PDA

View Full Version : Do you even like fridgepacks/fridgemates?

pepsidew
09-25-2005, 06:22 PM
do you think they are worth it? do you use them in your fridge? or do you just take the cans out of the box anyways.

NewColaLover
09-25-2005, 06:45 PM
If I am feeling lazy I will just put the fridgepack into the fridge. But about 95% of the time I take the cans out so that I can stack them.

Mr Zabe
09-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I have 3 fridge packs taking up most of the bottom shelf of my fridge. I will keep the cans in the fridge pack until I either have less than six cans or I intend on buying more fridge packs.
I store the mislaneous cans where the fourth fridge pack would have fit.

I like the sound of the cans as they roll down and that's just about all that I like about them other than they are easy to put away when I come home from shopping. The old 12 packs, I had to bend down and place each can on the shelf. Now I just have to do that with a few cans.

I store 2 ltrs in the fridge door.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Fridgepacks suck, for the record.

Call me old-school.

SEV smile.gif

Mr Zabe
09-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Just wondering why you think they suck?

How do you like or dislike the new cubes?
I do not like the old cases,hard to carry.

fusion
09-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I like them, but I don't put them in my fridge. I have a heavy duty can dispenser I bought a few years ago at Wal-Mart. I usually have 4 or 5 different kinds of soda in it at once.. sometimes it's fun to go through the cans and see what's in there.

But from a merchandising standpoint, I don't like them as much. They are a little harder to work with, the handles are on the side, so people will put them back on the shelf wrong, and most Coke bottlers use the cheaper MeadWestvaco fridge master, which is made from thinner cardboard and has a lot of bucket failures. CCBCC and some others use the fridge vendor from Graphic Packaging (formerly Riverwood), and they use thicker cardboard and the buckets are a lot stronger -- and they have a tab on them so they don't fail as easily.

The good thing about the fridge packaging is that you can shotgun the packages, which allows you to put more flavors in a smaller set.

Mr Zabe
09-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Cool I do see your point. I do notice that the rout men/women do a lot of taping of the fridge packs. It makes one wonder if the shrinkage would
drastically change if a better quality cardboard was used. I will not buy a taped up fridge pack.
I bet you hate customers like myself. LOL

Look In The Tunk
09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Before fridgepacks I could only put six cans of sodas in my fridge, if I put more than six in my fridge mom would get after me (long story, she's a perfectionist), with the fridgepack I can just put it in the last shelf in the corner and nobody notices it. I have a TAB fridgepack in there now with various sodas in it (I just reuse my fridgepack until it falls apart)

fusion
09-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Actually, most people don't notice if they are taped. But many people will pick over them if they have the slightest tear.

Hacksaw
09-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I take them out of the packs. We just don't have enough room for a 12 pack in the fridge.

iluvsurge220
09-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I am the same way. At home, I can't fit a fridge pack in the fridge because there are six people in my family so that means lots of leftovers, lots of milk, butter, meat, cheese, etc. Along with that, my dad is a hot sauce freak, so all the food along with about 60 bottles of hot sauce means no room for a fridge pack. Anyways, I'm in college now, and we have a little fridge, and I couldn't fit a fridge pack in there if I tried. To conclude, I think a fridge pack is okay if you are gonna be drinking lots of pop for maybe a party or something because you want it all to be cold, but if you drink pop occasionally like I do (1-2 cans a day)then you really only need to have 3-4 cans in the fridge at a time. If you have all 12 cans in the fridge and it takes you 2 or 3 weeks to drink them then it just takes up space where you need to put other things. That's my say.

Mr Zabe
09-25-2005, 10:59 PM
LOL
I feel so spoiled and ashamed. LOL
I have an 19 cubic fridge/freezer with auto ice maker all for myself. LOL I have the typical fridge 75% fluids (cans/bottles) 20% take out and
5% junk foods. LOL

ramonazo
09-26-2005, 12:10 AM
We don't have here fridge packs, or even 12 pack cartons in the supermarkets, but Coca-Cola sometimes launches fridge-packs only in special editions, for example in Oxxo in 2003 there was an 8 can fridge pack of 8 oz. cans, after that in 2004 during the olympic games Coca-Cola released a 12 can frigde pack of conmemorative gold cans, also in Christmas 2004 released another special edition fridge pack and in July of this year Coke released a 12 can fridge pack of the Mexican Soccer team with a coupon of Domino's on it...

