PDA

View Full Version : So is MDX already getting cancelled?

Robot
03-01-2006, 03:45 PM
I am having a hard time finding it.. and in my local grocery store and gas station, tall boy AMP's have taken its shelf space.

ramonazo
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
MDX was just released four months ago and now its being discontinued?

DMC
03-01-2006, 04:11 PM
i've talked to a couple of the pepsi guy's and they have no idea. though in my area, they've been selling MDX for $.89.

CStoreCatMan
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
MDX is not going away...not yet anyways. You'll see more things happening with that brand this year...

pepsidew
03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy O'Sullivan:
I am having a hard time finding it.. and in my local grocery store and gas station, tall boy AMP's have taken its shelf space. there are an outage of the syrup to make MDX in my area - could be the same in yours

the saint
03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by pepsidew:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jimmy O'Sullivan:
I am having a hard time finding it.. and in my local grocery store and gas station, tall boy AMP's have taken its shelf space. there are an outage of the syrup to make MDX in my area - could be the same in yours </font>[/QUOTE]YUP

The Truth
03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Out of date in my area and put on sale.

Robot
03-01-2006, 07:28 PM
its definately not on sale in my area, i think it was doing okay in chicagoland as it was never "fully stocked" in stores whenever I went.. but it didnt have a huge area either...

wasnt on sale when I picked up the last bottole, which was sugar free.. but the fact that it was 1 sugar free and the rest of its space was taken up by tall boy amps, leads me to believe they've either made a new space for MDX elsewhere or its not going to get shelf space.. would be smart to throw it in cans and charge a premium on the cans or sell it in 8packs instead of 12 for the same price or something.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-01-2006, 08:58 PM
So, is this syrup outage a result of heavy sales?

SEV :confused:

SURGE
03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
So, is this syrup outage a result of heavy sales?

SEV :confused: Not sure if you're serious or not but I'm gonna assume not. From what PBG has been saying lately it looks like MDX might get a retuned image sorta like what saved Coke Zero. Seems like a decent strategy to me considering the investment in branding, formulation, ect. Still I think its generally not a great sign if you are getting a total re-image so quickly after launch- no word it seems on reformulation but I'm going to venture that they keep the existing formula. Either way though I expect this renewed push will be sometime this summer.

ramonazo
03-01-2006, 09:28 PM
True, maybe a lot of people when they saw the MDX ads probably asked things like...

http://www.adrants.com/images/mdx.jpg

OMG! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THOSE ANIMALS??!! ARE THEY RADIATED OR WHAT??!!

[ 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
LMAO
I do recall thinking that the first MDX adds were a little freaky. I prefer warm fuzzy adds over adds that freak me out but then again I'm an old fart. LMAO

ramonazo
03-01-2006, 10:02 PM
And those animals are so radiated that they sing like Lionel Richie and Corey Hart...

[ 03-01-2006, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Robot
03-01-2006, 11:51 PM
i think the flavor is great, and a nice variation of the mountain dew/citrus energy flavor..

its just hard for people to stock, find a location for, and in the between "energy drink" and "soda"..

and the energy soda thing is being done with vault on a much bigger scale, and its 20oz for like 79 cents on sale everywhere, and will be in cans soon... so i dont see how MDX will compete at $1.50-2.00...

wish they'd make it $1-1.25 per bottle or scrap the bottle plans and just make it the higher-caffeine/different version of dew in regular cans for regular price

iluvsurge220
03-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Those commercials are awesome!! I sing the song everytime it comes on. The snake is my favorite!!! smile.gif

halloaaryn
03-02-2006, 12:30 AM
**LOVE*** IT!

Mr Zabe
03-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe like Mountain Dew Plus MDP
Same Dew with 30% more caffeine.
(Some variation but marketed as a soda pop.)
At least IMO this seems like a good idea.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I think MDX tastes very good, much better than AMP. Because of this, it confuses me very much that Pepsi is still feeding money into AMP Tallboys.

SEV :confused:

SURGE
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
I think MDX tastes very good, much better than AMP. Because of this, it confuses me very much that Pepsi is still feeding money into AMP Tallboys.

SEV :confused: I think the main reason behind the Amp 16ozers is that Amp is a growing brand for Pepsi- its growth is definatly a highlight in the major-2's energy portfolios. If MDX picks up somehow I would expect to see more sizes.

BottleBoss
03-02-2006, 10:44 PM
MDX going away? That's crazy. That junks all around here on the shelves like warts on a frog.

