PDA

View Full Version : FYI - positive review of Sierra Mist

Android
09-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm not a fan of Sierra Mist, but I know a couple of people here like it, so I thought I'd post this.

I'm a fan of sci-fi/fantasy author Orson Scott Card, and I regularly read his columns (which are from his local newspaper that are also posted to his website.) In his columns he reviews and gives his opinions on all sorts of things. He's not a fan of really strong sugary or syrupy products, so I wasn't too surprised when, in the course of a recent column, he praised Sierra Mist. While dissing Aquafina citris flavored water. It's in the middle of a fairly long column, I'll quote the the part of it that relates to waters and sodas:

In my ongoing search for low-calorie drinks -- not because I'm dieting, but because when I'm busy overeating, I don't want to drink the surplus calories -- I've found a few excellent new entries.

Clear Splash makes a group of gently carbonated fruit-flavored no-calorie drinks that I can drink with a meal without feeling bloated, the way more heavily-carbonated drinks do. They complement a meal instead of taking over.

Fruit Refreshers lemonade is delicious and not too sweet. With no calories, you can drink it like water.

I gave Aquafina's fruit-flavored waters a try -- after all, I reviewed Dasani's lemon water favorably and I can't favor Coke's products without also sampling Pepsi's, can I?

Well, yes, I can. I'm not Consumer Reports, after all. I'm just a guy who tells you when I find good stuff. I try to be fair, but I have no obligation to be complete.

So I sampled Aquafina's citrus-flavored water because the Amoco station in Buena Vista doesn't have Dasani's flavored waters. And guess what? Pepsi gets it wrong. The flavor is almost as strong as in soda pop. It no longer seems like a water.

But I'll give Pepsi full credit for getting it exactly right with Sierra Mist. I grew up on 7-Up (we used to be given it like medicine when we were sick, and we still liked it), and because Coca-Cola's Sprite is obnoxiously sweet, I always used 7-Up in combination drinks.

But Sierra Mist has displaced all the others. Both diet and regular are good by themselves, good on tap at fast-food restaurants, and great when mixed with fruit juices and blended smoothies.

Leaving the no-calorie category behind, I have to recommend Jones Naturals "Limes with Orange" drink. The taste is mostly orange/tangerine, but when you are drinking it, it's the lime you smell. Delicious -- and with all the authentic calories intact.

for the full article:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-11.shtml

==================================================
-Andy

Mr Zabe
09-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Like I said a while back. A few years ago I was hospitalized. (Goes unsaid I've been a pop freak since I was a kid.) I was not able to eat or drink except via the IV.

After four days of suffering, the Doctor ordered clear fluids (lemon lime soda pop). The nurse brought me a can of Sierra Mist. I pleaded with her for a can of Sprite or 7up but no the hospital only had Pepsi products.

Can you imagine how much I wanted a sip of cold soda pop? Even being what I thought was my death bed I couldn't get myself to sip down some Sieera Mist.

I waited a few hours for my family to stop by with a cold fridge pack of spite.

Sieera Mist.is just an inferior soda pop. I can't get it down the hatch sick or healthy. IMO

[ 09-26-2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsidew
09-26-2005, 06:50 PM
i like 7up better then sierra mist but i like sierra mist better then sprite

mjb1124
09-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I don't really understand why so many people think Sierra Mist is undrinkable. I don't think there's anything offensive about its taste - it's just a bit on the bland side.

Mr Zabe
09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Ok, I do not find it offensive. It's that it replaced Slice Lemon Lime which was on my A list of soda pop. IMO Sierra Mist was such a let down.
Like you said it has a week flavor.

I grew up drinking good old 7up which at one time was the gold standard for it's category. About 15 years ago I started to enjoy Sprite. 7up and Sprite are good (some would say medicinal) soda pops. Both these soda pops settle my stomach as well as taste good.

Sierra Mist does not do any of the above. It tastes too weak for my taste. Therefor IMO it is an inferior Lemon Lime soda pop.

fusion
09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm still peeved that they got rid of Storm.

I'm also a big OSC fan.

ramonazo
09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Sprite tastes better than any lemon-lime soda, I don't like 7UP here... BTW, could anybody describe me how Sierra Mist tastes? I haven't tried it yet...

But please... U.S. Sprite... CHANGE YOUR LOGO... NOOOOW!!!

[ 09-27-2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mello Yello Luver
09-28-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm surprised Sierra Mist is doing so well. But it sells...

Android
09-28-2005, 09:37 PM
to "Ramón" - I don't remember very well how it tastes anymore specifically. Its been like 4 years since I had a non-diet Mist. From what I recall, I think the flavoring was tilted more to the lemon side of lemon/lime - but overall the taste was weaker than Sprite or 7UP. It didn't appeal to me though. For sugared lemon/lime, I like Sprite best. I liked 7-up better before they tweaked their formula several years ago.

andy

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Of Orson Scott Card, I am a huge fan.

Of Sierra Mist, nothing could be farther from the truth.

I guess that's all I wanted to say.

SEV smile.gif