PDA

View Full Version : Most Beverage Boring State

Vault_Dewer
09-18-2006, 04:49 PM
On many beverage forums I have heard that Ohio is the most beverage boring state. So I thought why not make a list of what all the states have. Post whatever is exclusive to a state and then I'll know why Ohio is so boring. (Living in Ohio, I don't know what many others have. :confused: )

Kentucky- Ale-8-One
North Carolina- West Jefferson Cane Sugar Bevs
Texas- Dublin Dr. Pepper

pepsipimp
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Sorry Im in Ohio too so I don't know what I'm missing either...

iluvsurge220
09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah KY has ale-8. I dont know about the most boring beverage state but I'd say the greatest beverage state would have to be Tennessee. At least of the ones I've been to.

Dr. Galaga
09-18-2006, 06:19 PM
At least by living in Ohio you can go to Jungle Jims!

fusion
09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Ohio also has the West Point Market in Akron, and Marc's (various locations).

Ohio is also home to Pepsi G&J, who still use 3x4 12 packs.

Ohio cannot be the most boring beverage state, simply because it has Jungle Jim's.

Oh, and Coke also carries/carried some things in and around Cincinnati that were hard to find elsewhere from them, like TaB fridgepacks, Mello Yello Cherry, Dasani Nutriwater and Barq's Red Creme.

[ 09-18-2006, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

hightyto
09-18-2006, 07:25 PM
im from KY, i have to say that Ale8-1 is my favorite drink in the world, you can order some wherever you live on www.ale81.com (http://www.ale81.com) if your interested in it.

Michigan is pretty boring, no mountain dew hardly at all, just the basic ones, and vault, coke, lots of diet coke, sprite. really not much here.

Dr. Galaga
09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by hightyto:
Michigan is pretty boring...really not much here. At least you can get some interesting flavors of Faygo and in glass!

Remember the old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

Only thing special in Indiana is Triple XXX Root Beer. I can imagine what people think when they drive up the hill to Purdue's campus and see a big X X X on the building! :eek: :D

Mr Zabe
09-18-2006, 08:32 PM
LOL
Good Point! LOL

hightyto
09-18-2006, 08:36 PM
lol

mjb1124
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Central New Jersey is pretty boring too.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
wisconsin is so-so. lots of indy rootbeers, and the woodmans chain, which import sodas from all around if a coustomer requests it sometimes.

Vault_Dewer
09-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey Fusion, I've gone to Marc's and didn't think they had anything exciting. (They just look like a really cheap store that has regular groceries) I didn't know that Barq's Red Creme and TaB fridgepacks were rare.
So, I've never been to West Point Market. What do they have exciting there?
Yeah, you might find it interesting to know that the Marc's in Hartville also has the Pepsi double fridgemate. (Two 12-packs taped together)

pepsipimp
09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Marc's is OK. It's not too fun to merchandise though-those stupid price guns suck and you have to mark everything!

the saint
09-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Here in Oklahoma we have................. ummm...........................well.......
.........umm let me get back to you.

Mr Zabe
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
LOL
Brings back bad memories of my many moons ago merchandising of P&G paper products.LOL I hated that damn pricing gun. LOL

[ 09-19-2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

David J.
09-19-2006, 09:00 PM
It seems California (not talking about e-drinks here), Oklahoma, Montana, Idaho, the Dakota's and New York are pretty darn boring.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by hightyto:
im from KY, i have to say that Ale8-1 is my favorite drink in the world, you can order some wherever you live on www.ale81.com (http://www.ale81.com) if your interested in it.

Michigan is pretty boring, no mountain dew hardly at all, just the basic ones, and vault, coke, lots of diet coke, sprite. really not much here. mountain dew is the number one 20oz csd in michigan. michigan's two pepsi plants in howell and detroit produce, on average, more mountain dew yearly than pepsi. including all flavor varieties. excluding diets.

michigan's a huge state for mountain dew. don't know what flavors you are missing...

the saint
09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Don't worry about what is said run, it appears they just want you to sign their petition on their website to make test market sodas nationwide and to keep limited release sodas out forever.

