PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi gains market share, Mist in top 10

fusion
03-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Pepsi gained .4% market share, while Coke and Cadbury both lost share (.3% and .7%) last year.

Sierra Mist is now the #9 brand in the country. Diet Dr Pepper was kicked out of the top 10, 7Up fell to #10 from #8, and its' spot was taken over by CF Diet Coke.

Pepsi gained ground on Coke in 2003 (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/0304/04pepsi.html)

and, for comparison, 2002's numbers (a pdf file).

Top 10 carbonated soft drink companies and brands for 2002 (http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2003.pdf)

drpep
03-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Good for Pepsi. After reading the new book about Coke I now somewhat dislike the company.

Robot
03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Good for Pepsi.. Sierra Mist is my fave of the three big lemon-limes (mist/sprite/7up), and everyone around here seems to like to bash it.

It's amazing how big the market share for Coca-Cola is, in terms of just the coca-cola sode.. Coke + Diet Coke + CF Diet Coke is a HUGE frigging slice of the soda pie.

Mt Dew is amazing, suprised its only at 6%...

Energydude
03-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know the amount of consumption of Coke and Pepsi over the last 5 years in the USA.
I wonder how much bottled water and energy drinks have taken away from the big 2.

Ron Swedelson
03-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Sierra Mist is great. My fav. of the three. I am sure items like Red Bull, Rock Star, etc. have taken away a good amount of volume from Coke and Pepsi. But in overall percentage of their sales, maybe a couple percent, but that is huge. Pepsi has some players in the energy drink market, and Aquafina, which is the #1 water, followed by Desani. Both of which are filtered local water. But Red Bull states their are not a thirst quencher, but a funcional drink. But whatever, take out Red Bull, Rockstar etc., you could probably add an additional 1.5 million cases anualy to Coke and Pepsi (Domesticaly)

fusion
03-05-2004, 12:51 AM
Bottled water consumption was 21.1 gallons per person in 2002, compared to 54 gallons of soft drinks, 22.6 of beer, 22.6 of milk, and 21.9 of coffee.

in 2002, Aquafina was the #1 brand, with a 10% market share. AFAIK, they are still #1. Coke was #2 with 8.5%. Coke grew their numbers 40% in 2002. I guess it grew about the same in 2003, and they are looking for 40%-50% in 2004, with all the new packages adding to the growth.

All combined, Nestle's brands in the US (Poland Spring, Deer Park, Zephyrhills, Ozarka, and so on) have a third of the market.

Colas have been on a slide for years. Coke and Pepsi were smart to get into the water business and run like hell with it. I would say the companies are growing because of the growth in water sales, not hurting from it.

SamC
03-05-2004, 07:25 AM
What I see in these numbers is PepsiCo was smart to presure its bottlers to dump 7-UP for SM. They have grown, not really at KO's expense, but just because of Mist taking over 7-UP slots.

The question for the future is will C-S retaliate by taking Dr Pepper in house? I would.

karks88
03-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah you'd think to secure longterm growth DPSU would take more products in-house. I remember hearing last year that they are trying to improve their system.

I am a little surprised that Sierra Mist cracked the top 10. It's not a bad drink, aside from Livewire it's about the only Pepsi product I will buy.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-05-2004, 05:19 PM
i like sierra mist as well. i'm not a huge lemon lime drinker but i will grab one once in a while.

SplitLevelP
03-06-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm sticking to my original story I like old 7up better.However I do like mist.with the exception being the original release from KFC with they will say was no different tastes less lemon then the version that replaced 7up on the store racks.that version tastes like monkey crap.

Energydude
03-06-2004, 09:18 AM
You would think that if Coke and Pepsi Colas are dropping in US consumption they would do something about it? My suggestion is still for them to simply make a better product.

toby1
03-06-2004, 10:32 AM
I love how edude bridges HIS topics to others!
Espeacially, when everyone STOPS posting on HIS original subject.

By the way...I do like the S Mist. very refreshing. However I still love a cold bottle of water.

Energydude
03-06-2004, 10:49 AM
I love how some people just can't go one sentence without running their mouth. I know I have said it before but it seems like Coke and Pepsi would do something or create a whole fitness brand. Water is just not enough the public will demand more.

toby1
03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Are you refering to me?

your posts have NOTHING to do with the topic!!

Maybe its you that LOVES to run your mouth!

