PDA

View Full Version : Things I don't like about this site

Bevorama
09-27-2005, 01:18 AM
So, I mostly lurk on this site, but I overall really enjoy it, but there are some things that kind of bug you. Anyone agree?

1. Why in the reviews is everything "we" this and "we" that? Is there really more than one person reviewing each beverage, because it seems like it's just one guy's opinion (otherwise, you would think there would be a lot more of "this reviewer liked it, this one didnt, etc.")

It just seems a little "Unabomberish" to me.

2. Why is the guy who does the reviews such an elitist? You ever notice how certain music critics like anything that is not popular, but the second a band becomes popular then they have to hate that band? It seems like it's the same thing here. If anything is "mainstream," it must be bad. If you can only buy a beverage in Bumblefu**, West Virginia, then it must be the greatest beverage in the history of the Earth.

I might add, there seems to be a real disconnect between the reviewer on this site and the people on the message boards. Most here seem pretty reasonable and like both mainstream and "harder to find" beverages.

Anybody agree with these points?

iluvsurge220
09-27-2005, 01:46 AM
I think that you are right about people liking both the mainstream and hard to find beverages. IMO it's just that mainstream beverages are available everywhere, so there really isn't much exciting to talk about when it comes to the Cokes, Pepsis and Mountain Dews. But, when someone mentions Bob's Bubble Gum Soda that is only produced in the middle of nowhere and no one has ever heard of it, it's exciting because people have found out about something new, and they want to know more about it, and try it. I don't agree with "If anything is mainstream it must be bad", and if you can only buy a beverage in the middle of nowhere it must be the greatest beverage on earth, though I think you don't mean this to be as strong as it seems to be. For example, I would be more interested and I would be more likely to go to a topic about a pop that I have never heard of before to read about it and ask questions to find out more about it, than I would be likely to go to a topic about the release of Diet Coke with splenda or something like that. This is just my opinion, but I do agree with your last point.

Mr Zabe
09-27-2005, 03:00 AM
If your speaking about the main reviewer for Bevnet,I see your point. I will speak for myself. I have read a good number of the revews, I just take them with a grain of salt.

What I enjoy about this message board is that there is so much passion. I'm gulity of sharing too much,using improper gramer and using run on sentances. I try very hard to be understood.

Most of all I so appreciate learning about main steam or specialty soda pops. This board has an awsesome variety of people. There are colledge students,9-5ers and the most awesome people who work day in and day out for the soda pop companies at the store level. To me reading what's going on in there jobs as they see trends and shopping paterns is like getting 50 yard line seats for the Super Bowl.

Yeah, this board is so cool it's hot. LOL

[ 09-27-2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Reviews are the opinions of the reviewers.

I actually like the reviews of the smaller brands. Anyone can go to the store and pick up a Pepsi or a Coke, but most of the country has no idea what Cheerwine or Inko's White Tea is.

karks88
09-27-2005, 04:42 PM
BevNet rocks smile.gif I don't usually agree with the reviews either but at least the User Reviews section gives us the opportunity to post our own thoughts on a beverage.

I have learned so much just by hanging around here over the years. As an outsider to the industry, it's great to get the views and info from those who are insiders.

ramonazo
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Things that I don't like of this site:

1.- The reviews, they always complain about Coca-Cola and Pepsi products, specially Coke, they always will find a weak point in every product: that the label is not attractive, that the aftertaste is bad, etc. Please be more positive in the Coke reviews... act less like Simon Cowell

2.- The behavior of the BevNet staff with the members... it's so rude, the board rules is an example, my respect for the rules, they are OK and they are necessary because thanks to this rules, this board is free of double sense words or bad language, but I don't like the way they mention the rules, they sounded like mad soldiers (no offense to the army), like if we said YES SIR... YES SIR... after each rule. Another example is when a private message of the Bevnet staff came to my account saying: "We eliminated the pictures of your signature, they were of 100 Kb, users are complaining", we'll... I'm not upset for this advice (In fact, thanks for saying me that, next time I will use images of small capacity in order for the good performance of this wonderful board) what makes me upset is that they don't say it in a polite way...

The good thing is this board, where I can express my opinions and I can update to the great people of North America about the releases of Coke, Pepsi and other bottlers in Mexico... Thanks, this board is awesome!

[ 09-27-2005, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Look In The Tunk
09-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
[QB] nother example is when a private message of the Bevnet staff came to my account saying: "We eliminated the pictures of your signature, they were of 100 Kb, users are complaining", we'll... I'm not upset for this advice (In fact, thanks for saying me that, next time I will use images of small capacity in order for the good performance of this wonderful board) what makes me upset is that they don't say it in a polite way...
/QB]Yeah, some of us old timers still use dialup.

BottleBoss
09-27-2005, 08:08 PM
1. I love this site.
2. Reviews are only opinions. Try the drinks and post your own.
3. I love rules. Give me more.
4. Dial up is my friend.
5. Weird sodas produced in nowhersville are cool because we can't get them easy.
6. Main stream drinks are only sometimes good and are too easy to get. Wheres the excitment in that? Would you drive 100 miles to get Coke classic in a plastic bottle from 7-11? NO!
7. i nver spel wrong iethr; or usee bad pronociation".

CaffeineBoy
09-28-2005, 09:11 PM
i sort of agree with your first point, and i also think the reviewer(s) sometimes pay too much attention to certain aspects of a product, like the packaging. sometimes a drink will get low ratings just because it has unappealing packaging. while the package does contribute to sales, i think sometimes the reviewer(s) pay too much attention to it.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-30-2005, 12:29 AM
I've been pushing your 2nd point here on this board for a while now.