[ 09-26-2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

pepsidew
09-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by fusion:

But from a merchandising standpoint, I don't like them as much. They are a little harder to work with, the handles are on the side, so people will put them back on the shelf wrong, and most Coke bottlers use the cheaper MeadWestvaco fridge master, which is made from thinner cardboard and has a lot of bucket failures. CCBCC and some others use the fridge vendor from Graphic Packaging (formerly Riverwood), and they use thicker cardboard and the buckets are a lot stronger -- and they have a tab on them so they don't fail as easily.

The good thing about the fridge packaging is that you can shotgun the packages, which allows you to put more flavors in a smaller set. i think the fridgemates are easier to work with then the old school 12 packs, easier to rotate since we put them on the shelf the short way with the dates showing. you don't see much breakage if you know how to work with them.

mjb1124
09-27-2005, 12:15 AM
I think they're a good idea. But I don't like the fact that they're too long to fit in my dorm's mini-fridge. I like the "fake" FridgeMates better for that reason.

Mr Zabe
09-27-2005, 01:27 AM
I feel your pain. When I lived in a dorm I shared a mini fridge with my room mate. We were pissed off because we could not fit 24 cans of beer.

Soon enough you will move up in life and have a nice killer fridge with room for 4 fridge packs on the bottom shelf and 5 2lts in the door and fresh auto ice. Gee what a pleasure, you may never leave your house.

[ 09-27-2005, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

karks88
09-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm still kind of partial to the old 12 packs. I think it's just easier to carry if you have several of them at once. Plus, the fridgepacks in my area do tend to break more easily.

I haven't even tried one in the fridge yet :cool:

[ 09-27-2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-28-2005, 09:56 PM
i merchandise the miller lite, genuine draft and genuine draft light in fridge packs and i like it because our 3*4s did not come in trays. ours are taped together like mofo's though, so a lot of rippage occurs.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't like fridgepacks because they're a pain in the ass to carry.

I live in DC now, so I don't have a car.

Hence, I must carry 12 packs back to where I live, which can most easily done with a backpack. And fridgepacks don't fit in backpacks.

Luckily, I found a backpack that's tall enough, but still...

I yearn for the good old days.

SEV :(

Mr Zabe
10-06-2005, 11:52 PM
I am man of ritual behavior; I just completed my end of fridge pack routine. Lately my daily go to A list soda pop has been Pepsi and Mt.Dew. I have been on a two month binge. LOL Any how in my world it's important to not run of of these liquid life savers.

The best way IMO is to make sure I empty the fridge packs when there are 4+/-cans remaining.
This way I will make a mental note to get more.
If I don't do this I might get down to one or two cans. :( I could be at risk for a "gota have,not going to get" emergency.

Yes I know the convience stores are open 24/7.

[ 10-06-2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
10-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
in July of this year Coke released a 12 can fridge pack of the Mexican Soccer team with a coupon of Domino's on it... Here's a picture:
http://www.soriana.com/foto/fotolib/31/7501055315031/7501055315031-01-01-01.jpg

Sirtoddalot
10-13-2005, 01:14 AM
I miss the old cases, and no, never do i ever put the fridgepack in my fridge, takes up to much damn space, most of the time i just leave the sodas in the case on the floor in my kitchen, when i get thirsty for soda i put a couple cans in my freezer, wait a half hour or so and then i have nice ice cold, slighty frosty, soda, HOW I LIKE IT! YUM

pepsipimp
10-13-2005, 10:46 PM
we still have the fake 3x4 fridgemates of pepsi here in Mid Ohio-they don't plan on switching either-the cost to changeover doesnt really warrant changing.

Mr Zabe
10-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Stupid question.

Why doesn't the major bottlers required a uniformed standard for size and shape of cartons across the nation, like McDonald's ect?

[ 10-13-2005, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

boodoo
10-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the fridge pack.

[ 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: boodoo ]

BottleBoss
10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
They will continue to change product packaging because in many cases it gives a short term sales increase. Paint it blue and call it new as I have said before. But is the product any better.

the saint
10-14-2005, 10:30 PM
we are in the process of going to 6x2 here in OKC. I really do not have an opinion on the packaging yet, however from the ones that I have handled they seem to stay together better than the 4x3 fridgemates.

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-15-2005, 01:26 AM
What I want to know is why EVERYONE went to fridgepacks.

Did they start selling more of them when they came out?

Maybe they use less cardboard and are cheaper, but I doubt it.

SEV :confused:

Mr Zabe
10-15-2005, 02:18 AM
IMO
Fridge Packs were marketed as a value added feature that had no additional cost to the consumer. The Fridge Pack basically was a copy of an existing devise that had become popular.
The selling point was that this new package would organize your soda pop better and be a time saver.

Mr Nethead
10-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I used to be able to carry four 12 packs at a time. It's much more difficult with fridge packs. I have a mini-fridge in my room, so they don't help me anyway.