PDA

View Full Version : Coca Cola High Profits

Mr Zabe
10-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Coca Cola Profits (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EARNS_COCA_COLA?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2005-10-20-10-18-30)

Coca Cola has a very healthy bottom line. smile.gif

[ 02-23-2006, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Really good news to start the day!

Congratulations The Coca-Cola Company for your 37% profit increase in the 3Q!!!

[ 10-20-2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

the saint
10-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Dang man! you start the day at 12:26??? I think there needs to be a congressional investigation on cokes price gouging, much like the oil companies. tongue.gif

[ 10-20-2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

JACK
10-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Price goughing at the pumps yes...in the soda aisle...I dont think so.

While you are at it, lets talk about fountain price gouging by most restaurants. $1.99 for a 16oz. drinks that they have about $.08 per drink in...

Mr Zabe
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Profit center to offset the low margins for the food served.

ramonazo
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by the saint:
Dang man! you start the day at 12:26??? I think there needs to be a congressional investigation on cokes price gouging, much like the oil companies. tongue.gif Saint... I saw the note hours ago before the posting, also you should consider that I'm in the center of Mexico, so I posted it at 11:26, that I posted it at that hour doesn't mean that I saw the note in that hour or that I'm a lazy guy who wakes up at 12:00 everyday, actually I wake up at 7:00 am... just I posted in that hour because Mr. Z posted the topic a few minutes before so I posted my reply, that's all...

Investigation to Coca-Cola for price gouging? what are you talking about?, do you want to see a real price gouging? come to Mexico and see the gasoline prices at PEMEX gas stations!

[ 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
10-20-2005, 07:45 PM
MrR,
I think Saint was just sharing his dry humor with us. It took me awhile to enjoy his style of humor. We all know that you are not in the least bit lazy. A little goofy but aren't we all. LOL

I don't think Saint was serious about the hours you keep. smile.gif Hang in there Mr.Coke :D

Zabe

ramonazo
10-20-2005, 09:05 PM
You're right, I overreacted a little...

SamC
10-20-2005, 10:06 PM
However, KO closed today at about $42. It was well over $60 six years ago and had thus lost about 1/3rd of its value, while the broad stock market has moved steadly forward.

The stock needs a lot of quarters to get over the damage that Buffett has done to the company.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
However, KO closed today at about $42. It was well over $60 six years ago and had thus lost about 1/3rd of its value, while the broad stock market has moved steadly forward.

The stock needs a lot of quarters to get over the damage that Buffett has done to the company. i know this only too well, as i bought at around $52-3. coke shows me a dead company time and time again, but that pepsico stock i own sure is great

ramonazo
10-21-2005, 12:02 AM
The stock needs a lot of quarters to get over the damage that Buffett has done to the company. That old man always appeared at the end of the annual reports with a Cherry Coke bottle in his hands... maybe its his favorite.

realthing
10-21-2005, 11:29 AM
It supposedly IS his favorite. He is supposed to be a "Sam Waltonish" kind of guy, in terms of being laid back and appreciating simple things. I've seen it written several times that his favorite meal is a cheeseburger and a Cherry Coke.

JACK
10-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Interesting how the Motley fool keeps pushing the KO stock. Buffett likes his cherry cokes with his DQ Burger...a burger that he they have about $0.30 in...Burger guys make money selling soft drinks and fries...

Coke stock...

Mello Yello Luver
10-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Mayby I should buy some Coke stock when Vault comes out. That would be a smart buy, I think.

SamC
10-22-2005, 08:48 AM
As it relates to the stock market, IMHO.

KO was puffed up by Buffett, who striped the company of its long term profitablity with short term decisions.

Neither KO nor PEP are much affected by a single launch of a flavor product in a country, even the USA, because of the worldwide nature of their operations. The best way to play a flavor launch is to play bottlers like CCE, COKE, AKOA, KOF, PBG, etc.

KO and PEP are very different stocks. KO is Coca-Cola. It makes Coke and Coke flavors and that is it, other than the pretty small Minute Maid juices, which they now only markets (Buffett having sold the farms in the 90s) not produces. PEP 's largest division is not Pepsi, its Frito-Lay. Spun off from PEP, Frito-Lay, Quaker, and Tropicana would be a massively successful corporation. PEP is actually held down by its namesake product.

