PDA

View Full Version : Why some states and not others?

iluvsurge220
10-19-2005, 01:59 PM
This is mainly about Kentucky and Tennessee because these are the two states I am most familiar with but it is open to anywhere else. I don't understand why Tennessee always gets new things before Kentucky and sometimes they get stuff that Kentucky never gets. Like Mello Yello Cherry and Melon were in Tennessee 6 months to a year before they ever showed up in Kentucky and I got Mello Yello Afterglow in Tennessee once and it never came to Kentucky. Now I am hearing about Fanta Citrus and other things being in Tennessee while Kentucky has none of this stuff. Why do they only sell things in certain states. If they want to make a big profit wouldn't they want to sell their products in as many places as they could? Also, Kentucky and Tennessee are border states and its odd how they have so many more pops than Kentucky. I don't think it's fair. I shouldnt have to go all the way to Tennessee to get pops. They should be sold here. I just don't understand!!

Mr Zabe
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
My armchair guess is that it's a matter of organizing the bottlers in the regional area's.
Organizing the stock of syrup,bottles,labels so that a smooth and productive transition takes place. Scheduling production runs of a new product
requires much planing.

My guess is that the bottlers in one state require more time to prepare an updated or new brand production schedule.

Please let me know if I'm way off base.

I can strongly guess that bottlers do not try and delay the launching of a potentially hot seller.

[ 10-19-2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-19-2005, 09:35 PM
it's mainly marketing, market segmentation and cooperation from bottlers that may or may not be very good at executing on new products. some companies are and some aren't

SamC
10-19-2005, 09:47 PM
As it relates to Coca-Cola products, uppereast Tennessee and middle Tennessee are a part of the CCBCC operation out of Charlotte. A very inovative company that, it seems, KO uses to launch new products. Kentucky is mostly CCE territory.

Mello Yello Luver
10-20-2005, 05:06 AM
It all depends on what bottling teritory you live in. Coke usually lets it's bottlers choose if they want to sell a brand or not.
Example:
Coke Consolidated sells tons of Mello Yello
But CCE New York sells none at all

I know how you feal iluvsurge. If I were in charge of Coke I would sell all brands nationwide, and not just in certain regions.

[ 10-20-2005, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

Mello Yello Luver
10-20-2005, 05:22 AM
iluvsurge220, to give you a picture on how much the country is sliced up by differnt bottlers:

Tennessee
Eastern - CCE South States
Central - Coke Consolidated
Western - CCE Gulf States

Kentucky
Eastern - CCE Tri States
Western - Elizabethtown Coca Cola

fusion
10-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Actually, the divisional structure at CCE no longer exists. The company is now divided up into six business units in the US:

Northeast
Great Lakes
Southeast
Southwest
Midwest
West

Each BU has a number of MUs (Market Units) and each MU has a number of Sales Centers in it.

With this different segmentation of the market, I suspect that we will see some shifts in product availability, test marketing, and so on.

Also, in Kentucky you've also got Coke Clark in Bowling Green, and tiny indies Louisa KY and Middlesboro KY. Elizabethtown is part of Coke Ennis from Tullahoma TN.

In Tennessee, you've also got indies Union City and Pulaski, not to mention Ennis in Tullahoma and a small portion east of Union City's territory.. and Coke Weaver of Corinth MS also does a small portion of TN.

Mello Yello Luver
10-21-2005, 05:31 AM
thnx for giving me an update fusion.

fusion
10-21-2005, 09:56 PM
No problem. CCE always seems to be slow to update their site. No mention at all of this new structure, or the acquisition of Central Coke (the bottler for your area!)

Mello Yello Luver
10-22-2005, 06:46 AM
fusion, I have another question for you.
CCE Southern States (AL/TN/FL) has always sold tons of Mello Yello(and Diet). Is CCE Southern States now Southeast CCE?

And what does that mean for Mello Yello in those areas?

[ 10-22-2005, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

fusion
10-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Southeast BU consists of territory in TN, AL, MS, FL, GA, LA, AR, and a small part of southern MO.

Mello Yello should be just fine. Those are core Mello Yello areas.

I don't know the breakdown of the separate Market Units, though. I estimate there are probably 10-15 MUs in this area. But I could be wrong.

