PDA

View Full Version : Roy Rogers fountain selection

fusion
02-25-2006, 11:25 PM
I had posted about this Roy Rogers (in Frederick MD - Route 40 @ McCain Drive) before. This time, I brought my camera inside to take a picture of the fountain setup.

What a selection!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/royrogers.jpg

[ 02-26-2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

jblaviback
02-26-2006, 04:57 AM
What kind of Fanta is that?

fusion
02-26-2006, 10:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/fantabirch.jpg

Mr Zabe
02-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Is that Fanta Grape I see?
Very cool soda fountain. How does the Birch Beer taste? It's also nice to see Cherry Coke. smile.gif

mjb1124
02-26-2006, 01:50 PM
I miss Roy Rogers. They mostly backed out of my area a while ago, although I think there are a few locations left in the rest stops on the NJ Turnpike. The only time I get to have Roy's now is when I go on the bus to/from Boston - they usually stop at one somewhere in Connecticut.

The Fuddruckers in my area used to have a similarly good selection of Coke products (they switched to Pepsi now). No PiBB, but they did have Fanta Grape and Orange, Cherry Coke, and Caffeine Free Diet Coke. They also had (and still have) three types of Boylan's birch beer on tap (regular, diet, and creamy red).

[ 02-26-2006, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: mikibacsi1124 ]

fusion
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, that is Fanta Grape. Seems odd that they have Fanta Grape, but Minute Maid Orange.

The birch beer is excellent - that's what I always get.

This location is their "home store" - it's located right next to the corporate HQ. The franchisee in that area bought out the rights to the brand from the Canadian company that previously owned Hardees and Roy's.

01GTB
02-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Oh man...Roy Rogers! I haven't eaten in one of those, well, since they closed ours down :eek: We used to have a few in the Orlando area. The one on Lee Road in Winter Park was our regular place though. When I was a kid, my family would find some excuse to load up and head over that way just to eat there. They had a thing called the "buckaroo club" or something for kids. Not a whole long time ago, I ran into someone at a party that brought it up. This person had been friends with my little girlfriend that lived across the street and she had told her about the buckaroo club from 25 years before :D I had forgotten all about it.

Actually, I did eat at one in the DC area after they closed ours down, but we are still talking maybe 1984 here :eek: From what I remember, it was quite a bit different from what we had here. It looked more like a standard restaurant. Ours looked like a barn with windows. It had a big neon sign that looked like a wagon.

[ 02-27-2006, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

SplitLevelP
02-27-2006, 09:53 AM
we have a roy rogers on the NYS Thruway.those are the only ones left around anymore the off road ones closed in the late 80's and early 90's

the saint
02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
what type exactly of food does Roy Rogers sell. There used to be RR here probably 25 years ago, but i do not remember the food they sold. Arbys took over all the locations, they closed a few but most are still Arbys.

JACK
02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Double R burger...1/3 lb burger with some ham on a buttered bun.

Saint, the closest thing you have is the new Freddies in Enid...

ramonazo
02-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I saw that fountain machine and a tear came out of my eye... it reminded me my days in U.S.

01GTB
02-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Their roast beef sandwiches used to be killer. I don't know how they are now. Same for the burgers. I think they had fried chicken as well. I remember, their was a real manager on duty all the time. And he or she was right behind the counter with the other employee or two.

mjb1124
02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Yes, that is Fanta Grape. Seems odd that they have Fanta Grape, but Minute Maid Orange.They probably have Fanta Orange, but just never changed the label. :D

BATBL18
02-27-2006, 06:57 PM
I know of one in CT that i've been to and they have Grilled Chicken, Burgers, Roast Beef, Fried Chicken, Philly Cheese Steak, and Fish fillet. For sides they had fries, chili, soup, baked potato, mashed potato, cole slaw, baked beans, mac and cheese, biscuits, and salads.

fusion
02-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Here is their website, and there are links to the menus.

http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/

Mr Zabe
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Are you trying to kill me? LOL
The food on the menu looks so good.
(Is it obvious I'm a fast food addict? LOL )

[ 02-27-2006, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

BottleBoss
02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
They have a lot. But what you, and everyone else, really wants is the Birch Beer.

the saint
02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
man that stuff looks good. Unfortunatly I am about roy rogers as zabe is about sonic, way too far for a roadtrip. LOL

Mr Zabe
02-28-2006, 07:33 PM
So true it hurts to laugh. LOL

01GTB
02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
This thread came three months too late. When I went up to ride on the C&O towpath last November, I would have been relatively close to the Roy Rogers in Brunswick, MD. Have to make a note of that for next time smile.gif

mjb1124
02-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Upon looking at that site, it appears there's only one freestanding location left in New Jersey, and it's fifty miles south of me. Then there's one in a mall, and the others are in rest stops.

ramonazo
02-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Here is their website, and there are links to the menus.

http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/ I want to kill myself!!! :D

OMG! Man, I miss so much the great taste and smell of the american fast food!

