PDA

View Full Version : Enviga

pepsipimp
10-12-2006, 11:00 PM
NEW ENVIGA™ PROVEN TO BURN CALORIES
Sparkling Green Tea Creates a Brand New Category
That Combines Great Taste and Negative Calories

ATLANTA – October 11, 2006 ─ The drink proven to burn calories – Enviga – hits the U.S. market in the Northeast in November and will roll out nationally in January 2007. A delicious sparkling green tea containing green tea extracts, calcium, and caffeine, Enviga was conceived by Beverage Partners Worldwide (BPW) – a joint venture of Nestlé S.A. and The Coca-Cola Company.
“Enviga increases calorie burning. It represents the perfect partnership of science and nature,” said Dr. Rhona Applebaum, chief scientist, The Coca-Cola Company. “Enviga contains the optimum blend of green tea extracts (EGCG), caffeine and naturally active plant micronutrients designed to work with your body to increase calorie burning, thus creating a negative calorie effect. It makes this product stand out as unique. Enviga brings the benefits of green tea to the forefront in a convenient and accessible, great tasting beverage.”

How Enviga Works
The Nestlé Research Center in Lausanne, Switzerland, has studied the properties and benefits of green tea for decades as part of its extensive global tea business. A recent study conducted by the Center in collaboration with the University of Lausanne revealed that consuming the equivalent of three Enviga beverages over the course of the day resulted in a noticeable increase in calorie burning.
INTRODUCING ENVIGA
“The accumulated body of scientific research shows the ability of green tea’s powerful antioxidant EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) to speed up metabolism and increase energy use, especially when combined with caffeine,” said Nestlé researcher Dr. Hilary Green.
Studies have shown that when EGCG and caffeine are present at the levels comparable to that in three cans of Enviga, healthy subjects in the lean to normal weight range can experience an average increase in calorie burning by 60 – 100 calories.
EGCG is a naturally occurring antioxidant in tea, including green tea. Enviga provides 90 mg of EGCG in each serving, along with 20 percent of the daily value for calcium. Enviga’s natural flavors and naturally active plant micronutrients make it a refreshing choice for maintaining a balanced lifestyle.
Consumers demand choice
“We’ve seen a shift in consumers’ attitudes toward diet and health and wellness, with more consumers seeking product choices that su
pport active lifestyles, rather than just eliminating things from their diet,” said John Hackett, senior vice president, Coca-Cola North America Marketing. “Enviga is a great tasting beverage that invigorates your metabolism to gently burn calories, and it’s a positive step people can take as part of a balanced lifestyle – like taking the stairs.”
Enviga will be available in three delicious flavors – green tea, berry and peach – in the ready-to-drink tea section at supermarkets, mass merchandisers, convenience and drug stores, and club stores.
Enviga will be sold in individual 12-ounce sleek cans as well as six-can and 12-can multi-packs. Suggested retail price for Enviga will be $1.29 - $1.49 (single can).
“Enviga brings together Nestlé’s expertise in nutritional science and extensive knowledge in the benefits of green tea with Coca-Cola’s consumer, marketing and distribution resources to create a new global beverage category with unique consumer benefits – a beverage with negative calories,“ said Leslie Novos, CEO of Beverage Partners Worldwide.
- more -
INTRODUCING ENVIGA 3
About Coca-Cola North America
Coca-Cola North America is a unit of The Coca-Cola Company, the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's most valuable brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees, energy and sports drinks. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1.3 billion servings each day. For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, please visit our website at www.thecoca-colacompany.com. (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com.)
About Beverage Partners Worldwide Beverage Partners Worldwide (BPW) is a joint venture between Nestlé SA and
The Coca-Cola Company. BPW operates autonomously while drawing on the capabilities of Nestlé and The Coca-Cola Company. It is a global business unit with cross-functional teams located in Atlanta, GA; Zurich, Switzerland; and Bangkok, Thailand. The Americas business unit markets Gold Peak and Nestea ready-to-drink iced teas.
# # #

Mr Zabe
10-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Not to be a wise guy...I beleive that Coca Cola has used a wee bit of subliminal seduction with the name of this new brand.

IMO, In my distorted mind(LOL)ENVIGA brings the word VAGINA to my mind. LOL Am I goofy or what? ;)

[ 10-13-2006, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Wow! amazing discovery!

Coca-Cola & Nestlé are really good joining forces... BTW they should release a ready-to-drink Nescafé coffee here in Mexico, I see that countries like Singapore have it on sale now.

CCE Girlie
10-19-2006, 12:23 AM
I think Enviga will be a big hit.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm curious about the berry and peach flavors... I want to try them...

SURGE
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Cool concept- but I smell a lawsuit. Its been said in many places but I'll say it again, this stuff is not gonna be very effective at all and its all pure marketing.

Mr Zabe
10-22-2006, 08:13 PM
LOL
I can imagine the cross promotion:
Buy a six pack of Enviga and get a 1.5 ltr of Evian Water.
The jingle could be..."Double E Fat Free".LOL

[ 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

mjb1124
10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Just the fact that caffeine is listed one of the supposed calorie-burning ingredients is enough for me not to give this the time of day.

fusion
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Enviga launches November 6th - a chain in this area is running the single cans 10/$10 for the month of November.