MERVERNATOR
10-27-2005, 09:29 AM
A lot of it does depend on if a bottler is owned by the corporation, or if its a privately owned franchise. this seems to be a bigger issue with Pepsi, at least around here. For instance, here in NY we cant get LiveWire. I asked a Pepsi guy when I saw him loading the coolers at a local store why this was. He informed me it was because the franchises that have all the Pepsi bottler plants in the area have contracts with Sunkist to bottle the orange soda, and Sunkist aparently doesnt want them making another orange soda in the same plant. So I have to go to NJ to get livewire now. - we got it the first summer and that was it. probably because it was only supposed to be just for those couple months. - Same with Pitch Black. we had that the first year, and now this year I have to cross to PA to get Pitch Black II. Im guessing its got something to do with Welches grape soda contracts. - Either way, it really stinks that so many places dont get to try the new items. I think this is one of the things that makes the drinks flop the fastest. They make it difficult to find the item, and then cry about poor sales.

iluvsurge220
10-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Exactly!! Make both sides happy. Make consumers happy by selling all products in as many locations as possible, and in return the companies will make more money which is just what they want to do.

MATHA531
10-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah it is a function of the local bottler who arbitrarily makes decisions.

You may know from my previous posts that I really like diet vanilla coke which is one of the better brands coke has come out with.

The coca cola bottler in NY has arbitrarily decided not to make the product (along with diet cherry) available in either 1.5 or 2 liter bottles. But there is plenty of sugar laced vanilla coke and cherry coke. They seem to have fallen in love with diet coke with slime a disgusting soda.

I s**** to coca cola in Atlanta and they said it was a local decision of just how to package products.

CC in NY whatever they are called claims that diet vanilla and diet cherry are available in fridge packs but I have hardly seen any in the NYC area. I did see a couple at a Target today in Valley Stream but it was not the week that coke cans are on sale...$4.09 for 144 ounces of coke when they should be available in 1.5 or 2 l bottles for about $2 for that amount plus the pain in the rear end the deposits are on 12 cans as opposed to 1 bottle.

I'll be in NJ tomorrow and hope I can find the fridge packs there. But I understand there is plenty of diet vanilla coke in 1.5 and 2 liter bottles available throughout a good part of the rest of the country.

[ 10-27-2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: MATHA531 ]

fusion
11-03-2005, 10:41 PM
So, did you find anything in NJ?

When I worked in northern Bergen county, I remember seeing a lot of NY plates in the parking lots of the grocery stores. Diets are really strong in most of Bergen (I also worked in the Wyckoff area, and we sold as much Diet Coke/CF Diet Coke as Coke Classic).

You might also want to consider a roadtrip to Princeton NJ if you don't luck out. That's Philadelphia Coke area, and they should have what you're looking for.

MATHA531
11-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I have found fridge packs of diet coke vanilla and diet coke cherry in:

1. A Kings frocery in Livingston, NJ

2. A Target in Valley Stream, NY (incidentally this was the week coke cans were on sale 3 for $9 so I stocked up; no diet cherry though).

3. I found fridge packs of diet coke vanilla and diet coke cherry at a Waldbaum,s along Sunrise Highway in Rockville Centre, NY.

That's about it...but given what is happening that I posted in the UK, namely the death of Vanilla Coke and Diet Coke Vanilla in the UK, can the US be far behind?

Maybe they're planning on a coke zero vanilla....

Thomas
11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know where the BU's are located?

fusion
11-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Vanilla and Diet Vanilla will be gone pretty soon, since Black Cherry Vanilla reg+diet are due out on January 2nd.

fusion
11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Northeast BU: Hawthorne NY (NYC metro)
Great Lakes BU: Cincinnati OH
Southeast BU: Atlanta GA
Midwest BU: Chicago IL
West BU: Los Angeles CA
Southwest BU: Dallas TX

[ 11-14-2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

Thomas
11-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks fusion! You mentioned Marketing Units before. What do those do and how do those affect the types of drinks you get in your area?

fusion
11-16-2005, 11:46 PM
It's too early to tell the impact of the structure change on the company.

A Market Unit consists of number of individual warehouses/sales centers in a given geographic territory.

Similarly to how the company released products based on a divisional or regional structure, the Market Unit structure would probably see things released in a similar fashion. Similar promotions in a Market Unit, due to key accounts folks, and so on. Similar packages/brands across a market unit due to the population, etc, etc. It's a way for the company to be more local than they previously were. A lot more people on the street, fewer in the divisional-type offices. Doing things the old way.

Thomas
11-17-2005, 02:18 PM
That makes sense. Wonder how that will affect things. Where are the MU's going to be located? Has CCE put that on their website?