BATBL18
02-28-2006, 08:55 PM
At least there are Sonic's in Illinois, there are none even near the northeast. The closest ones to Connecticut are in Virginia and Ohio!

jmyjunk
02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I have to say, hand down, Jack in the Box is the best fast food out there. Sadly,they pulled out of Colorado years ago.
So, the only time I have it is when I am home in St Louis, or out west. Which is good for me, as I don't eat fast food while I am here.

Mr Zabe
02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I remember as a little kid, my Dad took me to a Jack in the Box for lunch. I nearly hoped out of the car when that silly clown speaker asked for our order.LOL I do recall that they had a burger that was similar to the Big Mac. YUM To bad that Jack in the Box closed all their Chi Town restaurant moons ago.

[ 02-28-2006, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

the saint
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I haven't had Jack in the box in years. Last time I ate there I was in south Texas for something or another with my ex-wife. I could never eat there again it brings back bad memories, LOL j/k. seriously I would eat there if they were around here. I like JITB.

jmyjunk
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Saint,

There are 3 locations of JITB in OK.
Though, don't know how far they are from you.

(From their website)
1501 N COUNTRY CLUB DR
ADA, OK 74820
(580) 421-9695

Jack in the Box
1036 W BROADWAY
ARDMORE, OK 73401
(580) 223-1886

Jack in the Box
2117 W MAIN ST
DURANT, OK 74701
(580) 931-3502

BATBL18
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
From Google Local:

74820 to Norman, OK Distance: 74.8 mi (about 1 hour 55 mins)
73401 to Norman, OK Distance: 82.7 mi (about 1 hour 26 mins)
74701 to Norman, OK Distance: 133 mi (about 2 hours 39 mins)

CStoreCatMan
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by JACK:
Double R burger...1/3 lb burger with some ham on a buttered bun.Sounds like a heart attack in the making!! Geez...they even put BUTTER on the bun?!? Maybe thats a midwest thing...

Mr Zabe
03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Culverts is some what new to the Chicago area. Their claim to fame is the Butter Burger. It's a greasy fried burger with the works and a big smear of fresh butter on the top bun.

I love fried burgers but this was just way to much of an assault to my taste buds. Not even the Cherry Pepsi I had with it could help. I was so grossed out that the thought of going back to try another menu item makes me sick.

IMO...butter on a burger is unnatural. :(

CStoreCatMan
03-03-2006, 06:09 PM
That is gross. That much grease would make me physically ill. Has to be a regional thing...I've lived in SoCal my whole life and have NEVER heard of putting butter on a burger. Maybe the burgers out there are crap and need the help! LOL. The best burgers here (IMO) would come from In & Out or Fatburger.

Mr Nethead
03-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I love Culver's. lol The top bun is sort of toasted in butter, and sometimes the grease is worse than others depending on who made it. tongue.gif Once I had a burger there that I could barely eat. It was so greasy that the bun was soggy. I should've taken it back... they're usually not like that. tongue.gif

Their burgers definitely aren't crap though. It's fresh beef, never frozen, and you can taste the difference.

Their ice cream desserts are great too. Unfortunately they are so loaded with calories and fat I can't seem to justify eating them. For example, their strawberry shortcake sundae has 929 calories and 47 grams of fat.

They have their own Root Beer brand. It's okay. *shrugs*

chrisok
03-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by BATBL18:
From Google Local:

74820 to Norman, OK Distance: 74.8 mi (about 1 hour 55 mins)
73401 to Norman, OK Distance: 82.7 mi (about 1 hour 26 mins)
74701 to Norman, OK Distance: 133 mi (about 2 hours 39 mins) I can help you out with this one saint.

