to the parents to regulate.

Energydude
02-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Like I said before in the last 50 years we have developed global communication, the artificial heart, went to the moon, mars, and we now have computers, cd's, dvd's, cell phones, and you mean to tell me Coke and Pepsi can't figure out how to make their products better????????????????????

JACK
02-15-2004, 10:21 PM
EDUDE...now that we understand that you HATE both Coke and Pepsi...lets take a look at the trickle down from "tossing the bastards" out of schools. Who pays for scoreboads and misc. investment that soft drink makers traditionally have supported. You do. Who do people always call when they want a donation or support of their local event. Bottlers and parent companies.
I should direct all these calls to the lawyers who are the only ones who will gain from these changes. Kids are not going to stop drinking soda until parents take charge.
By the way, I am a parent,I sell soda, and YES I limit the amount of soft drinks they consume. Parents not government is the answer. The lawyers should start sending their money to colleges too. Who do you think paid the University of Nebraska 8 million $$$$It was not the law firm of Make More Money At Whatever Cost.

Energydude
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
JACK !!! I don't hate Coke and Pepsi I just think it is a crazy thought that these products can not be improved upon. MY POINT IS TIMES CHANGE, here they are getting kicked out of school districts across the country and they still do not get it. You can't even argue that from a nutritional stand point the product is crap..... agreed? HFCS and water = crap.

I would rather pay for the score boards then have myself or the school district bent over by Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi are doing no favors, they are paying to push their garbage on our youth and it is now being exposed. People are starting to understand Carbs and Sugars. 10 years ago we would not even be having this conversation. TIMES CHANGE!!! Instead of fighting them make a better product. The question is do they care enough.... has it effected their bottom line enough........it is sad that it has to come to that. If computer makers were satisfied we would still be working on DOS programs. Come on, you can't improve upon HFCS and water???? How was soda made 50 years ago? Are sodas made better now or 50 years ago? Sad when your quite sure huh.............

KWRB
02-15-2004, 11:16 PM
quote from edude-
"I would rather pay for the score boards then have myself or the school district bent over by Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi are doing no favors, they are paying to push their garbage on our youth and it is now being exposed."

2 things here:
1) Im sure the parents and school boards would love to see "sumpoosie" with "art" whores out on the center field fence!!!
2)At least Coke and Pepsi pay money towards the future of our children to PUSH their products.....all you do is post bashings and push your product for FREE here on these boards!!!

Man you are a hypocryte.

Energydude
02-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Nice try....deflection is what I believe it is called. As you know the energy drink is not promoted towards children and not in schools. You know that ..... now can we please get back on the subject.

Yes they are paying money because they are trying to BRAND OUR CHILDREN. It's called branding and if you think Coke and Pepsi do not both have marketing plans geared towards getting brand loyalty from children than I have some land to sell you in Florida. No one in business can give you anything until they take it from you. It's called value and the value Coke and Pepsi had been getting is building customer loyalty at the grade school level. Why has Coke and Pepsi not removed machines from all schools nationwide....Why do they have to wait until they are thrown out???? Do the right thing, simply make a better product. Can anyone on this board be man or woman enough to agree HFCS and water is nutritional crap! Can anyone simply answer the question? :confused:

Please educate me what new product has Coke or Pepsi come out with in the last 20 years? What new great advancement has come our way thanks to Coke or Pepsi?

mickstafa
02-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Edude, actually reply to my post instead of just repeating what you said before. ("Times have changed.. blah blah blah). I see there is no point in arguing with you, but this sort of rambling on is rediculous. We get it you hate how sodas are loaded with sugar. I would hate it if they were loaded with your magical sugar replacement. Ever notice how premium sodas are using things like real cane sugar over HFCS? People want sugar. If you don't, then drink Diet Coke. Don't tell me what I can't have. If you really care about all of this, then get your energy drink people or whoever to launch ad campaigns that target kids and focus it around the benefits of your drink over coke or pepsi. Until then, quit complaining. Let people make their own mistakes if they want. It is their right to be wrong. And if you disagree with that, go read my other reply which you didn't intelligently reply to.

KWRB
02-16-2004, 09:11 AM
"land to sell me in Florida" ??????????
WHAT IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MEAN?

I think you just talk (type) just to hear (read) yourself talk (type).

