PDA

View Full Version : Coke With Cane Sugar for Passover

boilermaker
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Posted from another board:

I just phoned the Coca-Cola company asking when the kosher for Passover Coke would be released. They said around end of March. (Passover begins April 5th.)
Back up the truck, folks!

Also, I asked where I could get this stuff year round, and I was given the 800 number for the closest distributor to me (Oakland). I'll keep y'alls posted on the upshot of that.

Rejoice!

fusion
02-24-2004, 09:18 PM
I saw an update on upcoming brand releases and marketing events.. Kosher is due to be released the week of the 15th in our area.

SplitLevelP
02-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm counting the Days as well.This is one of my favorite times of year for coke. I drink very little soda and glass or passover coke is one of the few times I will break myself and have one, cause the rest of the year is crap and platic is not worth my time to have that vile after taste.
I also find around a mid June sell by date tends to be what is on sugar coke. So stock up now for those summer BBQ's. :D lord knows I will.Now I just need to find Glass with sugar at the same time, without having to either go on a hella road trip or pay the 300% more then you would buy a six pack in the store by the time you get some fool to ship something.Pepsi seems to limit alot more of what can be found in sugar in Upstate, NY.1 rep had told me they don't even make it.The members of this board had proof otherwise.Reps will say anything to get you off there line if they don't know.LOL.Ok all I need now is The Undertaker(old school version ;) ) and Austin in my corner cause this is turning into a promo so I'm gonna chill now.LOL. Later. :D

[ 02-26-2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: SplitLevelP ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-26-2004, 02:49 PM
fusion - any idea on which plants will be producing? i seem to recall that plant KE produced last year. isn't that elmsford, ny?

wasn't there also kosher sprite?

fusion
02-26-2004, 11:22 PM
KE usually produces it. There is a huge Jewish population in the NYC metro area.

They usually produce Coke, Sprite, Seagram's Ale, and Diet Coke. I guess the last one is just produced using the Kosher-ized equipment. They've also produced Kosher Seagram's Selter before.

I remember one year they decided to do 1L instead of 2L. That pissed off soooo many people (because of the higher retail price per bottle), they never did it again.

Kosher cans are also produced.

I think Alexandria VA (AX) may also produce Kosher. I'll let you know in a few weeks when we get it in. They are the primary 1L/2L production facility for CCE's territories in northern VA, southern DE, and southern PA (even though they are now in the EGL division, they still get most of their product from the Mid-atlantic).

Energydude
02-26-2004, 11:28 PM
All the money Coke and Pepsi make you would think they would just make a quality product and always use Pure Cane Sugar. It's the least they can do.

Ron Swedelson
02-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Someone explain to me why the Pure Cane Sugar makes it kosher? Ive sold beverages before with HFCS, and it still has the Kosher approval. Is the Cane Sugar just something that makes it more Kosher or what?

Uncle Thirsty
02-27-2004, 03:35 PM
I also would like an answer to that question...

anyone....

anyone....

turtleboy
02-27-2004, 07:59 PM
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/kosher1.html http://www.jewhoo.com/editor/funfacts/page2.html

[ 02-28-2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: turtleboy ]

fusion
02-27-2004, 10:54 PM
OU is not the same as Kosher for Passover. I'm not Jewish, and I honestly don't know the ins and outs of the whole thing.

Kosher for Passover Coke has yellow caps with Hebrew writing on them.

The machines are kosherized (I assume a rabbi visits the facility?) before the soda is produced. regular sodas are made with sugar, not hfcs. diet sodas keep their same sweetener.

Lepke
02-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Corn is not kosher to eat on Passover. I’m not sure why unless it has some kind of natural leavening in it. So corn syrup is not kosher for Passover.

Lepke
02-28-2004, 04:27 PM
i'll ask my rabbi this week and let you folks know what the story is

Chefdavis
02-29-2004, 10:35 PM
I can't say for certain, but I believe.....

Corn is a product of the Americas. Jewish law was written hundreds (if not thousands) of years before the 'discovery' of the western continet.

Translation corn is not kosher

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-29-2004, 10:49 PM
but they'll take our military technologies?

either way, it's good coke. (nad pepsi, as there is kosher pepsi as well - only a small KP sign is on the cap, normal label, normal white cap.)