It's amazing how many popular mainstream drinks BevNET dislikes, especially Coke and Pepsi products, while many people here on the board love them.

However, there are exceptions. Honest Tea is gaining alot of steam in the market, and BevNET still hails it as a perfect beverage line. However, keep in mind that it was a very small company when they first reviewed it. ;)

I always made the complaint that BevNET's highest rated drinks are regional, micro-brewed recipes that only a few of us might be able to obtain.

SEV smile.gif

mjb1124
09-30-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
The reviews, they always complain about Coca-Cola and Pepsi products, specially Coke, they always will find a weak point in every product: that the label is not attractive, that the aftertaste is bad, etc. Please be more positive in the Coke reviews... act less like Simon CowellI was never too fond of the fact that they use the label design as a factor in their product ratings. I think the reviews should be based strictly on the taste.

Mr Zabe
09-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Well said!

I guess us soda pop freaks would buy any soda pop regardless of how the can or bottle looks.

My guess is that Bevnet is addressing their reviews to the general public that might not try a soda pop due how appealing it's container looks.
I do not think I am making a big leap in saying that most uniformed consumers would not buy a fridge pack of Coke that was orange with bright green lettering.

Where as us soda pop freaks upon finding that the product inside the fridge pack was 12 cans of pure sugar can Coke, would buy it faster than speed of light. LOL

That's what I see going on.

[ 09-30-2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-01-2005, 01:24 AM
An orange fridge pack with bright green lettering? That just makes it easier for me to single it out in a wall of other 12 packs.

Anyway, it makes me sad to think that mainstream consumers would decide not to buy a new product because of the packaging.

However, I can see something like that happening with the Stinger energy drink. Has anyone seen it? It has a vicious looking bee on the front. Not very attractive. I believe BevNET mentioned that in their review of it.

Haha, but I DO remember a few people complaining about TaB's pink can. Poor babies! lol

SEV smile.gif

ramonazo
10-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Another one... the logo, the logo looks like if this site were only dedicated to Gatorade or to energy drinks...

jblaviback
10-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah the logo could use some work, I am fine with the reviews because when it comes down to it you have try a beverage to really see if you like it. BUT to try it you have to know where to find it! This leads to my main complaint they need to show where things are located. I know they have a little thing next to each review that is sapposed to tell us where to find it but more likely than not it just say's SUBMIT IT. The only sodas that they have where they are located are all the national brands like coke and pepsi.

Mr Zabe
10-06-2005, 09:07 PM
You guys are right.
The logo should have a glass bottle and or a can combined in a stylish way. The current logo does look like a freaked out sports drink lable. LOL

xJABBERWOCKx
10-07-2005, 07:43 PM
What I miss about this site, as I've said a few times before, is the creativity and humor that used to go into each review, as well as the big, final letter grade. Sure, these old nuggets of web journalism were a bit "green", and BevNet is more professional now, but those were some good times.

Look In The Tunk
10-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Now that I'm looking at a version off of archive.org I too remember the grading system.

Here's the page on fruitopia:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990424093459/bevnet.com/reviews/fruitopia/index.asp

This beverage is very poor. "Jet Planes have nothing on paper kites." This is a quote from the side of the bottle. Why, we ask? Is this necessary? This beverage is truly poor. *It tastes bad (like water) and it has no fruit juice in it. *So WHY*is it called "Fruitopia"? Truly a mystery. Lemon Berry Intuition?...please. Lets try not to be so trendy next time.

=======

I think Frutopia being too trendy kinda killed them in my opinion.

xJABBERWOCKx
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Aww, thanks for the link, man! Boy, does this bring back some late night web-surfing memories. The frutopia review was exactly the one I had in mind, too. That was hilarious. Orbitz comes to mind as well.

[ 10-07-2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: xJABBERWOCKx ]

ramonazo
10-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow Anita! thanks for the link to that website, I just entered to the first Coca-Cola site released in 1996!

http://web.archive.org/web/19961022174605/http://www.cocacola.com/

Look In The Tunk
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
. Lets try not to be so trendy next time.
=======

I think Frutopia being too trendy kinda killed them in my opinion. [/QB]Funny, a few hours after I posted this, I just cracked open some Tazo Tea (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/tazo/) (I buy it when its on sale at the Farm Fresh) and the label is so uber-trendy, its sickening:
"Shake before drinking : you might also want to do a little chant if you feel up to it"

"Please recycle this bottle. It deserves to be reincarnated too"
----

I always associate Tazo tea with this customer I had a crush on at this grocery store I worked at last year. He always came in every Monday and bought Sushi and a Tazo tea.
:confused:

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by xJABBERWOCKx:
What I miss about this site, as I've said a few times before, is the creativity and humor that used to go into each review, as well as the big, final letter grade. Sure, these old nuggets of web journalism were a bit "green", and BevNet is more professional now, but those were some good times. agreed. then again, you and i have been coming here for several years now, and are of the same age group. i remember when i was the newst memeber, and that was for like two months.

jblaviback
10-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Sometimes it feels like the whole review is all about marketability and not at all about how it tastes.

SURGE
10-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I'd like to chime in my agreement on the argument against reviewing packagining. Vault is said to be taste like SURGE yet in the end it is a star lower? Something odd about that system.