Why cant you understand the balance of life.
You know yen and yang? Take away the Coke $$ and then what do you have? its all a balance!

I am agreeing with everyone else on this, it is individuals responsibility to choose what they want to drink ... not you or Coke or the Gov.
When the individual is a child it becomes the parents responsiblitiy....PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

Now WHY cant "YOU" e-dude just agree on that!

Energydude
02-16-2004, 09:22 AM
MICKSTAFA your either an idiot or you are playing a joke. You are making my point for me and do not even know it. You say the difference between smoking and soda is that youth smoking is illegal.
NO KIDDING REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just recent law that it has made it illegal to sell products to minors. But like I said TIMES CHANGE and soon the goverment had to step in because they realized that cigarette companies were still marketing to young people. So what other so called valid point did you have?

I want Coke and Pepsi to get all of their machines nationwide out of schools. Before everyone has to kick them out. Why have they not done that?

Now answer my questions is HFCS and water = nutritional crap. yes or no

Could Coke and Pepsi make a better product than what they have done for years or is HFCS and water the best they can do?

If Coke and Pepsi are going to continue to market and try an achieve brand loyalty on our youth, should they have to put a warning on their label.

We have record numbers of obese children and diabetes is off the charts in this age group. I am not blaming Coke and Pepsi I am saying this product is not as harmless as portrayed and can add to an already improper diet. :cool:

KWRB
02-16-2004, 10:18 AM
quote from edude--"Please educate me what new product has Coke or Pepsi come out with in the last 20 years? What new great advancement has come our way thanks to Coke or Pepsi? "

Didnt Coke buy Odwalla/Fresh Samantha?
Maybe a tactic to replace the Coke machines w/ Odwalla coolers.

Theres your education e-dude....do some research yourself next time insteed of bashing Coke and Pepsi and implying that they ONLY have SODA. and have done NOTHING in 20 yrs to better the market. Oh and another LINE.....bottled water!! the best thing anyone can drink! I believe that it came out in the past 20 years.

Energydude
02-16-2004, 10:33 AM
LOL !!!! KWRB you are not the sharpest pencil... BILLIONS AND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN SALES and Coke and Pepsi research came up with buying another company or put water in a bottle. BRILLIANT buy a company and put water in a bottle this is what 2 companies have achieved in the last 20 years!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! KWRB you crack me up ....bet hurry your late for school aren't you. ;)

Xtrem
02-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Schools should only make available to their students products that are recommended for a balanced diet.

Each day the food should be varied. Also there should be a choice of drink.

A warning should be placed if a product has an ingredient that a certain section of the consumer should be made aware of, for example;

Not suitable for children, not suitable for pregnant women, dot suitable for diabetics, recommended daily allowance...

Energydude
02-16-2004, 11:40 AM
BECAUSE TIMES CHANGE!!! To say it is on the parents is silly at best. Many "families" are single parents now and supervision of children by parents is at an all time low. The problem is many companies just do not care. That is why the goverment "had" to step in and make sales of cigarettes to minors illegal. Why will Coke and Pepsi not remove all the machines nationwide? Why do they have to wait until they are "kicked out" of all the districts. "Greed" money!!!!! They are being told over and over again we do not want your product around children.....they do not care. If they did they would pull all machines out nationwide.

fusion
02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Time and time again, research has proven that the obesity problem in this country is much more related to the inactive lifestyles children lead today. Maybe we should remove all the televisions, computers, and desks from school and require the kids to just run laps all day.

Coca-Cola and its' bottling partners have invested a lot of time and money into pushing fitness programs.

And why are you bashing bottled water? If it gets kids to not drink soda at school, what's so bad about that? Coke may not have invented it, but they pushed the hell out of it when they started bottling it.. it was in every cooler. So people had a choice.

Something doesn't have to be new and innovative to be good for you. They sell plently of different tea and juice drinks, nothing new there.

And if schools didn't want the machines in there, they wouldn't sign the contracts. With reduced funding from federal, state, and local levels, the schools seek funding elsewhere.

I think it's pretty hypocritical of someone who sells a drink that is a lot worse for kids than Coke or Pepsi to be bashing either of them. Thankfully we'll never see a Sum Poosie vending machine in an elementary school.

Energydude
02-16-2004, 08:25 PM
How has this turned into a "ME" thing and what I don't understand or do not understand. Talk about the issue at hand is Coke and Pepsi responsible or not? Is HFCS and water nutritional crap or not. Why can't Coke and Pepsi simply make a better product? Answer the questions if you can.

