PDA

View Full Version : $$$$Bong Water selling Pot smoking to kids$$$$

antenna_ball
11-14-2004, 06:39 AM
How is Bong Water allowed to name their product after an obviously drug related idea. I guess money talks and everything else walks is this what we are coming to in today's society is THE BOTTOM LINE letting things like this happen.

any comments.................................

mickstafa
11-14-2004, 12:34 PM
I don't know much about this product, and have never seen it in a store. I agree, we are stooping to low levels naming drinks suggestively like that. But I guess it is their first ammendment right to do so....

And to settle things, I see people saying that "Well Coke was so named because of the cocaine it contained back in the day." Well, that rumor is false and is an urban legend.

But I agree, products like Bong Water and Sum Poosie are a disgrace to the beverage community. Not that there is much you can do about it, other than not buying it, since it is their right to name their product whatever foolish name they can think of.

Shatter
11-14-2004, 02:43 PM
I didn't know that crap was still being made. Gimmick drinks like that don't last all that long, when people realise the drinks aren't very good, and it's not worth the price.

gecko
11-14-2004, 03:31 PM
i dont think sex is nearly as obnoxious as drug themes, but even so- just let the products fail.

its not realyl the same situation because coca cola actually had the coca leaf in their product. bong water doesnt make any sense. it has "beer extract" so it would make sense to advertise using beer themes. but it advertises using marijuana. thats just stupid.

DrPepperYummy
11-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Well I'm not sure what the bottle looks like or the general theme with the water.. but if its just called "bong water" don't assume they decided to go after a drug culture with it... check the dictionary and you'll see the first entry is not for drugs.. but a deep ringing sound such as that from a bell... in wisconsin there is "bong recreational park" a national park on the registry.. they didn't create it for drug users who camp.. just today we assume the worst first. (granted I don't think anyone can argue sum possie, but maybe bong water is going to find out people will stereotype it as a negative instead of a positive)

mickstafa
11-20-2004, 05:43 PM
But if you are marketing anything, you are well aware of any implications. Now since most people in society think "drugs" when they hear "bong" I can guarantee you that it is what they meant. It is a cheap marketing trick and of course will ultimately fail.

antenna_ball
11-20-2004, 10:28 PM
This drink can be located next to PIMP JUICE on the shelf at the local high school store. In my state these drinks are being sold at stores next to or in schools, and obviosly are targeting kids.

boodoo
11-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Obviously marketing to the "Bevis & Butthead" generation.

Acheron
11-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by boodoo:
Obviously marketing to the "Bevis & Butthead" generation. Too bad they're about ten years too late.

halloaaryn
11-24-2004, 04:10 AM
oh COME ON! "COCA-COLA" is a drug reference too.... and cocaine is WAY worse then pot.

Quit with the ultra-conservatism. Theres enough of it in Washington.

[ 11-24-2004, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: halloaaryn ]

boodoo
11-24-2004, 08:05 AM
halloaaryn,

The Coca-Cola trademark vs. Pimpjuice, Bongwater and Hemp Soda. These are virtually the same in your world?

Everything in context my friend, everything in context.

gecko
11-24-2004, 07:07 PM
its not conservatism. this is about marketing. no ones buying coca-cola because they think cocaine is cool. their not trying to get coke heads to start drinking their cola. and coca cola wasnt a drug "reference" because the coca leaf was originally used in their product.

saying a product called "bong water" is stupid isnt conservatism. it IS stupid.

mickstafa
11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
halloaaryn, please read my post again. But to save you the time, I'll re-state:

THERE WAS NEVER COCCAINE IN COCA-COLA. It is a myth. Coke was not named after the drug in any way.

There is nothing ultra conservative about what we are all saying. Cheap marketing ploys that use sex and drugs to market to immature kids are just being pointed out. Remember with this free country with free speech comes responsibility for what you say. The fine folks at "Bong Water" or "Sum Poosie" have every right to sell a drink like that, but of course you must recognize the cheapness, immaturity and sleaziness of such companies, especially when they sell such products to markets where kids frequent (such as around schools). Please be careful when you use the term conservatism. None of us are telling them it is unlawful to sell such sleaze. We are only saying it is a stupid (and alarmingly growing) marketing practice. So quit your "conservatism" by telling us to stop making our point about these crappy drinks.

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-29-2004, 05:44 PM
cocaine and the coca leaves were originally thought to have stimulating effects, and it was strictly medicinal. by naming his cola after the coca leaf, something, at the time, that was medicinal and was thought to provide energy, it was a marketing gimmick.

upinarms
11-29-2004, 08:35 PM
whats wrong with pot?

boodoo
11-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Clear mind = clear thought

upinarms
12-02-2004, 08:31 PM
i'm hungry.

MD121310
12-04-2004, 07:07 PM
yeah, that's totally stupid that they would market it (obiously) as a reference to drugs.it will just get their product pulled off of store shelves, along with pimp juice and "erektus". as for coca-cola, i have heard that it is true that it once contained cocaine but i never really beleived it. and i'm pretty sure that coca-cola has been around since waaaayy before they started calling cocaine "coke".

Icebreaker
02-07-2005, 02:29 AM
I know this thread is kinda old, but just to set the record straight Coca-Cola did at one time contain Cocaine. Read here http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

ecliptic
02-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by halloaaryn:
oh COME ON! "COCA-COLA" is a drug reference too.... and cocaine is WAY worse then pot.

Quit with the ultra-conservatism. Theres enough of it in Washington. You hippies lost the election, get over it already.

Coco Rico
02-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure if the above link clarifies this, but you should note that up until the 1920s, Cocaine was legal in the US and it was considered a medicinal stimulant. So it was not outlandish for a beverage company that began over 100 years ago to have used it as an ingredient and to brand their drink Coca Cola. (Coca for the coca leaf, and I believe cola for the african Kola nut which contains caffeine.)

If you want to get more specific, Marijuana wasn't outlawed until 1947. In both cases, Cocaine and Marijuana were not out-lawed for any medical reasons, but rather for racially motivated ones.

CR

gecko
02-09-2005, 02:41 PM
conservatism is stupid, hippies are stupid, and youre stupid.