Lepke
02-29-2004, 11:07 PM
CORN IS KOSHER JUST NOT KOSHER FOR PASSOVER

SamC
03-01-2004, 06:56 AM
OK, "Kosher" just means "fit to eat" according to Jewish beliefs, which can be mostly found in the book of Leviticus. Corn and any other cereal grain, isn't really even mentioned.

"Kosher for Passover" means that it meets the stricter rules for the period of Passover. During Passover, Jews won't eat grain, and corn syrup counts as a grain.

The "OU" stands for "Orthodox Union", one of hundreds of Jewish groups that certifies Kosher. And which charges for the service. (How much cost this adds to everyone's food bill is a matter of great conspiracy theorist internet pondering). Thanks to a US Supreme Court case from last year, companies are now free to choose whatever group they wish to certify Kosher.

Lepke
03-05-2004, 08:11 AM
According to my rabbi, when the rabbis first encountered corn a few hundred years ago they were not sure what it was and when you husked the corn there was some kind of powder or granules. Because Judaism is a religion of laws, the rabbis didn’t want to take a chance that it may not be fit to eat on Passover so they ruled it as un fit. The belief today is that the rabbis a few hundred years ago were some how more learned then today so no orthodox rabbis are willing to change the law now. Some thing goes for peanuts.
These foods being plants are kosher to eat any other time of the year.

boilermaker
03-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Just heard from my sources that it is available at Ralph's in the San Fernando Valley at $.89/2L. Stock up!

Terry K
03-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by boilermaker:
Just heard from my sources that it is available at Ralph's in the San Fernando Valley at $.89/2L. Stock up! And its available this week at So. Cal Albertsons locations for 69 cents! (There's a killer coupon in the ad for 69 cent coke 2 litres)

Ralphs has it for 80 cents in Bakersfield (plus that pesky CRV)

I'm waiting on it to get delivered up here, but my jeep will be loaded with it, and I'm calling my podiatrist who loves real sugar soda and gettin him in on the deal :D

bigrich
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Thank goodness it is here. I have now stocked up with enough to last me through the expiration date of 05/31/2004. It is at my neighborhood Kroger. CCE has shipped it in from plant (AX) Alexandria, VA. We used to get 12 pack cans from Herbco Chicago (MD) before the CCE takeover. They had a triangle on the side with the lettering cRc in the triangle. (Chicago Rabitorical Council)

[ 03-11-2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

glassbottlesrule
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know if this is availabel in hte Detroit and where?

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-12-2004, 05:14 PM
glass bottles rule: usually is. i found it in southfield (at a farmer jack off of the 696 expressway) and in oak park as well. seriously, to find this stuff, just think to yourself where there's areas of large jewish people, and go shopping around there.

southfield, oak park are your best bets.

Terry K
03-13-2004, 01:20 AM
I think I've given Bakersfield area Supermarket managers fear of me :D I've had to scrounge, but Albertsons came through today and got me 8 bottles of the stuff. (69 cents each!)

I can't get enough of this high quality coke!

I'm gonna take it to the Maxx tomorrow (a trip to FoodMaxx is in order to see if they can't help a nice, loyal customer out!) smile.gif

glassbottlesrule
03-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Run, I picked some up at a Farmer Jack in West Bloomfield. Tried one in Southfield but was barren. Decided to follow the population north. The store had a great passover section.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-14-2004, 09:25 PM
any diet coke, sprite or schweppes?

Terry K
03-15-2004, 02:49 AM
I've turned up Diet Coke-Kosher at Albertsons (they advertised it too!)

I'm waiting to see what else they come up.. Kosher DP anyone? :D

Lepke
03-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Why care about kosher for Passover diet coke?
It’s about pure cane sugar.

Energydude
03-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Imagine a world without HFCS....... :D

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-15-2004, 10:48 AM
it's gotta be kosher or they can't drink it... that's how i had it explained to me.

Gary C
03-16-2004, 02:38 PM
So where can I get Kosher Coke in Northeast New Jersey? I checked a local supermarket that has a special Kosher section, figuring they'd definitely have it since a lot of Jewish people shop there, but there was none. Maybe it's too early yet?

