PDA

View Full Version : so whats the new pepsi wild cherry taste like?

Robot
12-15-2004, 01:32 AM
noticed the new logo and it said they had reformulated it right on the box "GREAT NEW TASTE!"

so, whats the difference? anyoen try it yet?

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-15-2004, 02:07 AM
why didn't you try it?

Robot
12-15-2004, 08:21 AM
didnt feel like buying a 24 pack of soda just to try 1 can.

they didnt have it in any other packaging.

drpep
12-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Didn't you buy a couple 12 packs of 7UP Plus to try one can??

Android
12-15-2004, 12:13 PM
haven't noticed any new logo or forumula around here yet. Cherry Pepsi is about the only non-diet product that Pepsi sells that I'll venture to drink anymore, so I wonder if they ruined it, probably....

andy

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-16-2004, 09:16 PM
yeah i haven't noticed anything either. bizarro

Robot
12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
its weird i hit a couple other stores and they didnt have it yet.. so far only been to 1 store that had them out.

no i bought one 12 pack of 7up plus to try it out, and it was a diet, so even ifi didnt like it, i could force myself through a pack or eventually finish it..

i dont drink regular soda except on rare occasions.. so i definately wouldnt have dranken a 24pack ever.

Drink
12-17-2004, 02:16 AM
I used to drink sugar free sodas but now theres just so many good ones with sugar/carbs/cals like Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper is great and I can't stop drinking Coca-Cola Classic.

teamtitan512
12-17-2004, 02:37 AM
A new Wild Cherry Pepsi? What's the new logo look like? If anything, they certainly did need a new taste w/that sludge.

Drink
12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Okay well I know it's early but I just tried Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper and it's somewhat close but not as good.

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-19-2004, 06:36 PM
just seeing logos out now in michigan

XLS_04
12-19-2004, 10:44 PM
still no sign of it here yet.

KanKing
12-21-2004, 09:17 AM
It is here in Maryland. I tried it a few days ago. I thought it had an odd cherry type taste to it. A the time I didn't think it was great. I suppose I will try it again and leave a revue. I still think the Coke version is better.

halloaaryn
12-27-2004, 12:49 PM
I cant believe no ones posted a pic of it yet.

http://www.geocities.com/halloaaryn/wc.txt

Anyway, it has a WAY better flavour now. Less sweet and has more bite and more of a defined cherry flavour. I love it!

KanKing
12-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Anyway, I tried another bottle of it. Not bad, I liked it better before though. It defenitly has a peculiar cherry taste to it that is different than its Coke counterpart.

Android
12-27-2004, 02:18 PM
I spotted some down in Colorado yesterday - I bought a 12pk of regular and diet, didn't think either of them were that impressive. I don't know if I'd say if it's any better or worse than the old stuff, just different.

The Pepsi bottler up here in Wyoming moves their stock slowly so I bet we'll get to keep the old Cherry Pepsi for a while. (heck, they must have overproduced Pitch Black last fall, because I still see that stuff everywhere)

andy

Drink
12-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I think it's very odd for pepsi to do this right after Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper is launched!

XLS_04
12-28-2004, 03:13 AM
I like the new graphics ALOT better. I will try this once it finally shows up in the stores here.

Acheron
12-28-2004, 08:06 AM
It doesn't surprise me that they updated the graphics - the old design felt a little too '90s' to me. The kind of consistency this achieves also serves to strengthen the Pepsi/Diet Pepsi brands as a whole - emphasizing the greater brand name over the individual extension, much like how the various extensions of the Coke brand all pretty much look similar nowadays.

As for the flavor - it doesn't really seem to be that big of an improvement to me - just enough of a tweak to the formula that they can justify reintroducing it to drive sales.

turdferguson
12-28-2004, 10:07 AM
like it matters............

teamtitan512
12-29-2004, 04:15 AM
Pepsi will use this launch of a new Wild Cherry Pepsi to say they can't put any money behind Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper in their Pepper markets so that it will effectively kill Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper off, just like Red Fusion, which they used Pepsi Blue for at the same time.

Pepsi just seems inclined to try making Dr Pepper extensions unsuccessful. It's interesting they have something to unveil right at the time when Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper is starting to appear. Coke hasn't been at fault w/CV DP, they're the only ones even making it here yet (Diet at that).

