PDA

View Full Version : Road trip!

fusion
10-23-2002, 09:17 PM
Looks like I wasn't the only one to make a road trip recently.

First, I started out in the Carlisle, PA area.. Alas, no Fanta Lemon in cans was to be found anywhere... So I hopped down the road to Shippensburg, where I found..

Carver's ginger ale, in glass, at the Food Lion!

Then I drove for what seemed like forever...Finally stopped in Staunton, Virginia... Where I found (at the Super Wally)

DUBLIN DR PEPPER! I couldn't believe my eyes. I bought 5 6-packs. They also had 20oz CF Diet Dr Pepper and CF Dr Pepper at the gas station that was nearby.

Next, I hit Lexington and Lynchburg.. Between the two I found Fanta fridge packs, Orange/Grape/Strawberry, plus Mello Yello Cherry fridge packs. I ran into a Coke account rep at one of the stores, he told me they were discontinuing Cherry and Melon. I didn't see melon anywhere. I also found Dasani fridge packs and 24oz Dasani 6 packs. They also were selling 18 packs of coke half-liters, which were encased in a angled cardboard box, somewhat similar to the Snapple 12packs.

On the way back, I stopped again and found Sidral Mundet in glass, and 20oz Kuat. I thought the Kuat tasted like a mild apple soda, to be honest.. Not bad, but $1.49 for a 20oz is steep.

Finally, on the advice of the board, I stopped at a Cost Plus.. I picked up Bundaberg, Sprecher Ginger Ale, Frostie Root Beer & Cherry Limeade. I also got some Afri Cola, and I was honestly (and pleasently) suprised to see the bottle cap.. smile.gif

drpep
10-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Holy Cow!!! :eek: :eek: You're lying about the Dublin Dr Pepper :D :D :D . I've stopped in every town along I-81 between Hagerstown and Roanoke except Staunton and Harrisonburg (or whater ever its called) . Damn, I have no more plans to go that way this year. I had been in several Super Wallys along that route last month.
You could not have done this trip in one day, did you?
What did Wally take you for on a six pack?

[ 10-23-2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

drpep
10-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Just kidding about you being a liar ;)

[ 10-23-2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

drpep
10-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Also found along I-81 near Staunton is Nugrape, Dr Wells (as of last year), Coke 8oz glass and the famous Mtn Dew bottled by RC. Plus closer to Roanoke, and maybe Lynchburg, Cheerwine. Also Red Fusion in a fountian at the 7-11 in woodstock, VA.

[ 10-23-2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

karks88
10-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Fusion, you started out in my hometown! Did you check the Wal Mart for Fanta Lemon? I saw it a few weeks ago, however I haven't checked it out since. Nobody else ever had it around here.

drpep
10-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Fanta Lemon spotted in Towanda and Wyalusing Pennsylvania.

fusion
10-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Yes, I made the whole trip in a little over 26 hours.

:eek:

I didn't sleep!

The DP was $3.43 a 6pack. They also had Nascar Coke 6pks for $2.99, I had to grab a Dale Jr. for someone.

That is right where I went.. To the Super Wally in Carlisle. No Fanta Lemon anywhere to be found. Just grape/orange 2L, and grape 12pk. I really want it in cans.

drpep
10-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Fanta Lemon spotted in Towanda and Wyalusing Pennsylvania.It was in cans when I saw it. Wyalusing is about 45 minutes west of Scranton.

sodasommelier
10-25-2002, 11:52 PM
So you found Afri there with a cool cap, eh?? smile.gif Hmmm, wonder where that came from? ;)

Now at that Cost Plus World Market you may be able to find Moxie in longnecks with cane sugar... very good stuff!!

I'm shocked that Dublin DP could be at any WallyWorld. I really think it's incredible how they keep so many of us from getting it but then sell out to the evil W. Well... I guess sometimes that's how it goes.

And you gotta love any Mountain Dew made by an RC bottler... that's just great!

fusion
11-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Ok, made another (smaller) road trip. Didn't turn up too much that was exciting.