Mr Zabe
10-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Not to be a complete wise as$.....10 for $10 for a brand new brand's introduction promotion price almost reminds me of Coke Blac's brilliant price at it's introduction. LOL

[ 10-29-2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
10-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Actually, the suggested retail is $1.29 to $1.49. So they are discounting it.

Coke Blak is now selling around $3.99 in most chains.

rackitup
10-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Coke Blak is now selling around $3.99 in most chains. $3.99 a bottle, or $3.99 a multi pack?

Mr Zabe
10-29-2006, 11:42 PM
I see the 4pks selling for around $4.65.

popologist
10-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Not to be a wise guy...I beleive that Coca Cola has used a wee bit of subliminal seduction with the name of this new brand.

IMO, In my distorted mind(LOL)ENVIGA brings the word VAGINA to my mind. LOL Am I goofy or what? ;) that didn't occur to me. i thought of "invigorate". hmm. maybe you just have a dirty mind. ;)

wonkapete
02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow, we finally got Enviga! Anyone tried it? I haven't. I just bought it for the cans smile.gif

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/380731936_b939b2077a.jpg?v=0

On an unrelated note, I found this gem out for the trash man! It's been kept in someone's garage for the past 10 years..one man's trash is another man's treasure!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/380731934_af36bc74b1.jpg?v=0

BottleBoss
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Will this make it past the first production run?

BottleBoss
02-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Or will it soon be found at BIG LOTS?

Hollow Man
02-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Drink's calorie-burning claims probed

BY SUSAN HAIGH,
Associated Press Writer
Mon Feb 5, 1:09 PM ET

HARTFORD, Conn. - Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal on Monday announced an investigation into claims by Coca-Cola and Nestle that their new drink can burn calories and not "voodoo nutrition."

Blumenthal's investigation focuses on Enviga, a green-tea drink that contains caffeine, calcium and a green tea extract known as epigallocatechin gallate, or EGCG. Coke says EGCG speeds up metabolism and increases energy use, especially when combined with caffeine.

An Enviga Web site claims that the drink's blend of green tea and caffeine burns more calories than it contains and can help drinkers maintain an ideal weight. According to a Nestle study, young people who drank three of the 12-ounce drinks a day burned an average of 106 calories.

Blumenthal demanded copies of all scientific studies, clinical trials, tests and papers that prove the calorie-burning claim by next week.

Unless there are credible scientific studies, claims "may be nothing more than voodoo nutrition," Blumenthal said. "Promise of wondrous weight loss must be supported by science, not magic."

Calls were placed to Coke and Nestle seeking comment.

Enviga's Web site says the drink is available in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, with a national release scheduled this year.

A nonprofit watchdog group, Center for Science in the Public Interest, have threatened to sue Coke and Nestle over their Enviga claims. Coke officials called the lawsuit threat a "meritless publicity stunt."

http://tinyurl.com/369lho

[ 02-05-2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

cokepa
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I tried Berry and Peach. The Berry is tolerable. I didn't drink all the Peach. From what others at work are saying, the Berry is the best, then Peach, and no one likes the plain green tea. I brought one home for my wife so we'll see what she thinks. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this stuff, especially with a potential lawsuit. Of course, people file suit for the dumbest things so we want to keep that in mind too.

fusion
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
The CSPI are also the people attacking 7Up for their use of "natural."

Blue Efficacy
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
The CSPI are also the people attacking 7Up for their use of "natural." And rightfully so!

PepsiBlue
02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
So the theatre I work at got this today.
I tried the peach, not too bad, not great.
Its 3.50 a can (Remember this is a movie theatre)
If you get a combo you can get it for 1 dollor
If you are an AMC Moviewatcher member, and get a combo, you get a can FREE

Tom Servo
02-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Gee, does it actually list a negative number of calories on the nutrition label? :D

I had figured, from a totally technical aspect, that all "calorie-free" drinks are calorie-buring, because it takes energy to digest them... I'm surprised no one jumped on this marketing ploy long ago.

fusion
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
No, it has five calories per can.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
02-07-2007, 01:39 AM
i saw this at woodmans today, but all they had were the 4 packs for 5 bucks. im going to wait for singles.

No Soda
02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Nice find, Wonkapete (the Pepsi "can" that is ;) .)

Mr Zabe
02-07-2007, 11:11 PM
My local Jewel (Super Value) has Enviga individual cans on sale for, 2 for $1. The local (used to be Safeway LOL) has them on sale for $1 each.

I still predict that Enviga will tank by the 2nd quarter of 2008.

[ 02-07-2007, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SURGE
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I got stuck going to Wal-Mart yesterday to buy a sled because nobody else had them in stock. I literally called everywhere in the Twin Cities before I succumbed to the evil. They had one of those old ladies giving out samples and so I tried all the flavours. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck. The green tea was the worst, followed by the peach, the berry was almost tolerable but not for the price its going for. Welcome to the Coke Blak of '07.

100 Calories for the cost of 3 cans is hardly worth it, heck thats like 10 minutes of excercise.

fusion
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
We ran out of our first shipments of Enviga 6 packs already. First we were getting it from CCBCC in Charlotte NC (code SY), but then some came from CCE-Portland IN (PR). We also got Coolah 4 packs and loose from PR - so it looks like CCE finally upgraded one of other facilities to run odd sized cans (other than CV and NH).

The target audience for this stuff isn't really in the area I work in, so sales have been slow. Though the loose cans are 10/$10 at one chain (Acme), so we sold quite a bit in there.