Robot
03-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Well I've been having a hard time finding the stuff here in my part of chicagoland..

but i managed to buy the last 3 "sugar'd" versions at a local gas station.. they only had 3 and no more in back.

hope its not cancelled.. really wish they'd give it a go in regular cans.. i think it is different, but not necessarily better than AMP..

i appreciate amp, mdx and regular dew each.

Mr Zabe
03-03-2006, 05:07 AM
You know it's sort of nice in a soda pop way. After trying MDX and now Vault for a few weeks, I brought some 24ozers of good old Mountain Dew.

I made sure to super chill a few bottles down to what I call "Point of no return super chill". I must say, tipping that ice cold MD was a complete pleasure. It made me appreciate how good and unique MD really is and will always be to me.

IMO, yes I do feel Vault is an A list drink.
No, I do not think MDX has captured it's core drinkers or at least in good numbers. It's just not all the appealing in general. Yes, MD is and will always be a benchmark soda pop that will not loose it's vast core drinkers. MD is that good that marginal energy drinkers ( those that drink so called non hard core energy drinks) will stay or return to MD in great numbers even though MD is not in the energy catagory.

IMO Mountain Dew is like the monolith from the movie The 2001 Space Odyssey. smile.gif

[ 03-03-2006, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Robot
03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Mountain Dew is a classic.. its simply an amazing soda, and one of the most "refreshing" sodas if dranken ice cold IMO.

cant wait to get some mountain dew in glass bottles with pure can sugar...

have an MDX in the fridge chilling for tomorrow, have only had a few right when it came out, and just had an AMP tallboy yesterday, looking to compare the flavor/"boost"...

PepsiBlue
03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I liked the mdx commercials
all night long, all nigght, all nighht

ChrisPC
03-07-2006, 09:40 PM
MDX just got caught in the crossfire. It's not very prominent here. It's boring, IMHO. I'd rather have AMP, Vault, or regular Dew.

sirslash
03-08-2006, 05:23 AM
MDX sells really bad at my store... its still expensive and is WAY TO FRIGGIN SMALL, especially when you got Vault struting the same style drink in more sizes at lower prices

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Sirslash - from posts I've gathered on this board...Vault and MDX have different ingredients and, therefore, are not the same thing. MDX has actual energy drink ingredients...Vault does not...just more caffeine. That's why the price/size difference.

Green River
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I love MDX,so if its going to get cancelled i'll buy all of them at my local albertsons.

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Again everyone, I've seen NOTHING about this getting cancelled and I work for the "blue" team. In fact...there will be more stuff happening with MDX this year.

pitch_spice
03-11-2006, 05:07 AM
At a convenience store on my school's campus, they were selling one of those big can shaped containers they use to fill with ice and the bottles. Of course, this was an mdx one and it was selling for 40 bucks. would've bought it but i'd have nowhere to put it.

pitch_spice
03-11-2006, 05:10 AM
http://mountaindewmdxterror.ytmnd.com/ smile.gif

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-11-2006, 11:54 AM
lol, nice ytmnd

Dewman1979
03-11-2006, 05:19 PM
it sold out in most of my stores.

SURGE
03-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Dewman1979:
it sold out in most of my stores. By that do you mean that you can't get any more from the bottler? Or that it was a big seller. I would be surprised either way. Pepsi ramped up tons of production for the MDX into. But it was DOA 69c special or not.

pepsipimp
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
We are getting it with April 17 Enddates for Regular and May 22 for Sugar Free, for a while our warehouse was sitting on a ton of outdates, but now that they slowed production we are easily able to get it in and sell it out far before the end date.

Nick Laugher
03-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Dew should've stuck to their flagship, all their product extensions suck and now people are going to look down on the energy drink industry because of MDX and Mountain Dew Energy.

Mr Zabe
03-12-2006, 06:31 PM
IMO...I would not go that far. I'm no fan of MDX,I did not enjoy it but I am a loyal LOVER of Mountain Dew. That being said. For some Big Three Brands like Mountain Dew,Classic Coke,DrPepper...it IMO is almost necessary to have new flavor extensions.

Our beloved soda pop industry would be boring,stale,bland, need I go on. LOL Big Three extensions winners are rare. The BTSC seek to maintain market share (normal profits) and us soda pop freaks seek to maximize pleasure. As we know these two "paths" do not cross as often as both the BTSC and "us" would want.