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-16-2004, 06:07 PM
easiest thing to do is call your local coke or pepsi bottler to see if they got a shipment in. i called lansing, mi. they did not.

remember, there's kosher pepsi as well and it is too delicious.

fusion
03-16-2004, 09:57 PM
It should be all over the place in northern NJ -- the Jewish population is immense there. You're right, it is probably a bit early to find it. It really wasn't due to be released until this week, but some places released it early.

fusion
03-17-2004, 08:26 PM
We received our shipment yesterday.. Just 120 cases of this marvelous stuff. I'll have to pick up a case Friday.

Gary C
03-18-2004, 09:42 AM
I did find Kosher Diet Coke and Diet Sprite last night, with the special cap with Hebrew writing on it, but no regular Coke yet. I guess the diet sodas don't need to be changed, other than throwing a different cap on the bottle fot the most part. I'll check back there again in a few days or next week. I would definitely expect to find it in my area.

Sea bass
03-18-2004, 04:30 PM
I would love to try the Kosher cola!! Can't locate it anywhere in Canada! Typical!

bigrich
03-18-2004, 08:12 PM
I believe Coca-Cola uses Sugar in Canada and not HFCS. Any info?

bigrich
03-18-2004, 08:16 PM
We also have large displays here of Dr. Browns 6 pack cans marked for passover. They are produced by Canada Dry Bottling of New York, College Point, NY 11356.

SplitLevelP
03-19-2004, 02:16 AM
I never heard of no HFCS in canada myself.as far as finding the kosher protuct have you checked the duty free stores?

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-19-2004, 10:53 AM
dr brown's black cherry soda kosher? mazel tov!

but yeah, it's all hfcs in canada, and i highly doubt there's enough of a demand for it in canada.

Bash125
03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Anyone know a place in Cincinnati or Dayton, Ohio that has Passover Coke in cans or glass.
I did get some 2 liters from Bilkers but the go flat so quick.

Thanks

Bilkers Deli & Gourmet Foods
9708 Kenwood Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242
513-791-5600

deanbed
03-21-2004, 06:47 PM
I am so sorry but I have to say it, this site is the equivelent of train spotting for soda drinkers, and after reading the amount of replies about Kosher drink, its confirmed that I really need to wipe this site from my files and move on before I end up having sleepless nights worrying that I have missed some juice somewhere, is this an american thing?.I stumbled onto this site looking for an answer to a question, and I should have gone when I had the answer, but you nearly sucked me into this soda spotting circle, oh and I will miss you too.

drpep
03-21-2004, 09:32 PM
See ya :rolleyes:

Sea bass
03-21-2004, 10:17 PM
I love this site!! :D

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-21-2004, 11:51 PM
slag off you moron. go brush your teeth.

Gary C
03-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Finally found the Kosher Coke and Sprite this weekend in North NJ. I've only seen it in one supermarket in the area, which has a large Jewish customer base. They didn't have Kosher Pepsi, but I'll be keeping watch for it.

Does Dr Pepper do the same? It would certainly save a lot of money rather than getting the Dublin Dr Pepper shipped.

golee1
03-23-2004, 12:17 PM
We got 80 cases of 2 liters in yesterday. I think they were made by CCE. I wonder if we're going to get anymore (probably not)

JSTL
03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Anyone know if there is a location near st. louis that has kosher for passover coke or pepsi?

I called the major grocery chains and only one had kosher coke, but it turned out to be the OU approved (w/ hfcs) and not the kosher for passover variety.

golee1
03-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I had a dream about buying passover coke...now that's weird.

golee1
03-29-2004, 12:18 AM

golee1
03-29-2004, 12:19 AM

Energydude
03-29-2004, 01:07 PM
The only thing wierd is Coke and Pepsi's refusal to make their products with Real Cane sugar ALL the time. Spend a little extra and make your product BETTER.

Startup Dude
03-29-2004, 04:06 PM
bigrich, SplitLevelP, I thought that, based on the ingredient list on coke bottles, the coke produced in Canada was made with real sugar. But I checked it out, it's just the labeling law that's different. In Canada, HFCS can be labeled as "sugar (glucose/fructose)" :(

RunWithdaLilGuy was right.

Bash125
03-29-2004, 06:03 PM
I would love to see them make the 8oz glass bottles with real sugar all year around. I would certainly would pay a premium for a better prouct.

Does Coca-Cola in Atlanta make syurp for all bottlers or do bottlers produce their own syurp? It would be a good oppertunity for a small bottler like Dublin DP to make a premium product.

fusion
03-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Coke produces the concentrate and sells it to the bottlers. They have a virtual plant tour online (you need Flash to view it).