Drink
12-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Uggg it makes me mad when pepsi dose stuff like this! Infact I love it that Coca-Cola bottles it here. and Really Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper lots alot better in Coca-Cola's bottle

fusion
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Simple solution:

Yank Pepper from PBG and the other uncooperative Pepsi bottlers. Give it to the smaller DPSU bottlers, or Coke bottlers, if they have to.

bigrich
12-29-2004, 10:31 PM
DPSU should yank outside DR Pepper franchise rights and put it in-house. DPSU's competion is not going to do with it what DPSU could do itself. I don't want to see DR Pepper taken fro Pepsi and handed to Coke. If that were to happen it would kill Pibb. I like Pibb better.

teamtitan512
12-30-2004, 12:55 AM
I don't see any reason keeping it as Pepsi. They seemed destined for its failure, and they're simply waiting until the time comes that they find their Sierra Mist as a Pepper-clone (and somewhere in NY they are planning the formula). Pepsi where they have it doesn't manage it well, have limited selection, don't carry anything beyond regular and diet, and have less shelf space than some secondary brands. They won't put in vending because it might take away from other great-tasting Pepsi products that are oh-so-popular like Diet Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist Free, Slice, Mug, and Wild Cherry Pepsi.

fusion
12-30-2004, 02:09 AM
I only said Coke as a last resort, because in some areas the 3rds and 4ths are just too weak to compete with the big two.

I live in a strong 3rd tier area, with multiple divisions of Honickman, RC Winchester, and Davis all as powerful DPSU bottlers. They can afford to pay the slotting fees, price for shelf space, display racks, etc.

If a weak bottler was to pick up a strong brand like Pepper, they could effectively be squeezed out, unless DPSU threw them some $$$.

Also, in the area I live in, Pepper is either Coke (Philadelphia or Abarta) or Pepsi (PBG, indie, PBV). Coke does a much better job with it, although Abarta just runs reg & diet. Philly really does it all right, and it's up to 10% of their total business. It's on every display, in every cooler, and so on. They've also got 8oz glass commemorative Army/Navy bottles out right now.

Not to mention that it just looks better in the angle bottle vs. the swirl.

teamtitan512
01-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Thing is RC Winchester has it in all the territory they send product to...except Allegany County. We get cheated, and get it from wonderful PBG-Johnstown, who sometimes doesn't remember they even have Pepper.

I can find it easily from third-tier, Coke, or Pepsi in my area that I'm in. I've seen Pepsi mismanage a great selling drink, Coke does much better than Pepsi. However, third-tier holds it better than anyone. For anyone familiar w/RC Winchester, you have to agree they do an excellent job pushing their products.

No Soda
02-09-2005, 09:52 PM
A great product made even better. We have it in Connecticut in 12-packs, 2L, and some places (Wal-Mart, Shaw's) have these promotional bins loaded with 12-oz PET bottles of the regular and diet.

teamtitan512
02-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Tried it here last weekend. My question is Where's the cherry?

Didn't taste like anything but slightly more carbonated Pepsi. It tasted a lot like Holiday Spice w/o the Cinnamon. Chalk another sensation up for the folks in Johnstown. Very few of their products taste good.

ecliptic
02-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Say what?

I barely noticed the difference from the original Wild Cherry.

Tannerman
02-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I like it much better than the old formula. Stronger cherry taste is a big improvement.

teamtitan512
02-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Must be a major problem w/formula. Here it's Pepsi bottled under a different name. There's no cherry flavor at all.

Android
02-12-2005, 06:11 AM
I bet you're right about your local bottler messing up the formula, I've tried both the Diet and normal wild cherry from the Denver bottler and they both have a stronger cherry taste than before.

andy

USF SPAMMER 1
02-12-2005, 04:31 PM
It tastes like cough medicine with a Halls aftertaste.

teamtitan512
02-14-2005, 12:24 AM
No surprise: Johnstown messes up the formula on everything. The thing is Baltimore, IMO, is even worse.

fusion
02-14-2005, 01:21 PM
You can definitely taste the difference in Dr Pepper.. Philadelphia Coke produces a good bottle of it.. PBG Baltimore's version is mediocre. I once had a bottle somewhere in North Carolina from a Pepsi bottler. I had to spit it out, it tasted so bad.

RC Winchester also seems to do a fair job if it. I had a bottle of their DCV last week. Not bad. Now if they'd only produce CV, I'd be happy.

teamtitan512
02-15-2005, 01:18 AM
I have no clue whether RC-W is doing CVDP in the future. Odds of logic tell me they will as they're favorable to doing the whole line, but who knows.

RC-W does make a better product than ABC, and PBG makes a crappy product all around in the Mid-Atlantic.