PDA

View Full Version : bottle collectors

realthing
10-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Morning, first time caller. :D

It seems like this would be a good place to post this question. Let's say you want to display some of your Coca Cola empty bottles (foreign ones, odd size, etc.). What does everyone refill it with to simulate Coca Cola? I'm thinking some combination of food coloring. If so, what combination? If not, what other liquid will do? Thanks!!! Dave

wonkapete
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Welcome Dave! I just use Coke or an inexpensive cola. I've tried food coloring in the past and it just doesn't look right. It will lose its color after a while.

Dr. Galaga
10-20-2005, 09:00 PM
I just display mine empty!

realthing
10-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Any I have without caps will have to remain empty, but it would just seem to look better if it were "full" and had a cap. Makes it complete?

I would have thought Coke would tend to mold or something similiar over time. I'm guessing any that you have done still look good?

drpep
10-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Milk bottle collectors use styrofoam beads. I know this won't help a Coke bottle collector but I felt I needed to add my 2 cents tongue.gif

realthing
10-20-2005, 10:07 PM
And we're glad you did!

wonkapete
10-20-2005, 11:00 PM
No, it won't get moldy unless the cap isn't sealed good. If you are talking about crown tops, make sure you have a good capper. If you have twist tops, it may be difficult to get it air tight. But I have a few that I capped 15 yrs ago that still are fine. No mold whatsoever.

I have an orginal coke bottle from around 1910 that is still sealed and not moldy. Just doesn't have much fizz. That's all.

fusion
10-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Now that's cool. I thought I had a big find when I bought one off Ebay from 1971 that was full.

realthing
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Wonkapete, I can't imagine that your original 1910 WOULD'VE had a mold problem, being that it were still sealed. My thought was something that was to be re-sealed, and like you said just try and make it as tight as you can.

This would not happen with glass, but my related thought was that doesn't coke eventually (15-20 yrs?) eat through a can?? Isn't this why some people drain a collectible one from the bottom?

Off topic. Drpep, seeing your avatar reminds me of the "what's your age" thread I noticed some time back. I remember those 10-2-4 bottles, and also feel like a minority old-timer on this board at 45, just like hacksaw, boodoo, and mr zade.

ramonazo
10-21-2005, 10:43 AM
I remember I had a big problem filling some Coke bottles of my collection... specially trying to close them, because always the cap doesn't close well, and in some bottles (specially old ones) I filled them with Coke and a strange yellow thing appeared at the neck of the bottle. YUCK!

BTW I have some PET foreign bottles: one of 500 ml from France, one of 500 ml from Spain, one of 500 ml from UK, two 20 oz. from Canada: Vanilla Coke and Coca-Cola Classic (or Classique), and of course, some 20 oz. Coca-Cola Classic from U.S., the last one I have it in my bedroom, but the first three are kept in a box...D'oh!

[ 10-21-2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

wonkapete
10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Yea, the cans are strange beasts. I have some from the 1960s that are still full and haven't leaked. However, I have some just from like 10yrs ago that have leaked out already. So, yes, they most likely will leak over time but not always. It's usually best to drain them but I don't always. Sometimes they just evaporate and there's no mess. But, I'm not always that lucky.