Virtual Plant Tour (http://vpt.coca-cola.com/)

Concentrate is delivered separately from the sweeteners. I'm not sure if it's the exact same concentrate that is used to make sugar-based and HFCS-based sodas, but I would assume that it is.

I do know that there is a big concentrate plant in Allentown, PA.. and others scattered around the country.

Lepke
03-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Clean, light and delicious. Just got my first glass of KP Pepsi, truly the beverage of the gods.
Looks like it’s only available in 2 liter.

SplitLevelP
04-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm going to be in southeast Queens next week.Does anyone know if stores like KEY FOOD would have them of what queens store carry those products.

Energydude
04-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Nothing like the sweet taste of Pure Cane Sugar!
I have said many times it is CRAZY not to make a product better when a single ingredient could make it sooooo much better. A few more pennies to make the product would bother no one!

Lepke
04-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by SplitLevelP:
I'm going to be in southeast Queens next week.Does anyone know if stores like KEY FOOD would have them of what queens store carry those products. you will find KP soda in every real supermarket in NYC. and there will still be plenty of it even after passover.

Gary C
04-04-2004, 04:22 PM
What kind of markings does Pepsi use to indicate Kosher? Someone mentioned that "KP" letters are used...is that true? I've seen plenty with just a "K" on the cap, and others with no lettering at all on the cap.

There's plenty of Coke around here though. The cans have a "U-P" imprinted on them.

Gary

Zap
04-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Hi! I'm a new member to the board here, but after finding out about Kosher Coke, I too had to search for some!

Thanks to Bash125, I stopped at Bilkers today and picked up two 2-liters of Kosher Coke (along with some other goodies). They have the yellow caps with the Hebrew characters on them, bottled by CCE. Additionally, they have the text "OU-Passover" printed on the bottle along with the date code.

I'm also curious if there is anywhere else in the area to pick up some more Coke, or Pepsi for that matter. (How is the Pepsi Identified?)

Is there a number to call up Coke for more information?

Thanks and good luck with all of your searches! :D

Added later on:

WOW!! I can taste the difference! I'm going to be going back for more of this stuff!

[ 04-05-2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Zap ]

CeceAnn
10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Is Coke with cane sugar sold for other Jewish holidays, not just Passover?

Mr Zabe
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
To my knowledge.....No.:)
Kosher for Passover Coke (soda pop) is a once a year
thing.

fusion
10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
If you are willing to make a trip up to Allentown PA, you can get sugar Coke there, all year round.

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
If you are willing to make a trip up to Allentown PA, you can get sugar Coke there, all year round.
How about Allentown, PA sends me sugar Coke all year round??

orangehole
10-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Where in Allentown is this sold? is it bottled this way in Allentown? Cans and bottles? I am only 1 hour away and would gladly make a drive to stock up but I never heard about real sugar Coke in Allentown?

fusion
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
It's sold everywhere. 20oz, 12 packs, 24 packs, and 2 liters. It's produced at the ABARTA Coke plant in Bethlehem. Look for "sucrose" in the ingredients list.

You can get Classic, Cherry, Vanilla and Caffeine Free Classic (not all four in all packages).

They have a sister office in Coatesville, but not all the stuff they get is sucrose. Sometimes if I'm in that area (Chester County), I'll dig through the shelf looking to find the sucrose stuff. They print CRP on the side of the boxes that have HFCS that are distributed in Chester County.

It's well worth the drive to stock up. I think the Cherry Coke tastes the best - it's a clean, crisp taste.

I think their territory may just be Lehigh and Northampton counties in PA, and the Phillipsburg area in NJ.

Looks like the best deal this week is 2/$7 at Redner's.

Redner's Markets — Store Locations (http://www.rednersmarkets.com/stores/index.php)
Redner's Markets — Weekly Deals (http://www.rednersmarkets.com/specials/index.php)

Too bad they only make the colas with sucrose, I bet sucrose Sprite or Dr Pepper would be great.

orangehole
10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info Fusion. I will make the roadtrip to Redner's tomorrow.

whotony
10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
there is a farmers market in new castle delawre that sells 24 pack cases of the glass mexi-coke with sugar.

it i in a little food market in the New Castle farmer's Market
about $21.

new castle farmers market - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=new+castle+farmers+market)