PDA

View Full Version : What next with Diet Vanilla and Diet Cherry Coke?

MATHA531
09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
For the past couple of months, the local wal-mart in Valley Stream had a back log of diet cherry coke in the 1.5 liter bottles with the old label and I was able to get it knowing full well the day would come when this supply would run out. Guess what...the day has come.

Now I have some questions..

1. Is the lack of making diet cherry and diet vanilla coke a decision of the local bottler or of the coca cola company in general? Is there anybody around who is able to get diet vanilla or diet cherry coke in the US in 1.5 liter or 2 liter bottles with the new labels?

2. Yes, I can find some stores that sell fridge packs of diet vanilla and/or diet cherry but with teh NYS deposit law, it is much more expensive even when I locate it on sale. So obviously coca cola is still producing the syrup for these drinks.

3. Now I was thinking of a class action suit as I still have little difficulty finding vanilla coke and cherry coke in 1.5 l bottles. You know under the discrimination against the handicapped. Why isn't coke making available drinks to those of us who are diabetic or on a low carbo diet? Before you laugh, American tort law has seen such classic suits as suing McDonald's for millions for having the audacity to make the coffee hot when some idiot spilled it on his or her lap while driving and the classic suit against the phone company when somebody was making a call from a coin phone and got hit by a car and made millions claiming the phone company should have known a car cuold hit the phone....so making millions on such a law suit might not be far fetched. But I don't know who to sue, the local bottler or Coca Cola in Atlanta.

4. Finally while waiting for my law suit (ha ha) to get coca cola off its rear end and begin making available all its drinks, somebody suggested Da Vinci gourmet to buy sugar free vanilla and/or cherry syrup. How much is necessary in a 1.5 l bottle of diet coke to give it the same flavour as diet vanilla or diet cherry coke.

Your suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated and if there are any lawyers out there who want to handle the class action suit, let me know.

[ 09-20-2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: MATHA531 ]

drpep
09-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I think I'll sue Mcdonalds for not having Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper. :rolleyes:

[ 09-20-2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: drpep ]

Chad.
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
i've never seen a 1.5 liter bottle, but we have tons of the new label of both 2 liter around st. louis

MATHA531
09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
So I guess my class action suit will have to be against the idiots at Coca Cola Enterprises of NY or whatever it's called who obviously don't have a clue as to what people want.

Mr Nethead
09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Just because other people have gotten away with stupid lawsuits doesn't mean you should try to pull one off. Lest we forget, soda is not necessary to sustain human life. It is a luxury item. You can't sue a company because they're no longer producing your favourite flavour.

Besides, your point about discrimination isn't even valid because they do produce other diet beverages.

fusion
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
I can't believe you would even consider tying up our court system with such a frivilous lawsuit. And with a class action, you're going to need other people to join you. I wonder if you'll have any takers.

Some brands just sell better in certain packages. In Maryland, we sell most products in cans, but not as many in 2 liters. We got rid of 2 liter Diet Cherry Coke probably five or six years ago -- now it's just in cans and 20oz.

With the deposit law, you'll get the deposit back. Why is that such a big deal?

I use a teaspoon or two of the syrup per glass. It's not an exact science - I'd say start with one teaspoon and see how you like it.

Are you just visiting this one store to look for these products? Are you in fact sure they have stopped making them in 1.5L? Some stores will allow you to make product requests -- they have forms at the service desk. Or sometimes you'll have to do like a lot of us do.. just go out and start looking in various stores for stuff. You live in a populated area, it should be an easy task.

MATHA531
09-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey guys...

Don't you have a sense of humour? Actually somebody at CC Enterprises of NY did tell me they would no longer be providing the product in the 1.5 l bottles just after they changed the labeling and I thought then and I think now that was an asinine decision as the dvc sold very well from what I could see.

But would my law suit have been any more frivilous than the one against Mickehy D's when some idiot spilled coffee and sued them and won because the coffee was hot?

ramonazo
09-20-2005, 05:51 PM
I remember when Coca-Cola vainilla started to disappear from the Coke fridges in Aguascalientes (around the beginning of 2004), first I called to the local Coca-Cola bottler and they told me that it was discontinued, later I called to HOLA, the national Coca-Cola consumer information center and they told me that was still on sale. A few days later I called again to the local Coca-Cola bottler and told me that was still on sale but only in few stores, after five months of disappearing CC Vainilla completely from the grocery stores, I called again to the local bottler and they told me that definetely was discontinued, but at the beginning of this year I decided to call again to HOLA, and they told me that is STILL ON SALE!! I think that the guys of HOLA need to update their information...

Wow, if that thing of setting a law suit for any incident in a restaurant would be made in Mexico, the affected clients would be rich!!

[ 09-20-2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mr Nethead
09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd guess the only reason the spilled coffee lawsuit was a success was because the hot coffee inflicted bodily harm. In all likelihood it was all bunk, but they probably convinced the jury that the coffee was hotter than it was supposed to be or that the lid was faulty.

The soda market can be very disappointing sometimes. I can totally empathize with you over the loss of your favourite flavours. I loved Surge a lot. Red Fusion was also a favourite. They're both gone now and I still wish it wasn't so.

It's a real bummer, but we just have to move on and find something else to drink. At least you can still get fridgepacks.

fusion
09-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I didn't know you were joking.. you did seem pretty serious in your other posts about being upset that you couldn't find diet cherry or diet vanilla.

What I miss is Mello Yello Melon and Mello Yello Cherry. Surge is sorta back, as Vault. Red Fusion can actually be found in some parts of Texas still.

ramonazo
09-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Nethead:
The soda market can be very disappointing sometimes. I can totally empathize with you over the loss of your favourite flavours. Thanks for your support smile.gif , I really miss Coca-Cola vainilla, and also the citrus soda Beat... I understand that you guys also feel bad for the lost of great sodas like Surge, DC Vanilla, DC Cherry, Mello Yello flavors, and more...

[ 09-20-2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]