PDA

View Full Version : Sunkist in glass bottles? Sugar?

Hollow Man
02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know if all the Sunkist that comes in glass bottles has sugar instead of HFCS? I manage to snag some every summer when I vist the Dallas, TX area, the latest bottled by Mellow Moon Distributing, Paragould, AR (thanks to Brent at glassbottlesoda.org for some sleuthing on this).

Brent tells me that he knows Sun Drop in Pulaski TN and West Jefferson (NC) Dr. Pepper put sugar in their Sunkist, but can't be sure about anyone else. Anyone have any information? Thanks!

-HM

01GTB
02-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I can't help you with any other bottlers, but the RC I ordered from Sundrop in Pulaski, TN was bottled by West Jefferson. I am going to take a guess and say all the longnecks out of Pulaski are of the WJ, cane sugar variety.

They are about as reasonable on the product as anyone, and their shipping wasn't bad either. I paid $15.50 with tax for cases of longnecks at the WJ warehouse. Sundrop Pulaski was $20. And they can't just ship it just in the cases it comes in. They have to wrap and box them for shipping. I think shipping from Pulaski was just under $15 to central Florida.

jblaviback
02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I manage to snag some every summer when I vist the Dallas, TX area, Well If you can't tell from tasting them than does it really matter?

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
as far as i know, all of west jefferson products are HFCS, and the only sugar cane DPSU product is sugar cane dr pepper made in waco

Cheer-wined
02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
All-American also has Sunkist in glass bottles but it is HFCS.

All of the non-diet products made by Dr Pepper West Jefferson are sweetened with cane sugar. DPWJ has updated the look of several of their bottles within the past month, and the ingredient list also now shows "SUGAR" (only) instead of the old "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND/OR SUGAR".

The Sundrop company in Pulaski TN is just a distributor of WJ product - they don't have their own glass bottling line.

01GTB
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
DPWJ has updated the look of several of their bottles within the past month, and the ingredient list also now shows "SUGAR" (only) instead of the old "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND/OR SUGAR".

That's good to hear. I figure if they updated the bottle, there's a good chance they will be sticking with cane sugar for a while :cool:

Off topic, but Cheer-wined, do you have any idea how many cases the warehouse stacks and wraps on the pallets. I'm down to 5 cases of WJ DP. I figure I'll have to make a run up there sometime in April. Maybe I'll take my F350 and just get them to load a pallet in the bed :D

Dr. Galaga
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Seems like they are bottling it in Paragould, AR. The code he gave me from the bottle is F0904 5160PG.

Hollow Man
04-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Ok, I bought some Sunkist from Sun Drop in Pulaski, TN and it arrived yesterday. It has only sugar on the label rather than the "and/or" of HFCS. It has a twist-off metal bottle cap rather than the plastic ones on the TX bottles I have.

Taste? Excellent. Smoother and lighter than the stuff I normally buy in cans, but the same good' ol' Sunkist taste. The experience reminds me of Foxon Park (http://www.foxonpark.com)'s (no surprise considering their soda is made with sugar). Highly recommended as long as you're willing to pay the shipping.

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Nice to have bottled treats. smile.gif
Did you get a case? How long will it last you?

Hollow Man
04-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I bought a case, but half is for my girlfriend. Boy THAT was a stupid move, hah!

I tend to not drink more than 12 oz. of pop a day, and if I alternate with VAULT, it'll last me 3-4 weeks. I'll probably drag it out longer since it's so darn special.

I also have to do a direct taste-test comparison. Fortunately Walgreens has a fantastic deal on DPSU products this week (3 12 packs for $3 after rebate). Eep, sale probably ends today...

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Let's hope your girlfriend does not lurk on this board or you might end up in the dog house. LOL