PDA

View Full Version : Warning Labels On Pop cans?

jblaviback
09-29-2005, 05:23 PM
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are from this board about this article: Warning Labels on Pop cans (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/07/14/earlyshow/health/main709023.shtml) you can also watch it as a news clip. I myself love soda pop but try not to drink tons of it because of the health factors such as sugar, caffine and calories. However I highly doubt putting warning labels will do much. The individual person has to decide for him/her self how much pop they drink.

wonkapete
09-29-2005, 05:28 PM
That's just a bit absurd in my opinion. You can overindulge in anything.. chips, candy, etc. Why pick on Soda?

ramonazo
09-29-2005, 08:34 PM
IMO... people won't pay attention to them...

C'mon, the warning labels in the cigarrettes are an example, they are even more noticeable in the package and bigger than the brand logo, it resulted? No, the people continues smoking, even a pack everyday...

I'm agree with wonkapete, if they're going to put warning labels in soda, why don't they put them in fast food, candies, etc.

That warning labels would be meaningless here in Mexico, where sodas are like the part of a mexican meal, it's in breakfast, lunch and dinner. (not me, I drink only one or I don't drink on weekdays, but it's in weekends when I lose control)

In conclusion, it's all about decision and will of ourselves, to drink or not to drink, to eat or not to eat... that is the question.

[ 09-29-2005, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey, If I choose to drink myself to the point I pee Mt Dew yellow,my blood turnes into Red Cream Soda, my nose ejects pockets of Squirt mucus and my bowls are so twisted that I have to mix cotten seed oil into my Pepsi to get forward action......
So be it. I love soda pop, my day is about soda pop,I think about, I talk about and if it kills me sooner or later, than so be it.

I will die in time, soda pop is my salvation from a mixed up stressful world. Go ahead and black box what you want...I'm drinking my soda pop.

Venting Over!

[ 09-29-2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Nethead
09-29-2005, 10:23 PM
With so much obesity in the U.S. people are trying to figure out where to point the blame. Soda is an easy target. But the real reason that many of us are so fat is because we don't get enough exercise. Putting a warning on a soda can isn't going to change that.

If they're going to put warnings on soda, maybe they slap a warning on packages of bacon too.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-29-2005, 11:53 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous.

If sugar, calories, and caffeine are to be means for a warning label, then we might as well also put labels on ketchup, half-and-half, and coffee grounds.

A child's consumption should be ultimate regulated by their parents.

And for a child's weekdays unregulated by parents, more schools should wise up and stop selling soda.

Let soda be a treat that kids get at home.

Schools should aim for overall mental, intellectual, and even physical health.

SEV smile.gif

jblaviback
09-30-2005, 11:08 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous.

If sugar, calories, and caffeine are to be means for a warning label, then we might as well also put labels on ketchup, half-and-half, and coffee grounds.

A child's consumption should be ultimate regulated by their parents.

And for a child's weekdays unregulated by parents, more schools should wise up and stop selling soda.

Let soda be a treat that kids get at home.

Schools should aim for overall mental, intellectual, and even physical health.

SEV
I completey agree with your standpoint SEV

Mr Zabe
09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
With out sounding like a complete sap.
You guys are making me proud. I have been saying
for a long time that it's the parents noble and ultimate responsibility to make sure they are eating and consuming healthy foods. It is the parents responsibility to make soda pop a treat once and while at dinner and not a stable.

Us adult can wait until the kids are doing homework or sleeping. It's not a double standard that adults may want to drink soda pop it's a earned privilege. Just like enjoying a couple of cold beers after work.

My point is that we have an obligation to raise our kids in a moral way, with guidlines and rules.
This in my view is the most loving thing parents can do.

[ 09-30-2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

iluvsurge220
09-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I believe as well that it is the parents responsibilities. Before I left for college, my parents always made me and my siblings drink milk for supper, and they always drank tea. That is from the time I was old enough to drink milk from when I left for college about a month ago. Sometimes they would let us drink tea or pop but that was only on certain occasions. Now in college I still drink milk a lot when I eat supper, and I still drink milk when I go home and eat with my family. Sure I drink pop but no more than one or two cans a day. Sometimes none. Every now and then I will drink a 2-liter in one day or I will buy one of those 44 oz fountain drinks but I do this very rarely, and I am of the normal weight. 150 lbs. I'm 18 and I am about 6' tall. My parents were responsible and I believe that all parents need to be responsible.

Android
09-30-2005, 10:50 PM
I was the same way when growing up. Soda was a rare treat at our house. My parents always had me and brother drink milk. But when we had money to spend, we could spend it on whatever we wanted, which was often soda pop. And it was easy since they built a Safeway store almost directly behind our house. But once I got old enough to afford to buy soda, I went all out on it. Probably not the best thing, I'd likely do better with milk, but I seldom drink it now.

andy
andy

Look In The Tunk
09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Well, I must of came from the crazy train wreck family. When I was little it was always kool aid, or sugary iced tea (My mom used to buy that nasty powdered milk! That stuff was only good for cereal.), and once I got about 10 it was soda from then on. I've wised up now that I'm getting older though and I drink mostly diet, I'll have maybe one regular soda a day though.

But yeah, I'm not going to lie to you guys, but I didn't turn out 'fine' from my eating habits from when I was younger.

If I could afford it though I'd probably drink Evian all the time or organic drinks.

ramonazo
10-01-2005, 02:23 AM
The same for me, on weekdays I usually drink diet sodas, and in weekends I go nuts drinking regular sodas (and usually one or two every week). But I remember that my family and me used to drink first flavored water like Tang, but after that we switched for regular sodas every afternoon, most of the times Coke, with the food, but now we're switching to drink diet sodas with our meals (Coca-Cola Light, Pepsi Light or 7up light).

And funny but, the Coca-Cola product that I drink most during the week is... Ciel Purified Water, because in the office where I work there's a 20 liter gallon of Ciel, and I drink a lot of water there...

http://www.contal.com/images/garrafon-ciel.gif

[ 10-01-2005, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

No Soda
10-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Sodas already have a warning label. It's called the "ingredient list." Read it and you'll see that after water, sugar (or more likely HFCS) is the main ingredient. Enough info for a reasonably intelligent person to make an informed choice.

When the last of my teeth turn yellow and rot out, I won't blame Coke or Pepsi....to see who's responsible, I'll just look in the mirror....