Knuklehead Soda Co.
02-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Yea, I agree w/ E-Dude

I have 4 questions for Pepsi & Coke

1.Why Havent you came up with a better sugar
2.Why havent you came up with a better sryup
3.Why havent you came up with a better aluminum Can
4.Why havent you can up with a better opening for a Can

Man they sure are behind in times.
"Times Change", in fact, Fifteen minute ago it was 1/2 past the hour, Now it is 1/4 til the next hour.

Only if Pepsi & Coke could keep up.

fusion
02-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Cans have improved. They use less metal than previously, but still hold up. The opening on many cans is a widemouth opening.

Plus, PET is replacing cans more and more. Many bottlers now sell 12oz PET bottle multipacks.

fusion
02-17-2004, 01:20 AM
You've managed to turn most discussions personal by calling other posters idiots, so I guess now you see what it is like to walk a mile in those shoes.

Downing soda after soda certainly isn't a healthy thing, of course. But calories and carbohydrates are a normal part of the daily intake of food and beverages.

I just don't think it is right for you to sit there and blast the big two when there are many, many other beverage companies selling products that aren't any healthier, including Sum Poosie. If you were supposedly so concerned about peoples' health, you wouldn't be out there pimping a product like Sum Poosie.

Not everyone consumes things simply because they are healthy or not healthy for you. Also, I had many a school lunch that was very questionable as being good for you (not to mention good tasting or good looking!). Maybe we should ban school cafeterias as well.

mickstafa
02-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Edude, lowering yourself to calling posters idiots is a new low. I will not respond any longer to your rambling. What is the point? You won't get your way with this thing anyways. I say we just let him go on and on about how the times have changed for him and how since it is the year 2004, kids shouldn't drink soda. But if you ask me who is the idiot here...... Nevermind, I won't go as low as you, dude.

Oh and by the way, since when is cigarette smoking illegal for children a new thing? Er, nevermind, I won't read your response.

mickstafa
02-17-2004, 08:07 AM
argh, I can't resist - I have to say one final thing on the topic. According to Edude's logic, we should ban marketing of candy to kids. After all, they typically aren't any healthier than a can of Coke. Plus, kids ate candy in the 1930's. Times have changed, therefore we should not sell candy to kids.

:rolleyes:

karks88
02-17-2004, 08:58 AM
I didn't notice if anyone else had mentioned this but what about Coke producing that new Minute Maid Heartwise orange juice that lowers cholesteral? Not healthy enough for ya? Coke and Pepsi are also starting to sell dairy based products, a good source of calcium I bet.

Seriously, read through a beverage magazine or even the Atlanta Journal Constituion newspaper, they are always talking about beverage companies (Coke and Pepsi chief among them) that are looking for ways to produce healthier beverages. It isn't as if they aren't making an effort.

Energydude
02-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Billions and Billions and Billions in sales and Coke and Pepsi's research and development have come up with milk and orange juice???? You are kidding right!!?? Once again I will ask can the make the product better yes or no. Is HFCS and water the only answer yes or no. Should they market to children yes or no.

JACK
02-17-2004, 11:25 AM
First, if you cant outsell them..attack them. No you dont hate Coke and Pepsi but you feel small againt them so you attack. All major consumer goods companies are aware of the issue of obesity and community responsiblity. You forget that it is the ability to choose that your products are even available. But dont attack companies that DO alot of good in our communities ...more than you can ever realize.

"Krispy Kreme Announces Record Fourth Quarter Sales Results And Initial Fiscal 2005 Guidance"
So are you on the Donutboard attacking this company too? I guess these little babies are on top of the food chain.? Choice brother...that what we are about here in the good ole USA. You a product of that and sell a product allowed by that system.

An interesting article.

Energy Drinks Can Be Harmful in Large Doses
http://diabetes.about.com/library/blnews/blnenergydrinks.htm

(TAMPA, Fla. -- June 8, 2001) Whoever said you can't get too much of a good thing has never seen the results of vitamin or mineral toxicity, according to Cynthia Sass, a registered dietitian at the University of South Florida and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

"I once had a girl walk in this office and she was as red as a tomato," Sass said. "After talking with her, I realized she had had too much of the vitamin niacin, which may cause flushing or redness of the skin."

