PDA

View Full Version : My Trip To Atlanta & Birmingham

bigrich
02-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Got to see some interesting things down South this weekend. In Atlanta I was surprised to see Red Rock at alot of places. Also, Afterglow is still around from (CV). I found a fountain in Atlanta that had Fanta Birch Beer. It was yummy. I went over to Alabama, and in Anniston CCE had the 13.2oz Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. Also, Afterglow was everywhere as was Diet Mello Yello. CCE had Dr Pepper there. Most product came from plant (ET). Buffalo Rock Pepsi had 12oz PET and sold 4packs of 1/2L Their 2-Liters looked like bullets, and they also produced 3-Liters. There was not any Sierra Mist distibuted by Buffalo Rock. In Birmingham, Coke United bought their 6pack 1/2L from Baton Rouge Coke. They also had Fanta in Orange, Grape, Strawberry, Pineapple, Peach, & Berry. Coke also had 3-L PETS. Their cans were from Coca-Cola Bottlers Association, Atlanta, GA 30318. United also had Diet Mello Yello shipped from CCE (CV). United cans did not taste very good as the beverages seemed poorly carbinated.

Cheer-wined
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
sounds like a really interesting trip.
speaking of Red Rock, a few months ago I found an article (from 1998) about the Atlanta distributor.
link to article on Clayton Distributing (http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/1998/07/27/smallb1.html)

was the fanta berry easy to find, and was it 20oz only?

fusion
02-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Actually, a good portion of that area is Coke United. CCB (Coca-Cola bottlers association) has made the move to using common cans and bottles/caps with the independent bottlers. I bought an Abarta 2L that had a CCB cap. Philly Coke's cans have CCB on the side.

I wonder if ET is Montgomery, AL. That's the only production facility CCE has in Alabama.

You didn't see any Buffalo Rock fridgemates? And they do have funky 2 liters! weird.

bigrich
02-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Berry was easy to find in 20oz. and Buffalo Rock had Fridge Mates. United's cans in Birmingham had code (CC). United 20oz's were coded (EH).

[ 02-24-2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

fusion
02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
CC is Chattanooga. They produce our 6pk 20oz. Most of the rest of our Powerade comes from Northhampton, MA (NP). They also produce a lot of the other non-carb stuff along with the regular carbonated sodas.

I think EH may be Birmingham. I have't spent any real amount of time in Alabama to really get a feel for things. There and Mississippi sound like really interesting places, beveragewise. CCE doesn't control half of either of those states.

Cheer-wined
02-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Doesn't Alabama have United (Birmingham), CCE (Montgomery) and Consolidated (Mobile) ?
That must make for a wild mix of Coke products.

fusion
02-25-2004, 07:33 PM
There are also a few indies.

Huntsville (has a production facility)
Decatur (no production)
Meridian MS Gulf States Canners for cans, their own facility for PET.

golee1
02-25-2004, 09:34 PM
I've noticed the CCB caps are now on Central 20 ounce and 2 liters

SplitLevelP
02-26-2004, 10:52 AM
In the late 90's I lived in Douglas county Ga. (ATL sub)In college park I think it was near the airport was a spanish grocery store that had 11.7 & 12 oz longneck glass coke and pepsi.I later herd the term on this board "Mexicoke & pepsi". If anyone here finds this store or knows about it, let me know if it is still offering these products.

Terry K
02-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SplitLevelP:
In the late 90's I lived in Douglas county Ga. (ATL sub)In college park I think it was near the airport was a spanish grocery store that had 11.7 & 12 oz longneck glass coke and pepsi.I later herd the term on this board "Mexicoke & pepsi". If anyone here finds this store or knows about it, let me know if it is still offering these products. Most reputable mexican markets still carry mexican coke and pepsi. I have a ton of places I can get those tasty products! :D