View Full Version : Tab with sugar?

Dr. Galaga
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Okay, I came across this on ebay:
http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/f5/47/ce_1_b.JPG
What's with the "sugar added"?

SamC
09-27-2005, 09:39 PM
When cyclamates were banned (IIRC, c.1973), the alternatives were so vile that they had to add a small amount of sugar to make it drinkable. They then set the serving size, which companies could define themselves back then, so low that it was "five calories per serving". Again, IIRC, a serving was one ounce, meaning the product was only slightly less caloric than Coca-Cola. This lasted for a few years, until full saccarin formulas hit in the late 70s.

At this same time a lot of products got renamed, such a "Sugar-Free Sprite" became "Diet Sprite"

ramonazo
09-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I remember when I was a kid (1987 aprox.) that one day invited my family and me to an event at Nuevo Laredo, Tamps., in that event they were serving Coke, Joya and Tab, but I don't remember the taste of Tab... maybe I didn't drinked it, the only thing I remember is that I wanted the cap, in that time I used to collect caps.

Some people said that Tab was really disgusting... this is true?

[ 09-27-2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

TaB
09-27-2005, 11:14 PM
TaB... is, well, TaB.

Tinny, acidic, a rougher and more defined version of Coke.

I prefer it to all other diets, other than Coke Zero, which is my other favourite.

SamC
09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
Some people said that Tab was really disgusting... this is true? No. Tab was the same thing as Coca-Cola Zero is today. Which is to say the excact formula of Coca-Cola flavorings sweetened artificially.

Its bad reputation is/was, IMHO, a function of three things, two a matter of perception:

- Coca-Cola would not call it "Diet Coca-Cola", which made it seem "less".

- It came in pink cans and had a 100% female advertizing focus, which made men uncomfortable.

- It had to use the artificial sweeteners of the day, which varried from country to country and from time to time.

The product varried from very good to mediocre, depending on the sweetener.

IMHO, if KO had just called the product "Diet Coke" way back in 1960, it would still be the dominant diet cola today.

Hacksaw
09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
I had the Tab with cyclamates, it was pretty good, but not like Coke. The modern Tab is awful to me.

drpep
09-29-2005, 09:51 PM
I drank a Tab in the early 80's after mowing a woman's lawn. Horrid drink, awful.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by SamC:

Tab was the same thing as Coca-Cola Zero is today. Are you sure?

ramonazo
09-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SamC:
[QUOTE]- It came in pink cans and had a 100% female advertizing focus, which made men uncomfortable.That reminds me an episode from The Simpsons, when Bart makes their ballet dancing and after that opens a can of Tab and drinks it...

billygtexas
11-01-2005, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
That reminds me an episode from The Simpsons, when Bart makes their ballet dancing and after that opens a can of Tab and drinks it...

I remember that episode too, LOL - Still why doesnt Coke do anything to change the image of Tab?

They are giving Fresca an update, so why dont they change TAB's logo, get rid of the pink cans and re-promote it for a "new generation"? As it is now Tab's truely the AMC Pacer of soda cans.

[ 11-01-2005, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Mr Zabe
11-01-2005, 05:06 AM
No mater what TAB's logo and color of can are.....
10W30 auto oil in another can/logo is still car oil.

The new Fresca flavors taste great. Tab with or without a new image still tastes nasty.

I speak as a long reformed TAB drinker. LOL