PDA

View Full Version : "Sierra Mist Free"

DietCokeEnthusiast
11-03-2004, 04:25 PM
I saw this in the grocery store on Friday and I thought to myself "It tastes so bad, they're giving it away for free!" and yet, I still didn't want any.

No, seriously, what do you think of it? It doesn't work nearly as well as DSZ and it doesn't really show it's diet. In fact, when I did see it, there was someone actually looking for Diet Sierra Mist (amidst my mutterings of "sprite's better"). I was picking up chips on the opposite side of the aisle and he looked so confused! He actually had to call his wife over to help him (and I don't know if they ended up getting it, I was already on my way).

Coke04
11-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I haven't seen this yet.

Robot
11-03-2004, 07:56 PM
yah i had no clue they were doing this...

XLS_04
11-04-2004, 09:33 AM
I noticed this last night too, sounds like a cheap diet Sprite Zero rip off.

Caffeine Free, Calorie Free, Carb Free.... Sprite's version 0 caffine 0 calories 0 carbohydrates.

Tannerman
11-04-2004, 10:25 AM
How can it be a knock off if it's just a renamed drink... just like Sprite Zero?

PhillySteve
11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
It seems that both companies are trying to drop the "diet" tag. Overseas Diet Coke is known as Coca-Cola Light and Fanta also has a light version. Pepsi Max doesn't contain sugar but enjoys popularity among young males who generally don't drink "diet" soft drinks.

The problem I see with the name Sierra Mist Free is that many people won't know what it means. It's the reason Pepsi eventually renamed Pepsi Free to Caffeine Free Pepsi.

As clunky as Diet Sprite Zero sounds (it's simply called Sprite Zero internationally) people hopefully will understand what it is. Although I remember a Coke guy once saying how people still ask where the caffeine free Sprite is.

The fact is American consumers are often not too savvy. Ambiguous brands don't tend to do well. Just look at how the mid-cals are doing.

Personally I think Pepsi would have been better off with "Sugar Free Sierra Mist". After all it works with energy drinks and that is mostly younger people who the big 2 are trying to go after with the lemon-limes.

DietCokeEnthusiast
11-04-2004, 04:52 PM
"Sugar Free Sierra Mist (even though it never had sugar in the first place...it was HFCS!)" could be the perfect name!

drpep
11-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Article at www.bevnet.com (http://www.bevnet.com)

teamtitan512
11-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Sierra Mist free? Sounds like the fitting price for it.

Here we go again, with Pepsi avoiding original ideas. Just when they seemed to be starting a trend of making new products (Pitch Black, Holiday Spice), they're reverting back to typical Pepsi.

SamC
11-05-2004, 07:23 AM
The market leader says "diet colas are to be put in pastel cans" (Tab pink). The imitator imitates (Diet Pepsi baby blue).

The market leader says "diet colas are to be put in reverse color cans (original Diet Coke white and red). The imitator imitates.

The market leader says "diet lemon-lime is to be called "DIET whatever" but "Whatever something" (Diet Sprite becomes Sprite Zero), the imitator imitates.

PhillySteve
11-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Here we go again, the fanboys go on spin control.

The innovator releases three new flavors in 2004 (Baja Blast, Pitch Black, Holiday Spice) and they focus on a name change.

Coke's big innovation this year was "premium" (higher) prices on C2 and 1.5L bottles.

And Diet Pepsi imitating Tab is just absurd. It's one thing to use facts to make an argument, but this is just making stuff up. Tab sales are a drop in the bucket. No one would even think of imitating it. The baby blue cans appeared in 2002 when Pepsi decided to use the color blue to highlight the brand. And I know the fanboys remember Pepsi Blue was launched in, hmm, 2002!

DietCokeEnthusiast
11-05-2004, 11:10 AM
erm...Diet Coke w/ Lime :rolleyes:

Yeah...those flavours were so good too! I mean, Holiday Spice is quite possibly the worst reviewed product in history (excluding 1986), Pitch Black was almost impossible to swallow (I only drank about half of a 20 oz and then had to throw the rest away), and Baja Blast....I mean...if that wasn't Pepsi trying to get customers to go to a dying franchise, I dunno what is!

[ 11-05-2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: DietCokeEnthusiast ]

Coke04
11-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Whether or not you like Dew, it's not a dying franchise.

mjb1124
11-05-2004, 07:24 PM
This reminds me of Pepsi Free and the gag in Back To The Future (You want a Pepsi, you have to pay for it!)

And I agree that the Tab/Diet Pepsi pastel color argument is ridiculous. But still, I think this name change was unnneccesary.

Robot
11-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Yah, anyone that calls Mountain Dew a "dying" franchise is joking or dumb..

Mountain Dew is only getting bigger and bigger, Pitch Black did very well for a limited edition, and Baja Blast is excellent..

Regular Dew will always be a top seller, its amazing stuff. They'll keep riding its coat-tails with other brand offshoots for a long time.

SamC
11-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I was speaking in the historical context. In the 60s Coke put Tab in pink, so Pepsi put Diet Pepsi in baby blue. In the 80s, Coke put Diet Coke in reverse colors with little lines, and Diet Pepsi went into reverse colors with little lines. In the 90s Coke put Diet Coke in silver cans and Pepsi One was born, in a silver cans. Now Coke drops "Diet" from Diet Sprite and WITHIN THREE WEEKS, SM gets renamed.

If Coke renamed Diet Coke, George III Monkey Brain Cola Fizz and put it in purple and green cans, Pepsi would have Richard II Gorilla Brain Cola Bubbles within 3 months.

