PDA

View Full Version : Coke in glass

Mr Nethead
10-24-2005, 06:13 PM
I stopped off at Citgo on my way home from work to grab a beverage today. I noticed they were selling Coke and Coke Zero in 11.8 ounce glass bottles! I grabbed a couple Cokes. (It's real tasty in glass) Oddly enough, they have the standard plastic caps that are used on normal bottles, which look kind of strange on glass.

Dr. Galaga
10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Which part of the state are you in?

Mr Nethead
10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
40 miles north of Madison.

Mr Nethead
10-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Here's a picture if anyone is interested. http://mr-nethead.com/images/cokeinglass.jpg

fusion
10-24-2005, 08:39 PM
All-American Bottling uses plastic caps on their longnecks as well.

Who's producing these glass Cokes? (production code on neck of bottle)

Mr Nethead
10-24-2005, 10:33 PM
You'll have to forgive me, I'm not sure what the codes mean. However, it says on the bottle

JUN1906MREDHI1
WV2/DEL5¢DEP

I gather the "JUN1906" part is the expiration date. The stuff on the second line appears to be related to deposits. So the code must be MREDHI1. Now if only I knew what that meant. lol

ramonazo
10-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Looks like the mexican 500 ml Coca-Cola glass bottle that is on sale in Guadalajara and Torreon... and that once upon a time was on sale in Aguascalientes until the release of the 600 ml PET bottle. I prefer the 600 ml bottle.
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/6119/1a19lt.jpg

[ 10-25-2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

jmyjunk
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Nice pics.

Those are not the 8oz hobble skirt bottles.
Which I am wondering why the stopped making them with the impossed script,and now back to a red design like wha tis see in the pics. (No more city names on the bottom as well)

BottleBoss
10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
They look like the glass bottles they had in supermarkets in The Maya Riviera ? in Mexico. So who is doing those here?

fusion
10-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Nethead:
You'll have to forgive me, I'm not sure what the codes mean. However, it says on the bottle

JUN1906MREDHI1
WV2/DEL5¢DEP

I gather the "JUN1906" part is the expiration date. The stuff on the second line appears to be related to deposits. So the code must be MREDHI1. Now if only I knew what that meant. lol MR is Marietta, Georgia. E is Friday. Not sure what the D means, though.

DEL5¢DEP is the 5 cent deposit that Delaware charges on soda and beer bottles (plastic and glass) smaller than 2 quarts (64oz).

Hawaii also has a 5 cent deposit law.

WV2 is an excise tax that the distributor pays to the state.

I am actually surprised Marietta is producing this size bottle. I had actually expected that they were coming from Bink's in Escanaba. Marietta produces most of the glass that is sold by CCE in Maryland and southward. North of that, glass mostly comes from Needham Heights MA.

Glass is also ran in Union City TN (Union City Coke) and Baton Rouge LA (Coke United).

Mr Nethead
10-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Wow! I had no idea that Coke came all the way from Georgia. I think it's some sort of special promotion because there was a sticker on the cooler that said "Try it in glass" or something like that and featured a bottle of Coke Zero. I really like the bottles... wish I could get them all the time.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-26-2005, 09:40 AM
all coke glass 8oz in michigan was HO, now MR. even dr pepper, barq's, sprite.

deli bottles come from HO

Mr Zabe
10-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I said this about a month ago, at least in the North Shore of Chicago, I see more and more glass being sold in my regular grocery stores.

Last Saturday I saw at Jewel, a good 6 feet of 5 shelves of all kinds of glass besides Coke products. I can't recall the various brands. I know I did not see Jones. LMAO

I would guess that there were 4 small brands plus Coke. I as most of you know am not a big glass man. LOL I will say that if I was a glass man, I would be most optimistic in the future of glass expanding in grocery stores.

BottleBoss
11-01-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm a glass man. I wish more would show up around here!