PDA

View Full Version : Minutemaid "Orangeade" is BACK.

popologist
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
i hope this isn't old news, but i was at the store today and saw Minutemaid Orangeade right next to Fanta Orange. I saw it in 1.5 liter and 12-pack cans. The packaging was bright orange (brighter than Fanta) and it said "made with real juice".

Fanta seemed to just be catching on. It cracked the Top Ten sodas last year... so why do you think they're bringing back a competing product?

Mr Zabe
09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Why....because Fanta Orange..IMO bites the big one. IMO...Fanta Orange does not even make it on my C List. :(

CStoreCatMan
09-21-2006, 01:48 PM
And those Fanta commercials are just annoying!

golee1
09-21-2006, 02:03 PM
I don't think it's supposed to be a competing product, since Fanta is carbonated and Minute Maid is not.

CStoreCatMan
09-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
Fanta seemed to just be catching on. It cracked the Top Ten sodas last year... so why do you think they're bringing back a competing product? Fanta cracked the top ten? I haven't seen or heard anything to that respect. In SoCal, the ENTIRE Fanta line has lower market share than Sunkist Orange alone. And golee is correct in saying Fanta and Minute Maid are not meant to be competing brands as one is a CSD and one a NCB. But doesn't make much sense to merchandise them right next to each other...

[ 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

popologist
09-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Top 10 Sodas of 2005:

Coke Classic 17.6%
Pepsi 11.2%
Diet Coke 9.8%
Mt Dew 6.5%
Diet Pepsi 6.0%
Sprite 5.7%
Dr Pepper 5.7%
Fanta 1.7%
Caff-free Diet Coke 1.5%
Sierra Mist 1.4%
Diet Mt Dew 1.4%

(Coke Zero was estimated at around 1% its 1st year)

Mr Zabe
09-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Fanta....1.7% of which flavor. IMO....I do not beleive that this number reflects the actual market condition. Just the posters on this board (who keep good watch of local markets) have said that Fanta is a NON player in their markets.

Sounds like the sample or the survey is way off base?

[ 09-21-2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

David J.
09-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Fanta? What's Fanta? Really... Fanta Orange just sits around on the shelves. And the Grape is pretty scarce.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Here in Mexico, Fanta is the No. 1 orange soda in the country... and probably around the 4th or 5th place of the top ten... and here in my city the strawberry, tamarind and tutti-frutti flavors are selling pretty well... and in my area just arrived a few weeks ago the new 1-Liter Fanta Orange smile.gif

And for limited time, Coca-Cola released a blueberry-orange version of Fanta called "Fanta Surfer"... but only it's available in some cities... unfortunately it haven't arrived at my city :(

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9766/fantasurferht0.jpg

[ 09-21-2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

popologist
09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Fanta....1.7% of which flavor. IMO....I do not beleive that this number reflects the actual market condition. Just the posters on this board (who keep good watch of local markets) have said that Fanta is a NON player in their markets.

Sounds like the sample or the survey is way off base? that ranking isn't a "sample"... it's based on actual case sales.

it didn't specify which flavor of fanta.

i would add, though, that i believe fanta sells well in areas with lots of latinos (i'm not sure why this is) and, that, i believe it has replaced the old minutemaid orange in soda fountains and restaurants... which could easily account for that 1.7%

before coke cancelled minutemaid orange, minutemaid often appeared in the Top Ten... usually at #10, with about 1.4%. so the Fanta # isn't that far off. smile.gif

fusion
09-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Ramon pretty much answered that in the post before yours. Fanta has been a very strong brand outside of the US, and a good bit of the US numbers come from that brand recognition, I'm sure.

The market share represented by Fanta in that 2005 data is mostly Orange. It's available in almost every market, and in a wide variety of packages. Grape would be #2, probably followed by Strawberry, Pineapple, and then the other smaller flavors.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-22-2006, 12:27 AM
That's very true fusion, I think that's because Fanta has been here for a long time and also in another countries... while in U.S. Fanta was replaced for Minute Maid Soda during several years...

I tried the american Fanta Grape and is pretty good! smile.gif

CStoreCatMan
09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I would guess that Fanta number represents the entire brand (all flavors) in the US...not just one flavor like Orange. Like Zabe said, I know I'm not the only one who has said Fanta isn't strong in my part of the country...

sirslash
09-26-2006, 01:34 AM
yeah pepsi did the same thing
took a well known product of the shelf and brought us a unheard of product...

tropicana twister stinks
Fanta stinks

Slice was good and so was minute maid..
i never liked sunkist... so basiclly i don't drink orange pop anymore

any way as far as orangeade, reminds me of a Fruitopia flavor

[ 09-26-2006, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: sirslash ]

pepsipimp
09-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I was just thinking about this today while writing an order atWal-Mart. I MIGHT order Tropicana Twister once a week maybe 4-8 cases which is nothing like Slice used to do. I still don't understand that blunder. We only have Orange Twister here.

Mr Zabe
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
IMO...Tropicana Twister flavors are just average tasting to the mass public. IMO...I have tasted all the flavors;they just are not that impressive. They tast more like HFCS with flavoring than flavoring with HFCS.

Slice IMO had more "popping" flavor notes.
I enjoyed orange and lemon lime,they were in my
usual line up when they were on sale.

[ 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fixman88
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't care much for the Orangade flavor. It tastes strange to me, like a combination of Orange and something I can't identify. I wish they would bring back Mandarin Orange Slice... :(

CStoreCatMan
09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Hmm..interesting signature there...

But calling Coke Blak anything "of the Gods" is just insulting to which ever Gods you worship!! LOL

[ 09-27-2006, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

Mr Zabe
09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
CStoreCatMan.....Amen Brother LOLOLOLOL

David J.
09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Fanta Orange makes a decent Icee flavor... not the best but it was worth the $.74 cents I spent on it today.