Many college students are consuming energy-boosting drinks geared for late-night studying or seeking a boost before a workout. The drinks, such as SoBe, Eclipse or Niagara, contain dietary supplements, caffeine and herbs which can be harmful in large quantities.

While vitamins and minerals are necessary for good health, overdosing on some of them can be harmful and even deadly, Sass warned. Recently, a dietary supplement energy bar was recalled because it contained too much of a particular vitamin.

"It's important for people to remember that herbs can have side effects if used improperly or by those with certain medical conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes, as well as those taking certain medications," Sass said. "Just because it's natural doesn't mean it can't hurt you.

"If you are taking a high dose of a nutrient in a multivitamin or other pill, in addition to a significant amount of that nutrient from a beverage and a generous amount from the food you eat, you could be getting too much," Sass said.

Some of the drinks contain ginseng, a stimulant similar to caffeine. "Overuse of the herb can cause an increase in blood pressure," Sass said. Ginseng may also decrease blood sugar, so diabetics should be cautious about consuming it, especially if they are taking insulin. "At very high doses, it may cause insomnia, headaches, nervousness, nosebleeds and vomiting," Sass said.

People on the antidepressant drug Nardil should also avoid ginseng, because it can cause headache, tremors and mania.

Another common herb in many energy drinks is guarana. "This herb should be used with caution if you have a heart condition, kidney disease, an overactive thyroid or problems with anxiety or panic," she said.

"These drinks are not like traditional iced tea or flavored waters," she explained. Many of the ingredients fall into the category of dietary supplements, which are not strictly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

"Before spending your money on any product, do your homework," she said. "Do not rely solely on information provided by the product's manufacturer. Seek out non-biased information from credible health organizations and take the time to weigh the pros and cons, including the cost versus the benefits and the potential side effects."

"If you have a heart condition or any other medical conditions, talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian before purchasing or using any supplement -- whether it's a drink, powder, pill or bar," she added.

Sometimes plain old H2O is the best bet, she said. If you can't stand the taste of water, make ice cubes with lemonade, limeade and other fruit drinks, Sass said. Or squeeze some fruit juice into your water.

The ingrediants of Sumpoosie
Nutritional Facts
Serving Size: 1 can (355) mL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount Per Serving
Calories 170 Calories From Fat 0
%Daily Value

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 45mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 44g 15%
Sugars 43g
Protein 0g

Niacin 25% Vitamin B6 25%
Vitamin B12 25% Pantothenic Acid 25%

Not a significant source of saturated fat, cholesterol, dietary fibers, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

Coke ingrediants
Coca-Cola Classic
Amount % RDA Ingredients
Calories 140 Carbonated Water
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Caramel Color
Phosphoric Acid
Natural Flavors
Caffeine

Fat 0 g 0 %

Sodium 50 mg 2 %

Carbohydrates 39 g 13 %

Sugar 39 g
Protein 0 g 0%

Less sugar than EDUDE's leading edge beverage.

From the Sumpoose website\
SumPoosie "heads" for Las Vegas! The Exotic Dancer Convention is going on August 26th through the 30th! We will be at Ceasars Palace. Come meet the newest bottle models and check out everything that is new at the SumPoosie Booth

Now thats what are schools need!!!

Parents are the key...not government or...

heidienergy
02-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I don't think energy dude is saying the company's are bad I think he is saying the products Coke and Pepsi are bad. I don't want to speak for him because I am new to this board and I don't want the anger switched on me but this banter back and forth is kinda crazy. I am a mother of two and I can tell you I didn't know 3 years ago what I know now. My kids no longer drink sugared sodas, but a lot of parents are not informed and I see kids drinking the stuff at baseball games like it is water. There needs to be more nutritional information put out and parents need to be aware.
Just my opinion.

Energydude
02-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Everyone here knows I can speak. ;) I am ripping the products more than I am the companies. I just don't see why they can't make the product better, and no one on this board does either. :(

JACK
02-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Does Sumpoosie have as much sugar as Coke? What makes that a better drink for you or I? Energy drinks can be bad for you too...right??

Control is not the answer...good parenting is.

