PDA

View Full Version : A question that no one here has answered

drpep
02-18-2004, 10:21 PM
I saw Deja Blue water in a Kmart ad. Why was this water hated so much on this board several years ago? No one had a reason for their dislike.

Ron Swedelson
02-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Just didnt taste good, wasnt marketed good, and seemed to take up space.

fusion
02-19-2004, 01:11 AM
It's still owned by DPSUBG, right? Didn't Jim Turner start the brand?

Canada Dry Honickman sells it.. it's a dog around here.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-19-2004, 01:34 AM
don't know what anyone had against it. it's a huge profit maker for stores, they usually givei t away for free.

boodoo
02-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Yes it is a Turner brand and yes it tastes bad.

drpep
02-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Don't see how it could taste bad since the bottle I once bought came from the same source that bottles most water in Western NY.

teamtitan512
02-19-2004, 10:16 PM
ABC pushes it all over in their territories. I can't see why it would do any worse than Aquafina or Dasani, which aren't wonderful waters either.

Shatter
02-20-2004, 01:21 AM
All the Deja Blue i've ever tried has ended up tasting like plastic. It's obvious that they don't rinse out the bottles after the manufacturing process. I've even tried Deja Blue in a can, and it tastes musty.

boodoo
02-20-2004, 10:11 AM
A simple lesson in bottled water....

Spring Water - bottled at the source from a naturally occuring spring. Usually has a TDS (total disolved solids) of around 165 ppm (parts per million).

Drinking Water - usually bottled from a municipal water system, filtered, most likely by reverse osmosis, and maybe even ozonated. Has a TDS of around 36 ppm.

If you are used to drinking tap water you are probably ok with Aquafina, Dasani or Deja Blue. If you are used to drinking well water or bottled (spring) water you may not like one of these.

Of yeah, there is Mineral Water with a TDS that can be OFF THE CHARTS!

Shatter
02-21-2004, 02:40 AM
My grandparents used to have well water. It tasted great, but it was hard to shower in. You'd use a drop of shampoo, and then have to rinse your hair for 45 minutes to get the shampoo out. A dab of soap would cover you in suds. Coming from a place with really hard water, it just seemed amazing to me.

cph
02-21-2004, 12:04 PM
My grandparents used to have well water. It tasted great, but it was hard to shower in. You'd use a drop of shampoo, and then have to rinse your hair for 45 minutes to get the shampoo out. A dab of soap would cover you in suds. Coming from a place with really hard water, it just seemed amazing to me. Sounds like Northern Mississippi (where I have relatives)....noticeably softer water than back home (Los Angeles....)

Of course, I didn't know what real hard water was until I went to college in Santa Barbara....in chem lab, our first task was to boil away water in a beaker and see how many dissolved solids were left behind....it was at the legal limit (500 parts per million or thereabouts)

the saint
02-22-2004, 11:43 AM
you havent seen hard water till you come to my house. I have top replace the hot water tank every 5 or so years due to calcium deposits. the bottom third to half of the tank will be solid calcium, and yes I drain the tank out every month and yes I have water filters on the inlet side.

drpep
02-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Another question. Who is Jim Turner and why do I get the feeling some people here do not like him?

boodoo
02-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Jim Turner is the extremely successful founder of the Dr Pepper Bottling Company of Texas. He is also the founder and primary bottler of Deja Blue drinking water. His company was merged with All American Bottling Group under the Cadbury "white system" a few years ago. Very powerful and influential. Has always treated me well.