PDA

View Full Version : Big K and Big Red

MISTICman
01-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Attention all Kroger Shoppers:
Have any of you tried Big K red cream soda? To me it tastes JUST LIKE Big Red. Big Red just got discontinued in the Danville area, and that was the only place I could find it. I drank a can of Big K after one of my remaining cand of Big Red and I could not believe my taste buds. If you have both in your area, try them.

teamtitan512
01-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Heh, I'm not much for generic sodas. Wouldn't drink the stuff usually if my life depended on it. Nothing is worse than Giant Quist. Period.

Didn't the guys who bottle Big Red in Danville also bottle like Dad's, Kickapoo, and other Monarch stuff? I know people have been sent there to get that stuff.

Shatter
01-08-2005, 11:27 PM
I've never tried Big K Red Cream Soda. I work for Kroger, and therefore don't trust anything they make. As incompetently as my Kroger store is run, it makes me not want to eat anything they make.

Dr. Cherry
01-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Actually Big K is one of my favorite brands. The Citrus Drop is my favorite. The grape is the best grape soda I've ever had and the Big K Peach is terrific. Only problem is that the peach is only available in 2 liter bottles. Big K Cherry Lemon Lime is also very good.

MISTICman
01-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm going to Danville Wednesday, so I'll see about Kickapoo and the others. I guess the company that distributed Big Red also had Kickapoo and such. If they did, Danville will be just like Greensboro. <sigh> I used to work for Kroger myself. I only was there 11 months before they broke the last straw. the red cream soda and the root beer are the only Kroger products I like.

fusion
01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Food Lion bought the Winn-Dixie in Danville (among others)... I wonder how much has changed there. Maybe you could get a line on who distributes the Kickapoo (Food Lion prints the name of the vendor company on DSD tags).

drpep
01-18-2005, 08:59 PM
I've been told you have to go to an Old Dutch Supermarket when in Danville to get Kickapoo and what not. The caps on them said Pauls (where are the bubbles?) Beverages out of Pennsylvania.

[ 01-18-2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

drpep
01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
UPDATE
Have found out that Big Red is/was distributed by Lawrence Dist. in the Danville area.

fusion
01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah, the Old Dutch. What a grimy place that was when I was down that way last year!

[ 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

drpep
01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
But it is the grimy places that have the best stuff ;)

MISTICman
01-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Hey guys...
Unfortunately I decided not to go to Danville today. I almost slid 3 times in the snow on the way home from work in Greensboro, so I decided it'd be safer to stay at home. It's like the snow melted and refroze on the street.
Fusion...which Old Dutch should I go to? I know of at least 3 in town. There's one on Business 29, one off of memorial drive, and another on Piney Forest. I only have one can of Big Red left, and running low on Big K red cream soda.
Dr., thanks for your help too. I'll try the Q&P in town. They also have the best selection of Mistic.

drpep
01-20-2005, 11:51 AM
You Southerners and snow, what babies tongue.gif tongue.gif

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-20-2005, 05:54 PM
i know, what pansies!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050120/ap_on_re_us/winter_weather

fusion
01-20-2005, 11:00 PM
The one I went to was across the street from the Winn-Dixie I mentioned above.

I could have swore it was right on US58. But I could be wrong!

MISTICman
01-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Um, the only grocery store across from the Winn-Dixie on 58 is a Piggly Wiggly. And as far as the snow stuff, it's just not snowed that much over here since I've started driving. I just haven't had the chance to gain experience.

fusion
01-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Ah, you are correct. I was only there the one time, and I don't remember the specifics all that well. Cheer-wined would know better, he sent me specific instructions on where to go.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-23-2005, 11:14 AM
i haven't seen that cheer-wined guy at either board in quite awhile, and he was so very informative...

drpep
01-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by MISTICman:
And as far as the snow stuff, it's just not snowed that much over here since I've started driving. I just haven't had the chance to gain experience. Awww we're just picking tongue.gif
I had some info on Danville that Cheer-wined sent me but I forgot to grab it when I left the house. When I get back home Thursday I will post it.

[ 01-23-2005, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

teamtitan512
01-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Shouldn't use Winn Dixie as a reference no more, they left Virginia last year for good.

MISTICman
01-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Hmm...I thought that after the WD on 58 in Danville closed, theat the one on Piney Forest would stay open. Oh well...

MISTICman
01-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Hey guys and gals...
I'm surprised Food Lion is now in that huge building that was Winn-Dixie in Danville! I went to the Old Dutch on Business 29 today. All they had was Diet Big Red. I hope they're still bringing some in. They had no shelf stickers in that area, but one empty spot beside the Diet Big Red. This has captured my interest.

drpep
01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
If you ever go back here is some info that was good about one year ago.
Juniors Convenient Market- Boylans; Nehi, A&W, Dew, Sundrop,7UP in longnecks and Big Red in longnecks.
Old Dutch #4 on W. Main Street- best variety of soda among the Old Dutch stores.
Carters Quick Shoppe II.
Remember, this info was emailed to me about 1 year ago.

Cheer-wined
01-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Do a search on this board for "Old Dutch" or "Danville" and you should find the orignial posts that I made in 2003 about that area.

Lawrence Distributing used to be the RC/Diet Rite distributor for the Danville-South Boston area. Their products came from RC Chicago, and you could find RC Cherry, Old Towne, Nehi around Danville.

Lawrence lost their distribution rights for RC brands (I believe in early/mid-2003) to Piedmont Cheerwine. Cheerwine doesn't produce RC Cherry (of course not!) or Old Towne, so those brands gradually disappeared from southside VA.

About this time Lawrence picked up the Monarch brands, expanded Big Red, etc. to fill the gap.

Appears that the new brands haven't done so well, I have noticed that Lawrence has removed their Big Red vending machines and the Monarch brands have disappeared as well. Lawrence is primarily a beer distributor, so they may be getting out of the soda business altogether.