Energydude
02-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Jack if you want to start a thread comparing Coke to start a thread comparing SumPoosie to Coke go ahead. This thread is "Coke and Pepsi the new RJR of 2004! The question "still" is this...
can Coke and Pepsi be made better yes or no.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-17-2004, 11:00 PM
hey guys, could energydude just be trying to make his presence on this board worthwhile by not talking about sumpoosie for one post?

the bottom line here is that everyone thinks that parenting is the issue. i for one will keep softdrinks away from my kids (hey, i ain't getting laid, no reason my kid should be the fat kid in school). i'll make em run laps around the yard, i don't care. the bottom line is, what we enjoy isn't so much refreshing or delicious, it's more of a snack and quite unhealthy in large amounts.

we're drinking sugar (or corn syrup) and water here, not milk.

and as for school districts selling out contracts for middle and elementary schools, damn right the pop companies should be forced to sell juice (no fruitopia-esque **** either) and water, if anything at all.

it's not so much that it's evil red and evil blue that are poisoning our youth, it's american pop culture in general. i work with a lot of people from wisconsin, and my god, the stereotype is true. all they do is relish being fat and eating butter-covered everything. here in michigan, we eat a ton of crap. americans eat like ****, and now our kids are eating like ****.

i love seeing those maury povich shows where they have the three year old kid that ways five hundred pounds. wow, edit that tape and send it over to japan. they'll call him littlesumo real fast.

we're gonna eat and drink ourselves straight to heart attack heaven sooner or later, but it's every individual's fault. we love the stuff. there's no nicotine or any addictive substance. people shouldn't be able to sue mcdonalds or coke for the products they sell.

how do you motivate a nation of 250 million independent-individuals to put down that can of mountain dew or sunkist orange and go for a walk (and not stop at mcdonalds!)? i think that's the real question.

we all know what we love, soda, is bad in large quantities. we're responsible adults. the problem lies in the millions of others that don't. if only coke and pepsi's ads had really fat people in them, that'd make people run to diet coke, real fast.

Energydude
02-17-2004, 11:11 PM
LOL!!! :D
The question is still.......can Coke and Pepsi be made better?

fusion
02-18-2004, 12:18 AM
The question is.. why? Why mess with something that works? Why reinvent the wheel? If somebody wants something healthier, better, whatever, they can go drink some water or juice. Coke already tried to "improve" with New Coke, and it failed. They learned not to mess with the formula.

This is America, we can make choices like that. And everybody knows that soda isn't a health drink.

We should be advocating personal responsibility and proper parenting, not bashing soda companies. They don't open the cans and pour them down your throat.

Energydude
02-18-2004, 12:26 AM
I see what you are saying fusion and you have some interesting points. With that being said why has Coke and Pepsi not removed every machine from schools? If it is not a health product and kids are abusing the product why not remove it? Why fix what isn't broke is your question and I say the answer is fix it if it can be made better. I ask again..... can Coke or Pepsi be made better? All you beverage people seem to be having a tough time answering this ... Can they be made better in your opinion yes or no!

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-18-2004, 12:53 AM
you seem to want us to say, "sure, throw some vitamins in it." that's retarded. then again, you believe in the health effects of energy drinks...

fusion
02-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Being made better would cost more, and the great unwashed, Walmartized masses do not want to pay more. They bitch and moan when a 2 liter bottle is over 99 cents.

The machines have not been removed for many reasons. They are under contract to be there. Machines are in locations not available to students (especially in lower level schools). Machines are stocked with noncarbonated beverages.. or one of many other reasons.

Uncle Thirsty
02-18-2004, 01:48 AM
The answer to your question is "NO".
Pepsi & Coke can not make a better product,

A few simple points to consider.

#1.Coke tried and you see what happened, that's been eplained several times.

#2 If you change the ingriedients, it will change the flavor charecteristics and the consumer will not recognized it as Pepsi/Coke.
Big Mistake, Refer back to #1.

#3 It's up to all of us So-Called Beverage Professional to come up with something Better.

and finally, Pepsi/coke can make a better soda, But if they did, they are probably smart enough to market it under a different name.
They would call it "Pepsi Better" or something similiar.

Xtrem
02-18-2004, 05:20 AM
Posted by energy dude

I can answer this one!!!! Think Pink Energy Drink has nothing to do with SumPoosie. One of the partners has gone off to do his own thing and has started a new company that is producing its own products out of Florida. I understand they are coming out with a new type of water too. I tried the stuff and its not bad.... I am just not too crazy about anything diet!!!