The one in Ada is very good. You can get there in about an hour. Never been to the one in Durant...not much reason to go to there. The Ardmore location wasn't so good. My ex wife is from there, so maybe that had something to do with it.

the saint
03-03-2006, 11:35 PM
I wasn't aware that there was one in Ada, I knew about the s-hole in Ardmore, my parents live somewhat close to there (20 min away) I didn't even make it back to their place before all that grease kicked in, LOL HAHA. I, like yourself Chris, do not like Ardmore, the best thing in that town is the sign you pass that says "now leaving Ardmore".
I might have to stop by Ada on the way to or from my parents on the next trip down there to check it out.

sodagirl
03-14-2006, 03:21 PM
what fast food chains does everyone have near them? we are sadly lacking in sonics and other worthwhile chains in albany, ny. we do have:

- taco bell, kfc, and long john silver's
- arby's
- bk, wendy's and mcdonalds
- roy rogers on the thruway
- sbarro's

am i missing some, upstate new yorkers? i <3 fast food. honestly, i'd take any of these over a gourmet meal. i'm a cheap date.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
here in da hood of wisconsin, we got taco hell, kfc, arbys, bk, mcdonalds, wendys, sbarros, and others, all with crappy soda fountains except the arbys that has pibb xtra, but will soon be replaced with pepsi crap

Mr Zabe
03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Chi Town has:
Steak & Shake
White Castle
Wendy's
McD's
Burger King
Sub Way
Taco Bell
Hardy's
A million Chinese restaurants. LOL
A million greasy spoon dinners. LOL
A million great pizza joints. LOL
A million beyond great hot dog joints.
A few thousand local fast food joints that sell Italian beef sandwiches.

(Could tell I like fast food. LOL)

Wendy's and McDonald's has the best fountain Classic Coke I have had at any fast food resturant. I like Toca Bell's soda fountain the best for over all selection.

[ 03-14-2006, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-14-2006, 10:56 PM
add steak and shake and subway and hardees to my list, i forgot bout them... no white castle tho, i have to buy the frozen ones and microwave them

01GTB
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
All of our fast food places suck. The local labor pool can somehow ruin even the ones that are ok everywhere else. I know you are saying, "of course they suck, they don't get paid enough." While this is true, the ones in our county put the "s" in suck. They even ruin the nicer chain restaurants. You can go over one county and get better food and better service in all the chains.

BTW, we have had a Sonic, just three miles from my house, for 4 years. I have eaten there once...food was cold.

[ 03-14-2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

Mr Zabe
03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
How about the special Sonic drinks that are shown on TV/cable TV all the time ? Do you mean you live 3 miles from the a bonafide Temple of Slushy Drinks and you are not on first name basis there? LOL <Just having a giggle. smile.gif >

[ 03-14-2006, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
03-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Sonic food is questionable. I have yet to be that impressed with any of it. But the drinks are pure heaven.

sodagirl
03-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Chi Town has:
Steak & Shake
AHH steak and shake...my uncle used to live in Missouri and we'd always go and get the really skinny fries. Yum.

Forgot about hot dog places. We have Hot Dog Charlie's and Nathans, both of which I adore.

01GTB
03-16-2006, 03:47 PM
We have a Steak 'n Shake up the road about 4 miles, that sucks too :D And I always liked the place. I am serious, this county will foul up any restaurant that comes here. The only hope you have is to eat at the small family operated places, which luckily there are quite a few of.

I like Chick-fil-a. They recently closed down the one at the mall because of rats or something :D Actually that is a rumor. I find it hard to believe the whole food court would not have rats if that were the case. I don't know why they shut it down. It was open one day, then the next there was a sign up saying they had closed and would re-open tomorrow. That was in November.

Mr Zabe
03-16-2006, 03:57 PM
My wish list of fast food joints not here in Chicago.

1 In & Out Burgers ????
2 Fat Boy Burgers????
3 A real NY Deli Corn beef piled high sandwich
4 Fresh beer batter all meat corn dogs
5 The Southern Waffle Restaurants (name?)

[ 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

drpep
03-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

2 Fat Boy Burgers????

Fatburger. Last time I checked their website it said Chicago opening soon.

5 The Southern Waffle Restaurants (name?)

Are you thinking Waffle House?

bigrich
03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Here's my wish list for Indianapolis:

1. Maid Rite
2. Nathans
3. Jack-N-The-Box
4. Roy Rogers
5. Godfathers Pizza

Mr Zabe
03-16-2006, 10:09 PM
drpep,
Outstanding news....Fatburger should do well in Chi Town.

Yes...the Waffle House. I remember as a little kid we took a road trip down south. We stopped off for breakfast at a W.H. I still remember that breakfast. The pancakes and waffles were amazing. smile.gif