Not trying to flame anyone, just calling it as I see it.

fusion
09-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Vault_Dewer:

So, I've never been to West Point Market. What do they have exciting there?
I haven't been to Akron in a few years. But they had glass longneck Vernors there, and some other stuff that I had only seen at Jungle Jim's.

I'm heading out that way next month, actually.

Cheer-wined
09-19-2006, 10:59 PM
you've got an 83-year old bottling company in Wellston that still makes Ski and Double cola. Not many states can say that.

Wisconsin was pretty interesting for me. I was only in the western part (Chippewa Falls & La Crosse) a couple of weeks ago, but the variety I saw at Woodman's was insane. They had probably around 15 kinds of root beer alone, Hires, A&W, Barq’s, Dad’s, Frostop, Mug, Spring Grove, Grandpa Graf’s, Jolly Good, Sioux City, Dr. McGillicuddy’s, Sprecher, Point, Gray’s and others. A+

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
i see you have expiranced a woodmans store! thats what anyone thats not from around here says whenever they go to one, woah look at all of the stuff! lol. but you say they had dads? cool, the one down here doesnt. im going to a new one for me, the one on the west side of madison, this weekend, so i hope i find some.

Cheer-wined
09-19-2006, 11:35 PM
dad's was in 1-liter bottles from Paul's beverages. they had root beer, diet root beer and some other flavors.

Graf's and Jolly Good I didn't expect to see on the left side of WI. Actually I was surprised that the brands still exist. Graf's 50/50 was there too.

About the only brand I saw in La Crosse that Woodman's didn't have was Baumeister (Festival Foods). Too bad it was only in 12pks.

Woodman's liquor stores rocks too.

[ 09-28-2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

Mr Zabe
09-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Woodman's rocks. smile.gif
IMO it's the Midwest's best full service grocery store with an awesome soda pop section. When I shop there I usally spend a good 30 minutes gazing and reading labels. LOL

If one is ever in Chicago it is worth an hours drive to visit the Kenosha,Wisconsin Woodman's.

[ 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-20-2006, 12:59 AM
about their liquor stores, one of their locations has a liquor store that is the size of an average other brand grocery store. i cant remember where though

Cheer-wined
09-20-2006, 09:49 PM
they have great prices, best I saw of any grocery stores in MN or WI. for example it was the only place where pre-priced bottles of Frostop were marked down from .99 to .89. BTW this was the first time I saw diet Frostop and Frostop cream soda. my favorite root beer by far.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Frostop.jpg

fusion
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Same bottles as Paul's produced Dad's products. Did Paul's produce them as well?

That Creme Brulee looks very interesting.

Mr Zabe
09-20-2006, 10:18 PM
The clover Dad's I picked up a few weeks ago had the old metal crown tops.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-20-2006, 10:45 PM
the creme brulee is very good, in my expirances. also, i went to the woodmans in madison, wi on the west side, and i got some cheerwine, so i am happy.

Paul's Beverages
09-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Same bottles as Paul's produced Dad's products. Did Paul's produce them as well?
That bottle was made by Dana Plastics. We redesigned the bottle and made it about 1/8 less in diameter. This enables us to run on every valve of our filler and get some production out. Jim

jblaviback
09-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I am not a fan of Frostop. I have actually had the creme soda too. They were both overly sweet and had to much foam. Head is good, but that was like foamy junk. With all that foam you would think it has a good carbonation but it had little carbonated bite. :mad:

Cheer-wined
09-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Black Bear Bottling near Milwaukee bottles (or used to bottle?) Frostop. The code on these bottles looks like "TC", Black Bear's code is BB.

The Frostop bottles are shorter and wider than the Dad's.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Dads-Frostop.jpg

[ 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

Mr Zabe
09-23-2006, 11:48 AM
I tried Black Bear's soda pops a few months ago.
They were some of the worst soda pops I have tasted in a long time. :(

MISTICman
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Cheer-wined,
You might disagree, but I think that NC is the most boring beverage state. We have no Barq's root beer, only Crush we have in cans is orange. No Big Red. Mutual Beverages discontinued most of what it carried of Mistic (which wasn't that impressive anyway). I have to drive to VA, TN, or DC to get my favorite beverages.

David J.
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Barq's is pretty bad, so you aren't missing much. That's a plus right there!

If you don't have it there... what replaces it in the coke fountains?