I am not too crazy about anything diet!!!

He says this and then he complains that Coke and Pepsi don't care about children. The answer to your question is simple, if YOU don't like anything diet why should a child? If something was made to be better for you, YOU would probably not drink it so why shoulda child? It sounds like maybe you should look at the reasons why you would or wouldn't buy something and then realise that what you are saying on this post is a load of crap.

How dare you challenge anyone when you are worst than any one else!!!!

I don't care what you say from now on. You have CLEARLY shown that you a full of ****

Energydude
02-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Xtreme for your information I am not crazy about anything diet but that is not the point of this thread. Please try to stay at subject we are discussing and quit trying to make things personal. Fusion said the product could be made better and Uncle Thirsty said no. Who is right in my opinion FUSION !!! Ofcourse the product COKE and PEPSI could be made better. You mean to tell me you can't improve upon HFCS and water???
What would it cost a few pennies that somehow we would not be willing to spend? Xtreme what is good for an adult is not always good for a child.
Just because I personally do not enjoy diet drinks has nothing to do with Coke and Pepsi making a better product. These companies make Billions and spend 100's of millions each year in advertisin pushing HFCS and Water as America's Beverage. We deserve a better product and Coke and Pepsi need to wake up.......times change.

JACK
02-18-2004, 09:22 AM
You have your opinion. Yes times change. Need a better product?? What makes it better to you surely would not make it better to the masses. By the way, Dr. Pepper made it better...it's called Diet Dr. Pepper. Tastes MORE like Dr Pepper. Yes, we all need to be healhier..but the consumer goods companies offer alternatives...it is YOUR choice to switch to them. Has Sumpoosie offered a LITE version for the Gentleman's club crowd?? Next my school district needs a donation, I will refer them to you and the MF lawyers who are really at the root of this. Remember the beverage industry does provide work for MANY people...

Xtrem
02-18-2004, 12:00 PM
OK, seeing as you so much want to answer your question I will write down your question

"Does it concern anyone else that Coke and Pepsi is marketed to children and is a very unhealthy product for children! High Fructose Corn Syrup and Water..... not a good combination for good long term health. Times are changing time expose the truth Pepsi and Coke have to change with the times. "

My answer is NO it does not concern me.

Your question does not mention anywhere can it be made better. So get of our backs, stop trying to make us want to say what you want to hear just so you can justify yourself.

And I will also answer what you didn't ask. There is no point in changing Coke or Pepsi. They have more than one product. I am sure an alternative Coke Pepsi product may be better. I also think that Coke and Pepsi have a role to play as do all other drinks to help us keep to a balanced diet.

I am only writing this LAST time, and it is THE LAST TIME to anything you comment on because even you deserve a kick up the ass in the hope that it may knock some cense into you

Good bye

karks88
02-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Ok, the answer is yes. Coke and Pepsi could indeed make a healthier soda. But it's not going to replace Coca Coca Classic or Pepsi's flagship cola. If you were a billionaire beverage company and your drinks were loved by people all over the world, are you going to mess with that success?

They are working on healthier alternative sodas. They have juices and water which are healthy. You're asking them to just shut down production on their most popular carbonated products, it ain't gonna happen! It's like telling the cable company that you are offended by the adult pay-per-view and you want them to get rid of it. What do you think they'll say? They're going to say that people want it and if you don't, then don't order it! Same thing with soda. If you want something healthier, if a parent wants their child to have something healthier then it is up to people themselves to make that choice.

Energydude, I have no idea what you expect anyone here to say. I for one am done with this argument because there is nothing left to say!

BottleBoss
02-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Fast food, Soda Pop companies. These are all scape goats. I don't have the answer for the obesity problem but these companies are not to blame. Mom and Dad are. A lot of factors are. Too many to name here. People need to take control of thier own lives. School districts and small minded government people/ programs shouldn't be making decisions for us. And as for EnergyDude, well, what could i say about this person that already has not been said?

drpep
02-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrem:

I am only writing this LAST time, and it is THE LAST TIME to anything you comment on because even you deserve a kick up the ass in the hope that it may knock some cense into you

Good bye :D smile.gif :D smile.gif :D smile.gif :D
I love it!!

cph
02-19-2004, 12:32 AM
you seem to want us to say, "sure, throw some vitamins in it." Coke already makes drinks with vitamins in it. Ever heard of "Hi-C"? (Still awfully sugary, though)

Energydude
02-19-2004, 02:59 AM
The interesting part of all of this is some of you say yes and some no as far as could coke and pepsi make a better product. The facts are we all know they can but they choose not to. Profit is what drives these companies. Cane sugar would be better than HFCS yes or no. They should stop marketing to children yes or no. You all have some very interesting points but you all seem to know that Coke and Pepsi could both be made better but they have chosen not to improve their product for many years........ times change HFCS and water is not going to cut it any more.