Energydude
03-06-2004, 11:25 AM
I would like to apologize to the board for this sophmoric dribble. I attempt to stay on subject but it is difficult when one person wants to continue to bash away. I was hoping he could rise above it all but It seems he cannot. I will spare the board any additional harrasment by sticking to whatever "content" Toby puts in his threads which by all accounts is meaningless at best. Maybe one day Toby will bring something to this board other than his ability to vent and spew anger towards others. Again, I apologize to all the members of this board.

toby1
03-06-2004, 12:14 PM
apology accepted edude.

SURGE
03-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Well I will play Danny here sicne he has yet to chirp in. Anybody surprised by the Mist numbers is obviously out to lunch. Pepsi has thrown millions and milllions at this brand and has basically undercut everybody else in price. The real interesting thing to see is how well 7up held up. Before you start saying how well Mist did you might want to realize that 7up did almost as good with far less distribution and almost no advertising. Another thing to note is that cracking the top ten is no huge thing if this was the top 7 then I would personally call and congragilate Pepsi. The only real news this year is that 7up is a real brand with real identity. The sad news is that as usually we see the public buying into cheap-knock off stuff that strives to simpley steal marketshare from a real marketleader. Coke really does need to get their act together too. Have they gained marketshare in years?

PhillySteve
03-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Of course 7up is still doing well. It's a well-known brand that has been around for decades. And despite being dropped from Pepsi bottlers it's still available in most of the country. The point is Sierra Mist knocked Sprite down 5 percent and is probably continuing. What would you have said if Surge knocked Dew down that much? ;)

DPDude
03-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I still prefer Sprite to Sierra Mist. 7Up is great too but I only drink it mixed with other beverages. Around this part of the country Sierra Mist is a third place contestant.

SURGE
03-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by PhillySteve:
Of course 7up is still doing well. It's a well-known brand that has been around for decades. And despite being dropped from Pepsi bottlers it's still available in most of the country. The point is Sierra Mist knocked Sprite down 5 percent and is probably continuing. What would you have said if Surge knocked Dew down that much? ;) Actually in its launch year SURGE nearly made it into the top 10. i think it was like 10 million cases away. This is especially good considering that, it wasn't forced on people in the way that Mist has been, lets not forget that alot of areas saw 7up dissapear for weeks or months during the transition, that helped Mist alot. Also lets not forget about Remix that no-doubt stole some share from Sprite, prolly more than 5%. We will see in 5 years where Mist is at. It is my guess it will be about where Mello Yello is, a big brand that only sells becouse of its massive distribution and product placement. Your assertion that it is continuing makes little sence to me. Most people have tried Mist by now and most still prefer Sprite. The massive marketing and price mark downs on Mist are over so I see little reason that it will grow at this point, barring some sort of national "buy 1 get one free" or something.

[ 03-14-2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: SURGE ]

PhillySteve
03-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I said the trend was probably continuing because most people I've talked to prefer Sierra Mist to Sprite not vice versa. Sierra Mist might very well share the fate of Mello Yello. I guess only time can really tell.

You made a very good point about Remix, though Sprite was down the previous few years also.

As for Surge, I know it did well its first year. It was about 25 million cases from the top ten, and despite that Dew was still up.

fusion
03-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Remix was introduced to spark some life into "brand Sprite," like the whole Sprite Zero/Diet Sprite thing is supposed to do.

Sprite itself lost market share to Remix, but if they pick up incremental cases beyond the cannibalization, then it's a win-win situation.

(yes, I realize that's all beverage-speak, but it's the best way for me to get my point across)

I still see people grab a Pepsi and a Sprite. There are some Mist loyalists out there, but I think a good chunk of the volume was the giveaways they did when the product was launched in various areas (lots of buy 1 get one, or buy 2 get one on 20oz). The 12pk Pepsi boxes here currently have coupons on them for Mist.

teamtitan512
03-15-2004, 11:44 PM
I do agree that Sierra Mist really doesn't have a following, which means its future is doomed. If you look, the only people that even buy it are those who see it costing less. When you have Pepsi and Coke the same price, I see everyone choose the Sprite. One thing Pepsi didn't count on was people finding 7Up in those areas they used to have it now in 3rd tier. It seems like 3rd tier around here is growing, to a point. I still think we could use at least 1 cooler or vending machine somewhere to get 3rd tier. Wal-Mart doesn't even have 3rd tier products here. I've seen Supercenters here that only have a small selection for DP and 7Up, and both were Pepsi here is, Pepper still is.