First stop, Lancaster PA. Found Pirate's Keg and Southern Swirl at a beer/soda store. Also spotted Moxie and a local bottler's (Kutztown Bottling) soda.

Next I headed up to Towanda/Wyalusing, to find the elusive Fanta Lemon cans. On the way, I stopped quite a bit, but was disappointed with what I found (nothing out of the ordinary). Did get my first taste of Choglit, not too bad.

Had a tough time finding any Fanta Lemon -- at first. Hit a few Kmarts, P&Cs, and a Tops. Then I headed down to Wyalusing, and on the way, stopped at another P&C. Found the Lemon! Woo hoo. It was canned by Mid Atlantic Canners. I don't think any of their other customers in this area got into the whole Fanta thing, that is why I never saw the cans anywhere else. This territory is CCE territory, most of the stuff was coming from production plant "RC"

I actually crossed over into NY for a hot minute, and spotted Canada Dry and Dr Pepper bottled by CCE.. in angle bottles... also from "RC". Coke didn't have Pepper south of there.

But there was also no Pibb Xtra to be found anywhere on my trip. It was getting late, and funds were low, so I didn't make any stops on the trip back down.

Also, I saw lots of Mello Yello in the C-stores. 79 cent retails for 20oz.. I guess it's new up that way?

drpep
11-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Pibb Xtra should be found in Wyalusing,at least in 20oz. South of NY Pepper comes from Crystal Water Soda or Rc Winchester and I believe I've seen one other bottler label. In NY Dr Pepper is Coke where you were. Richmond Coke can be found West of Towanda in Troy.
Mello Yello on the NY side has been around for awhile.
I was not suprised at that you did not find anything exciting up north. I've scoured most of the area between Mansfield and Montrose. The local Crystal Club can be found in many stores. Also Cherikee Red. Troy has a store called Red Hen that has a somewhat different selection. Moxie,all of Stewarts, Pibb Xtra, Hires and Ma's in cans. Hopefully Thanksgiving week I will be able to hit Scranton. Maybe Virgin will still be there. It was 2 years ago. Lots of print ads for it.
By the way do not bother with Binghamton if you ever get up that way again. You saw it all already.

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-15-2002, 02:50 PM
it's interesting that coke makes canada dry in southern new york because as i understand it, there's a huge canada dry bottling plant in college point, ny? i think it might be pepsi now but that's where they make this nations dr browns!

fusion
11-15-2002, 10:27 PM
College Point is in the NYC area. CCE's Canada Dry territories are far west of NYC. When I worked for Coke NY (before the CCE buyout), we were getting our ***** kicked by Pepsi outside of the metro NYC area. So they bought out a small Canada Dry distributorship in order to compete better with Pepsi in those areas.

The guy that owns it (Honickman) also owns other Canada Dry distributorships with territory in NY,MD,DE,PA,NJ. He also owns beer distributors and other stuff.. Pepsi in southern NJ as well.

Honickman Affiliates (http://www.hoovers.com/co/capsule/6/0,2163,48096,00.html)

That is a link to the Hoover's Online capsule about the company. It's a bit dated, since they sold their private label business to Cott about a year or so ago. He was also inducted into some beverage hall of fame recently.

By the time I actually got to Wyalusing, they had rolled up the sidewalks (it was only about 8pm). Everything was closed up. I was going to stop in Scranton, but I just decided to go straight home instead.