What would be your answer to making a better product????? ;)

boodoo
02-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Seems that no one cares wether or not Coke & Pepsi can make a better product.

What we really want to know is can someone make a better Energydude?

Xtrem
02-19-2004, 11:54 AM
"Seems that no one cares wether or not Coke & Pepsi can make a better product.

What we really want to know is can someone make a better Energydude? "

I wish, but I don't think so somehow.

Uncle Thirsty
02-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Boodoo's Last line was what I Call a "Classic"

You never what to mess with a Formula like that.

boodoo, You should bottle some of that humor, because it would be funny to Kid's & Adults.

Energydude
02-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Levity is best served on a cold plate! :cool:

Ron Swedelson
02-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Yes, Coke and Pepsi could make a better drink, but why? Yes, profits. That is why 99% of the companies are out there to achieve. Water is a great choice of beverage for people to drink, and they sell the heck out of that. Yes, sugar filled sodas are not the best choice for kids, but it is not the only cause for overweight kids. It is mainly that we now have high tech gadets and tv shows and a bunch of cool crap that was not around for many of us as kids. My 5 year old daughter has a bunch of videos and DVDs and and game boys and crap like that. Even though it was only 12 years ago when I was a 12 year old kid, it seemed harder to get video games and DVD's were laser disks that you only heard of rich people owning. So what did I do, play hide and go seak, and baseball and hockey in the street every day and night. So if kids were more active, had more choices to eat and drink, and parents made more lunchs for kids and not just hand them $5 each day, then Americas youth might slim down.

Energydude
02-21-2004, 10:02 AM
The part I find interesting Ron is no one on this board thinks Pepsi or Coke bare any responsibility. School district are kicking their products out and they fight it tooth and nail. I see a lot of simularities between tobacco and Coke and Pepsi. Selling to minors was not made illegal until the government stepped in. I am not comparing which one is healthier cigarettes or Coke and Pepsi. I am comparing how they have reacted like tobacco when told hey, we do not want this product around children. Coke and Pepsi are so far ignoring the call........ just like tobacco did.

cph
02-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Unlike tobacco, though, nobody's talking about making it totally illegal for minors to purchase soft drinks. No more machines at school == kids bringing them from home, or stopping by the store on the way to school.

So what happens if it becomes illegal to sell sodas at school? The companies would have to sell other things if they wanted to keep their on-campus contracts....juice, juice drinks, water... hich they already produce as well.

JACK
02-21-2004, 03:22 PM
They should sell healthier drinks and they do at schools. Most of you cant fathom the amount of support these companies and others provide schools and REALLY dont make much at all. Send the donation requests to the lawyers. Coke and Pepsi dont ignore this issue, you are wrong. They dont just stop making this product either.

Can't wait until the first kid gets arrested for selling Dr Pepper on campus. They will bring soda from the local c-store to schools trust me.

Energydude
02-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Jack.... that is the point. They don't care if they get rich at the schools. Its the branding they want. They want young children to become Pepsi or Coke people at a very young age. They want their brands in front of them so they can become lifelong customers.

The Alternative Crow
02-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Energydude:
JACK !!! I don't hate Coke and Pepsi I just think it is a crazy thought that these products can not be improved upon. MY POINT IS TIMES CHANGE, here they are getting kicked out of school districts across the country and they still do not get it. You can't even argue that from a nutritional stand point the product is crap..... agreed? HFCS and water = crap.