DPDude
03-16-2004, 01:05 AM
I agree with you as well. Sierra Mist doesn't have a following and is really seen as Pepsi's "Oh yeah we have a clear lemon lime soda too" kind of thing. Of course, that has been Pepsi's M.O. for years, leaving a trail of soda carcasses in grocery store aisles.

I was at a Corner Store a few months back reaching past the Pepsi route driver to grab a Coke out of the cooler when he jokingly said "I can't let you drink one of those!" I replied "So how is that Pepsi Blue doing anyway?" He looked away and got back to work.

SURGE
05-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DPDude:
I was at a Corner Store a few months back reaching past the Pepsi route driver to grab a Coke out of the cooler when he jokingly said "I can't let you drink one of those!" I replied "So how is that Pepsi Blue doing anyway?" He looked away and got back to work. Thats almost evil but hey atleast they are unionized....oh wait.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-12-2004, 04:59 PM
and what's so wrong with the unions?

ryaxnb
08-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Good for Pepsi. After reading the new book about Coke I now somewhat dislike the company. what new book?

melloyelloluver
08-22-2004, 07:28 PM
It's seems that Sierra Mist *now #9 on the list* is doing well vs Spite. Thus alowing Pepsi to gain shares on Coke. Pepsi was very smart with releasing Sierra Mist. My question now is.. when is Coke going to wake up and smell the coffee? They seriously need to start pushing its citrus soda's like Mello Yello or Surge. Come on Coke - lets get going. Pepsi just punched you with Sierra Mist. Now you need to fight back.

SamC
08-22-2004, 07:48 PM
SM did not "punch" Coke. Pepsi bottlers were bottling 7UP, and switched to SM. So 7UP sales share, showing up in the big pie as DPSU share transfers to SM sales share, showing up in the sales pie as PEP share. Sprite remains the market segment leader and keeps its share.

But, yes, KO needs to fully market Mello Yello or Surge, and Fanta flavors. And DPSU needs to cancel DP contracts with Pepsi bottlers.

As to the book, probably "The Real Thing" by Constance Hays. Which is hard on the company, and plays rather fast and loose with the truth in its discussion of the era from 1985 to present.

PhillySteve
08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
To say that Sprite kept it share is simply not true. Sprite's share was down o.3 points. That might not seem like much but compare it to 7up which was down 0.5 and Sierra Mist which was up 0.7. Mist obviously didn't get it all it's share gain from 7up. Volume wise, Sprite has been steadily losing 10-15 million cases a year since '99 (most non-diets have). But last year they lost 30 million. Twice as much. Sierra Mist took mostly from 7up but they took a bit from Sprite as well.

teamtitan512
08-23-2004, 01:30 AM
I don't see where pushing Fanta flavors is smart for Coke. Where they've tried, they've already pulled from the market. They were not a success at all in the Mid-Atlantic, and I think if they're going to do anything, they need to add to the Minute Maid line. It's already established as a quality name in fruit-based products, so get a new Strawberry or something in the soda line. It sells here right behind brand Coke and Sprite with absolutely new advertising for Valencia. They just keep putting it in coolers, and it keeps selling.

fusion
08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
There were two other flavors planned for the new MM fruit line, but they never appeared.

Valencia Light died a pretty quick death. Lots of people still ask me for it, though.

MM took a huge nosedive when Coke started pushing Fanta. Which is a shame, considering that it's a better line, imho.

melloyelloluver
08-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Hey Fusion, How are the Mello Yello sales doing? They are probably down in sales a little bit since Coke got rid of Cherry, Melon, and Afterglow.

fusion
08-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I haven't seen any numbers for it. But in Maryland we only sell it in 20oz and 12pk. It does as well as the other flavors in 12pks.

I really think it would do well if Coke promoted it more and the bottlers made it as important as Consolidated and the other bottlers in the Carolinas do. They should also push the diet version more, too.

teamtitan512
08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Fusion's right. Consolidated puts it in every cooler. The top row is for Coke (now I'd say C2 is there too), then Diet Coke/Cherry/Vanilla, then Sprite and BerryClear, then the bottom has Nestea, MM Lemonade, Mello Yello, Pibb, Dasani, some combination of those, usually always including MY.

Do you think anyone would buy Sierra Mist if it wasn't forced down people's throats?

This goes for all of Coke's brands. Put them on the shelves, and maybe consumers start buying what's there.