Buffett is now doing the same thing to Dairy Queen as he did to KO, but, since B-H owns all of DQ (it owns less than 10% of KO) it doesn't matter except to his own small group of stockholders.

ramonazo
10-27-2005, 12:28 PM
And talking about profits:

Coke Consolidated goes up...
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-26-2005/0004195667&EDATE=

and CCE goes down...
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2005/10/24/daily34.html

ramonazo
02-21-2006, 06:11 PM
The stock needs a lot of quarters to get over the damage that Buffett has done to the company. I saw in a news article that Warren Buffett is the responsible of letting Pepsi to acquire Gatorade and Quaker Oats... can somebody explain me that?

SamC
02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Ramón Coca-Colero:
I saw in a news article that Warren Buffett is the responsible of letting Pepsi to acquire Gatorade and Quaker Oats... can somebody explain me that? Sure. Gatorade went through several hands, ended up as a part of Quaker Qats. It really was worth more than the rest of the company. Company was looking to sell itself to a bigger food company as there were many mega-mergers in the food business in the late 90s and early 00s.

So KO's president at the time made a handshake deal to buy Quaker. The two CEOs were even photographed together for the public announcement. All that was required was the, usually rubber stamped, approval of the KO Board of Directors.

Buffett killed the deal. Within 24 hours PEP merged with Quaker. KO's CEO was humiliated and quitely left the company within 6 months.

BTW, PEP has now owned Quaker for longer than the two years required under US tax laws. It has stripped off Gatorade and some Quaker snack foods and can sell the remnant cereal business at a profit.

popologist
02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
most people agree that Buffet was wrong in that decision. gatorade has made pepsi A LOT of money.

golee1
02-23-2006, 02:09 AM
I think Buffett and the rest of the board have too much faith in CSD's. Hell Ivester had a lot trouble getting them to believe in Dasani, and look how much of that Coca-Cola sells now.

ramonazo
02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
SamC is right, Buffett has made a great damage to The Coca-Cola Company, and IMO the denial of acquiring Gatorade and Quaker Oats was the biggest K.O. that Buffett gave to KO...

popologist
02-23-2006, 02:14 PM
well, even the greatest are wrong sometimes.

but, clearly, coke has missed some opportunities over the last decade.

it seems they're FINALLY turning that around, but... in the non-carbonated beverage category, it will be a few years (or more) before they catch pepsico.

most of coke's products are new entries (i.e. dasani, powerade, coke zero, vault), and it takes time (and money) to build a new brand.

supposedly, they're looking to buy some things. we'll see what develops. redbull seems like it would be a worthwhile purchase... although coke's own brands are gaining fast already.

CStoreCatMan
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Very true Popologist. Coke is finally headed in the right direction by putting some focus on its non carb portfolio. But to your point...it will take quite a while to even compete with the PepsiCo non carb giant.

jmyjunk
02-24-2006, 07:42 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by the saint:
Dang man! you start the day at 12:26??? I think there needs to be a congressional investigation on cokes price gouging, much like the oil companies. tongue.gif [/QUOTE]

Really?

I've been an avid Coke watcher, ever since I started collecting cans in 1990.
The average price of a can of Coke really hasn't gone up with the cost of living.
In 1990, I remember a can of coke (12oz from a machine) going anywhere from 40 cents to 60 cents.
in 2006 I can still find machines that sell coke cans from 50cents to 75 cents. With most being 50 or 60 cents.
Then the 2 liters. 99 cents in most cases. Though this is a sale price, the regular price is about 1.29. But who ever really pays for that.
Where the soda companies get us is in the 20oz plastic bottles at 1.29, 8oz can six pack cans at $1.99.
No, I don't think the soda companies are gouging us for soda. If we know how to shop for it, the price is cheap, and has always been.
They are getting us for the convenience factors, and that is where they are sticking it to us.
:cool:

the saint
02-24-2006, 11:29 PM
UUUMM that was sarcasm from like 4 months ago. It was in response to something else that was going on at the time. I am full well aware that neither Pepsi or coke are price gouging, trust me my paychecks haven't really went up any in the last 15 years. If people would be willing to pay more for soda rather than it becoming a commodity such as milk and bread I might get a raise HEHE.
The quote was because of the uproar in the news about EXXONMOBIL making 35,000,000,000 in profits. Which by the way is only roughly 10% of what they had in sales, most companies cannot survive on 10% profit but everyone wanted to complain about the gas companies price gouging.