I would rather pay for the score boards then have myself or the school district bent over by Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi are doing no favors, they are paying to push their garbage on our youth and it is now being exposed. People are starting to understand Carbs and Sugars. 10 years ago we would not even be having this conversation. TIMES CHANGE!!! Instead of fighting them make a better product. The question is do they care enough.... has it effected their bottom line enough........it is sad that it has to come to that. If computer makers were satisfied we would still be working on DOS programs. Come on, you can't improve upon HFCS and water???? How was soda made 50 years ago? Are sodas made better now or 50 years ago? Sad when your quite sure huh............. NO!!! NOT COKE 2!!! SAVE ME CRUEL WORLD!!!

[ 02-22-2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: The Alternative Crow ]

mickstafa
02-23-2004, 01:00 AM
I know I said I wouldn't respond but....

ENERGY DUDE - you are comparing apples to oranges with tobacco and coke.

Yes, "recently" it was made illegal to market cigarettes to kids. Yes, cigarettes are bad for kids. Yes, Coke, when not properly moderated, is bad for kids. What you fail to grasp though is that tobacco IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN illegal to kids. The point was not to say "it is bad for kids, therefore we shouldn't market it to them." It was "it is ILLEGAL for kids, so we should not have cartoon characters that kids can relate to."

No school had cigarettes in vending machines. No coke has been illegal. Your point makes no sense.

And you never did answer this question, so please do, or do not post: What about candy? Candy isn't healthy, so do you propose we take out all candy from schools? Teachers can't hand it out, kids can't save their money and buy Skittles after school?

Answer these questions if you want any validity to your points.

Oh, and sure any company can make a "better" product. I want Coke to stay the way it is, because I like it. And so does just about everyone else but you. If you don't want to drink it, go drink your energy juice. Coke owns many non-soda brands, so quit whining.

Once again, answer these things.

toby1
02-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Mick, he wont answer anything. thats just the way he operates. He is afraid if he does, it will prove us "right"

Heres the answer that EVERYONE should agree on even edude:
Coke IS NOT illegal to anyone, even kids. Cigs are illegal to buy if you are a kid. So, if anyone thinks that "anything" (even soda) is bad for kids to drink, then step up be a PARENT and forbid them from drinking it. I know that EVERY parent in AMERICA forbids their kids from smoking.

The responsibilty falls in the parents lap edude. Maybe you are not a good parent and cant control your kids, so you look to the gov. and the companys to "CHANGE" what hs been working for them for many years.

I just wonder if you honestly believe what you write or are you just playing games with us just to pass time?

Energydude
02-23-2004, 09:52 AM
No, I don't think candy machines belong in schools either. I am comparing the way these products have been marketed. Cigarettes were only made illegal for minors to purchase in the last 10 years. That is because the tobacco companies continued to market towards children. Today I see Coke and Pepsi continueing to market to children even after they have been kicked our of numerous schools and parents have said, no more! What will happen if Coke and Pepsi continue to ignore the wishes of parents around the country. Lastly, Coke has cut thousands of jobs across the USA this past year. However, in India and Pakistan they are hiring accountants and computer techs?

I can buy a 12 pack of Coke for 2.49 do you really think anyone will not buy it because they switch to real sugar and the price jumps to 2.59?

By the way the sad thing is almost any candy bar has more nutritional value than a Coke or Pepsi.

boodoo
02-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Sugar in Coke/Pepsi or sugar in juice, according to the low carb folks they are all the same. If so then exactly what is "healthy"?

toby1
02-23-2004, 05:07 PM
" Lastly, Coke has cut thousands of jobs across the USA this past year. However, in India and Pakistan they are hiring accountants and computer techs? "

Oh boy edude....you really dont want to bring up this for a discussion....
Lets see if you can Answer me these questions:
1)How many engineering degrees will Americans achieve this year?
2)same question for India?
3)What is the starting job position and salary of those Post-students here in America?
4)same question for India.

Any one can see where I am going with this....
Coke is hiring these Indians to work for peanuts in a peanut position with an education level(also multiple languages spoken)that only a VERY small % of Americans hold.

I am not saying that this is patrotic, however wouldnt YOU hire a sales rep to sell your drink with a DOCTORATE and multilungual over a High school grad only speaking English (barly), While paying them a 1/4 of what you would have paid the HS grad?

I am waiting in anticipation for this "COMEBACK" .
cause I know there will not be an answer.

Energydude
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Boodoo a good healthy drink would be water from Texas!!!! ;)

boodoo
02-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Healthy water in Texas? Just stay away from the municipal water systems!

Energydude
02-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Even water from Texas is better than drinking Coke or Pepsi!