karks88
11-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Hey Fusion, the wally world here in Carlisle just got in some commemorative 8oz Coke Classic bottles. They are celebrating 100 years of Coke in Harrisburg smile.gif

fusion
11-16-2002, 07:18 PM
I was reading about that online. I was actually going to transfer there at one point.. (the office is in Lemoyne, but I bet you knew that already..lol)

drpep
11-16-2002, 08:31 PM
You must be a young pup fusion. I'm pushing 40 and its tough for me to get the ambition to drive across 2 counties and back before dark and you cover the almost the whole state of Virginia on one trip and top to bottom of Pa on another. Is it Red Bull? smile.gif Or is Sum Poosie giving you the energy :D :D I remember being young and taking those kinds of trips. Now it takes two weeks to decide if I want to drive 2 1/4 hours to Scranton or State College. Then I worry about the wear and tear on the car and getting back home at a decent hour. Stay young my friend ;)
And now I'm debating driving to Harrisburg to get those 100 years in Harrisburg bottles. Like I realy need them :rolleyes:

[ 11-16-2002, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

karks88
11-17-2002, 09:37 AM
They are pretty nice bottles! It's so rare that we see any Coke classic in glass around here.

You know, I find it weird that Wal Mart is carrying Fanta products, which nobody else in this town does, but they don't carry Citra. There are still a few stores around here that carry it, though.

Fusion, you should transfer out here! The traffic probably isn't quite as bad as you're used to smile.gif

[ 11-17-2002, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

SplitLevelP
11-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Wal-mart here has citra. The latest 8oz coke to be sold here was the Harry Potter 6packs & 2liter christmas 2002 issue. I can't wait for santa packs in glass!

drpep
11-18-2002, 11:31 AM
How long has Coke had 8oz glass in the Utica area? Down here in Elmira/Corning 2 stores just got some 8oz Nascar glass, first 8oz spotting in several years here.

bigrich
11-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Harry Potter 8oz glass were just released from plant (HO), Indianapolis.

drpep
11-19-2002, 10:00 PM
Hey fusion and karks88, I understand there may be an 8oz Coke bottle for Sheetz 50th anniversary. Have you guys seen one?

fusion
11-19-2002, 11:57 PM
I haven't. But we only have one Sheetz store in our sales territory, so we probably won't get the bottle.

karks88
11-20-2002, 08:35 AM
I haven't been to a Sheetz in the last few months but I will try to check it out this week.

USF SPAMMER 2
11-20-2002, 07:13 PM
Last time I was on a road trip I accidently killed a deer on purpose and drank some of its blood so he and I could be one in the great link.

It tasted like Blood Flavored Fanta...

drpep
01-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Hey fusion and karks88, I understand there may be an 8oz Coke bottle for Sheetz 50th anniversary. Have you guys seen one?I found out this bottle was not for sale in the stores it was given as a gift.

T.I.A.
01-28-2003, 05:55 PM
I just noticed the original poster, Fusion, started his road trip in Carlisle, PA. I am going to Carlisle to visit Dickinson College on Friday. Any particular place I should check out? Any place along I-81 I should check out?

Thanks...

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-05-2003, 04:11 PM
recently in detroit we got "100 years of bullet ridden coca-cola in detroit"

there was also the "detroit zoo polar bears" bottles, as well as the christmas bottles. then nascar. there was one other special package.

5 in a month. all with different dates. i bet rotating in the warehouse must have been hell.

i have noticed that CCE isn't always good about rotating those bottles. then again, they got a year on em

fusion
02-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Nine months, actually. I don't know what is going on with those bottles. We've had Harry Potter, Andretti (Nascar) and the plain bottles all delivered in the past few weeks.

FitzgeraldHead
02-07-2003, 11:27 PM
The end of March marks the time for a road trip for me to Canada. I still have a long time until then, but let me know if anyone wants me to search for certain drinks in certain areas. Also, I am VERY interested in trying out RC Draft... if anyone knows where it's sold between here and Toronto, please let me know. As far as the route of the trip goes... it's still not finalized, but it looks like we are going (from Atlanta area) to take I-75 north to Detroit for at least one way there. We are looking into stopping in Chicago too. Another possible route would be to switch to I-71 in Ohio, take it to I-90 in Clevland, and take that through PA and NY until we get to Niagra Falls. This is my chance to drive the country for fun, and you can bet I'll be looking for a variety of drinks along the way.