PDA

View Full Version : Why do Diet Coke cans float and regular Coke cans sink?

XLS_04
10-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know the reason this happens?

Mr Zabe
10-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Prey tell, have you taken various soda pops to test in you daily bath. I bet your rubber ducky is not too pleased with you. LOL

My guess is that HFS in high concentrations is heavy so that it will not allow a thin can filled with carbonated water to float.

Just the opposite maybe true with aspartame.

[ 10-06-2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

yankees26mlb
10-06-2005, 04:59 PM
that requires a science lesson

wonkapete
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Yep, we did this in physics class.. it's due to the amount of sugar in coke classic. Unreal amount of sugar...

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I supposed if you wanted to be technical, you could say that Coke's density is different than the Diet Coke.

I guess that your typical answer from a college kid, right?

But I still find it hard to believe.

Yet another reason to hate HFCS!

SEV ;)

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-07-2005, 04:57 PM
unreal...it's 42 grams of corn syrup. it's just heavier. phenylkenutronics don't weight nearly as much.

TaB
10-07-2005, 07:16 PM
That's not why.

Equal parts of artificial sugar to real. It's the density level, as SEV mentioned.

xJABBERWOCKx
10-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I saw a demonstration of this in my 3rd grade class, and I remember it well. They do not use equal parts artificial sugar to real. Artificial sugar is much sweeter. If you use "Sweet and Low" or something in your coffee, you don't need as many packets to make it sweet as you would with regular sugar. In a sense, everyone is right because it is the use of more regular sugar or HFCS than artificial sweetener makes regular coke more dense than diet.

TaB
10-08-2005, 09:50 AM
By equal parts, I meant that they try to balance the sweetness.

I should have been more clear. Anyways, it still has to do with density.

DietCokeEnthusiast
10-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
phenylkenutronics don't weight nearly as much. I think phenylketonurics weigh as much as people without phenylketonuria. ;)

Mr Zabe
10-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Drinking soda pop means never having to be sorry for a weak bladder. tongue.gif

(Saterday night, cracking a few with the Board. LOL)

[ 10-08-2005, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-08-2005, 11:55 PM
For the record, I think that RunWDLG, when he said "heavier", meant that it had more mass, which might be true.

But since artificial sweetener also has a different level of sweetness than normal sugar, then clearly they use different amounts to reach a certain level of "sweetness"(which I doubt they have scientific ways to measure).

Also, don't forget that Coke and Diet Coke use different formulas(formulae, if you must), so that also contributes to the fact that they have/need different amounts.

SEV smile.gif

Acheron
10-12-2005, 09:46 AM
I've noticed this phenomenon also, though not in the example you cited.

Take your average bag of Splenda, for example. It weighs mere ounces but has the equivalence of a much heavier bag of sugar.

I imagine this is one thing that turns some nondiet drinkers off to diet beverages, at least subconsciously - the texture of the beverage is different. The most flagrant offender that I've experienced is Diet Code Red. It just seems to be missing that syrupy consistancy that is one of the hallmarks in my mind of regular Code Red.

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Yes I've definitely noticed that Splenda-sweetened beverages have a unique texture, although there's very little difference.

If you don't believe it, take a nice swig of C2. You'll see what I'm saying.

In fact, CocaCola Classic, C2, and Coke Zero all have different textures because of their sweeteners.

SEV smile.gif

ramonazo
10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
If someone in a boat falls to the sea, give him a 12 pack of Diet Coke, He will be saved... LOL

Mr Zabe
10-13-2005, 09:49 PM
LMAO!!!!

jblaviback
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
HAAHAAHAAA!!!!
thats a good one, only thing is the beverage itself is NASTY! :D

ChrisPC
10-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
Yes I've definitely noticed that Splenda-sweetened beverages have a unique texture, although there's very little difference.

If you don't believe it, take a nice swig of C2. You'll see what I'm saying.

In fact, CocaCola Classic, C2, and Coke Zero all have different textures because of their sweeteners.

SEV smile.gif Splenda is so super-sweet that it has to have lots of filler to be even with sucrose. Most of the crystals aren't even sugar, they're dextrose or cornstarch! The actual sucralose crystals are much smaller than sucrose or fructose, too.

drpep
12-08-2005, 09:14 PM
If Diet Coke floats and Reg Coke sinks what does C2 do?

ramonazo
12-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Keeps in the middle of the surface?

ColaFan
12-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Regular Colas have 12 brix. That's about 12% solids
Diets have 0 solids.
More solids = more weight