The Market Leader leads, and the Imitator imitates.

mjb1124
11-06-2004, 12:48 AM
But it's not like Coke hasn't ever imitated Pepsi. Can you say Fanta Berry? And let's not forget the unique, original flavor of Mello Yello. ;)

[ 11-05-2004, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

PhillySteve
11-06-2004, 01:06 AM
It's funny Diet Coke with Lime was mentioned, since it was a very safe move for Coke to make after Diet Coke with Lemon (which by the way came *after* Pepsi Twist).

Overall, Pepsi and DPSU have been much better than Coke with launching truly innovative flavors. Coke has no problem innovating overseas but since New Coke, they've been hesitant to do anything too radical in the U.S. They need to move on.

Crystal Pepsi, Pepsi Kona, Pepsi Blue, 7up Gold, Red Fusion, Storm, Josta. Now that's balls.

The market leader plays it safe, the innovators innovate.

fusion
11-06-2004, 03:41 AM
Fanta Berry was nothing like Pepsi Blue. It didn't have a cola base.

And it's Diet Sprite Zero, not Sprite Zero. The "diet" is still there.

And how can you say that changing the color of a can almost 40 years after the fact is imitating (in the same ilk as the Mist Free/Sprite Zero comparison)? I'm lost.

The real innovator in the Coke family is their #2 bottler, Coke Consolidated. Fridge packs, fridge pack PET bottles, the first to roll out Dasani, Mello Yello flavors, double fridge pack, and so on.

Frankly, there aren't a whole lot of new soda flavors out there to invent. Especially not any with any real staying power. That's why Pepsi is doing these limited edition drinks. They know they can't keep them on the shelves any longer without them dogging out.

Vanilla Coke is already gasping for air. Surge fizzled after a year. Citra died after a few, and was reborn. Coke "fixed" the Minute Maid sodas by adding juice, and then they killed them off for Fanta (no juice).

Coke is also a brand-killer. They buy out the innovators, and kill them off. Planet Java, Mad River, Fresh Samantha (now part of Odwalla)... In my opinion, they are even abusing Barq's by not doing anything substantial with the brand.

Pibb Xtra and Mello Yello will never, ever come close to their counterparts, but that doens't mean that they can't be sucesses on their own. The big two/three have been ripping each other off for years.

I think Holiday Spice takes like Coke. So there.
tongue.gif

XLS_04
11-06-2004, 04:26 AM
well honestly they all rip each other off all the time.

RC 100 was still the first caffeine free cola
7up was still the first lemon-lime soda yet Coke seems to be the leader of that lemon lime category and when Pepsi-Free came out Caffeine Free Coke came out shortly after.

As far as the designs Pepsi One did resemble the late 90s Diet Coke graphics colors. However the mid 80s Diet Rite graphics resembled the Diet Pepsi graphics of that time.

I did not hear anyone mention Diet Rite current graphics being the same color as diet Pepsi's current graphics.

There are people out there that would actually believe that diet Sprite Zero is a NEW product when it was just simply a name change. So that is why I am guessing Pepsi did that.

DietCokeEnthusiast
11-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy O'Sullivan:
Yah, anyone that calls Mountain Dew a "dying" franchise is joking or dumbEr...yeah...too bad I was talking about Taco Bell.

PhillySteve
11-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Fusion, I completely agree with you about Consolidated, but the fact is that corporate develops and then controls the syrup. When it comes to product development, I only wish Consolidated had some influence over that. And maybe the Mello Yello extensions were their idea, but if Coke can only say "we release new things all the time, just not where you live." I think they can do better.

As for Fanta Berry, no one is saying that it tasted like Pepsi Blue, but you can't say it wasn't an imitation.

DietCokeEnthusiast
11-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Of what? Some Fruitworks drink?

fusion
11-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Fruitworks? Ugh. I had forgotten about that swill.

Fanta Berry was pretty damn good, in my opinion. I only managed to find it once, on a road trip to northern NJ.

I'm waiting to see if Coke & CCE do anything with Fanta, now that they've killed the MM sodas, at least in the area I work in. There really needs to be a Fanta Light Orange... or would that be Fanta Orange Zero?

Coke04
11-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
There really needs to be a Fanta Light Orange... or would that be Fanta Orange Zero? No... Diet Fanta Orange Zero :D

XLS_04
11-08-2004, 08:40 PM
fusion

you mentioned in other posts Vanilla Coke is not doing too well out there, It is still selling well here, diet Vanilla Coke is doing okay but not as big of a seller as diet cherry Coke.

Minute Maid fruit soda's are still available here in all 3 flavors. I looked at the roster for C2 and found nothing about any 1.5 liter being released here anytime soon, but remember we still don't have the 13.2 oz or 12oz. available here yet either.

On a trip to Canada last month I seen 700mL Coke 6 packs which reminded me how you said they sell the 24oz. 6 packs there, How are those doing?

fusion
11-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Coke scrapped the 1.5 liter C2 (at least in the two liter markets -- I don't know about NYC). They are coming out with it in 2 liters and 12 packs. 2 liters have already been produced in Alexandria Virginia (AX).

As for the 24oz 6 packs, it is tough trying to sell both them and the 500ml 6 packs. They aren't promoted in most stores, but the retail is usually just $2.99. They are actually $1.99 in the military commissaries right now.

Our biggest customer, Giant-Landover, recently closed their back-office functions and now uses the Stop and Shop offices to do buying, ads, and so on. They used to run 24oz at 5/$10, but no more. They also used to run a thing called tri-combo, which was where 2L, 500ml 6 pack (24oz 6 pack for Pepsi), and 12 pack were all on sale at the same time. They don't do that anymore either.