Hacksaw
09-24-2006, 09:58 PM
It seems California (not talking about e-drinks here), Oklahoma, Montana, Idaho, the Dakota's and New York are pretty darn boring.
Well, if you know where to look, California is quite good. Beverages & More has like 40 varieties of soda, and they are all over metro areas of the state. Boylan's, Frostie, Dr. Brown's, Dad's, some Faygo, Gray's, Baumeister, etc., in glass. :cool:

Cost Plus, and some independant markets have some interesting stuff.

I tried Frostop, it was great. But that store can't get any more.

Also, I understand our Coke group is distributing Coke in glass from Mexico. I hope they can get Mexican Fanta Orange & Sprite on a steady basis. They are both much better than the local ones.

drpep
09-24-2006, 10:04 PM
North Carolina has Orange Crush in bottles, bought some 2 weeks ago. Sundrop Bottling in Concord produces Big Red.

[ 09-24-2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: drpep ]

hightyto
09-25-2006, 11:22 PM
well, im not seein any mountain dew besids regular and code red here in michigan.

Cheer-wined
09-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by MISTICman:
Cheer-wined,
You might disagree, but I think that NC is the most boring beverage state. We have no Barq's root beer, only Crush we have in cans is orange. No Big Red. Mutual Beverages discontinued most of what it carried of Mistic (which wasn't that impressive anyway). I have to drive to VA, TN, or DC to get my favorite beverages. Yeah I think your facts are out of whack.
There are 3 bottlers in NC that produce Big Red, Sundrop/Concord makes 2L and 20oz, IBC makes cans, DP West Jefferson bottles it in glass. I believe we've even posted the locations where you can buy it.

Crush is available in orange, diet orange, grape and strawberry in the area serviced by Sundrop of Concord. Yes, Concord in North Carolina. And last time I looked, every Wal-Mart in the universe carries Crush in the three basic flavors. Even the Wal-Marts in North Carolina!

Barq's is not easy to find in NC but I have seen it stocked in 6-packs at some Fresh Market stores in the triangle. Other stores may be able to special order it. Or you could settle for A&W made with pure cane sugar by Dr Pepper of West Jefferson (also in North Carolina), what a grim alternative, eh smile.gif

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-29-2006, 01:58 AM
about the frostop here, creme brulee is no more, now its some vanilla carmeal cream or something. i will try to get one tommorow, as i racked up 99 cents in random change on my desk, and get a pic.

upinarms
09-30-2006, 03:29 PM
new hampshire is pretty boring. although we do tend to get new beverages earlier than some parts of the country, just judging by comments on the board.

However, we have no decent soda companies. We do have Swamscott beverages, which is sort of like a Staurts old fashioned type company. They are OK. NHsoda.com is their site, I believe

jblaviback
09-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Not to be rude but Stewarts is not old fasioned, they are just wannabes. Their sodas are not even that great.

Mr Zabe
09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Ditto smile.gif

fusion
09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Some of their regional flavors aren't that bad, like their birch beer and black cherry wishniak.

Cheer-wined
10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
about the frostop here, creme brulee is no more, now its some vanilla carmeal cream or something. i will try to get one tommorow, as i racked up 99 cents in random change on my desk, and get a pic. Hey that would be interesting.
Rob have you tried Blumer's sodas? How do they compare to other WI brewery sodas like Gray's or Point?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
10-02-2006, 11:53 PM
i actually havent tried blumers. i proabaly should sometime, lol. and i have a bottle of the new frostop stuff, and in fine print it says "same great creme brulee taste!". i lost my camera, or i would get a pic.

DakotaDave
10-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
they have great prices, best I saw of any grocery stores in MN or WI. for example it was the only place where pre-priced bottles of Frostop were marked down from .99 to .89. BTW this was the first time I saw diet Frostop and Frostop cream soda. my favorite root beer by far.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Frostop.jpg Thats my favorite Root Beer and Creme Brulee soda! Never saw it before; until a month ago at one of our local Dahl's Grocery stores (supplied by Super-Valu). Everytime we do our bi-weekly grocery shopping; I pick up a bottle of Frostop Root Beer and a bottle of Creme Brulee; my wife likes the Diet Root Beer and the Creme Brulee.