It's a journey with winners and losers on the road to soda pop A list delights.

I do not fault Mountain Dew's MDX attempt at a quasi energy drink. It's just another bump in the journey.

[ 03-12-2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SURGE
03-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

I do not fault Mountain Dew's MDX attempt at a quasi energy drink. It's just another bump in the journey. Oh I agree, it was worth a shot. The concept is a good one. I mean heck VAULT is pretty much goin for the same space. But it just wasn't right for a few major reasons in my mind. No biggie though brand extensions come and go. I do kinda think if they had kept it on the drawing board for awhile longer it coulda been a winner. Oh well I'm sure by next year we will be all distracted by Code Fusion or whatever.

Darren
03-14-2006, 03:15 PM
We sell a lot of MDX at my store. It sold well when it was full price, but since we lowered it to .99 cents it has been selling even better. It should also be noted that we do not sell Coke products, so we don't have Vault to cut into MDX sales.

CStoreCatMan
03-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Uh oh...don't sell Coke products? That will cause a riot on here! LOL! Not that I care - Thanks for supporting the blue team! smile.gif

Mr Zabe
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Just my two cents.
Some competition might increase your soda pop sales. You may lose business due to customers not purchasing soda pop because they do not drink Pepsi products for one reason or another.

Darren
03-15-2006, 03:36 PM
We had a problem with our Coca Cola distributor and my boss kicked them out of our store. Coke never did 1/10 of the sales Pepsi did. We still buy Diet Coke cans and Coke cans from our grocery distributor, just to satisfy some local customers.

Mr Zabe
03-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Ok...If that works for you. IMO..if the Coke district manage was informed
of your situation,your problem could turn in to more profits for your store.

I had a local 7up (CS) rep try and blow smoke up my as$. I appealed to the district manager and would believe my rep changed his attitude. LOL

Evey business is different so I do understand that if your set up works for you than that's all good. smile.gif

[ 03-15-2006, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Green River
03-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I talked with a pepsi guy,stocking at Maceys and he said that MDX just wont be available at maceys anymore,thats all.

iluvsurge220
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
The only thing good about MDX is the commercials!! LOL. It really isn't that bad of a drink. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. It's just the price that gets me. I'm not gonna pay $1.50 for 14 oz. or however much it is.

WhiteSword
03-28-2006, 04:29 PM
i hope not sometime i need to say up for 12hr

David J.
04-06-2006, 06:54 PM
AMP doesn't even really sell in my area, why it is still around boggles my mind. And I've never seen MDX for less than a buck in my area. A shame because I really like MDX.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-06-2006, 07:21 PM
here, we just recently got something called amp "tall boys". they are 16 oz amps. at most stores, they are the same price as the 8 oz varitey

SURGE
04-07-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by David J,:
AMP doesn't even really sell in my area, why it is still around boggles my mind. And I've never seen MDX for less than a buck in my area. A shame because I really like MDX. That is really bizzare- AMP is pretty much at the top of the heap saleswise for the entire category. Still all areas vary- I'm just surprised to hear a negative AMP sales story- around the Twin Cities AMP outsells MDX by about 4-1 and considering the MDX is in a bigger package and generally costs about 99c its not a very encouraging sign-

MDXdude
04-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I cannot find MDX anywhere and it's driving me crazy!!!

MDX is the best drink ever. It seems like everytime there's something I like, they cancel it or it's impossible to find.

How could anyone like Vault? There's nothing in it! And it tastes like Surge, which I never liked.

A couple months ago K-Mart had them two or three times for $.25 a bottle for regular and sugar free. Both times they had them I bought like 30 which was as many as I could carry in the basket, in hindsight I should have filled up a shopping cart!

Where can I order MDX? I can't seem to find any online retailers that carry it. Especially not for cheap bulk prices.

Mr Zabe
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
A couple months ago K-Mart had them two or three times for $.25 a bottle for regular and sugar free. Both times they had them I bought like 30 which was as many as I could carry in the basket, in hindsight I should have filled up a shopping cart!
This would be a good indication that MDX is being phased out of production. In the various stores that I shop at, MDX is being sold down and not restocked. IMO...RIP :(

[ 04-15-2006, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Dewman1979
04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
it still is everwhere here

David J.
04-15-2006, 11:07 PM
I paid $2 for a MDX eariler this week, had I known it was so expensive I would have bought two bigger bottles of Vault. There's a small amount of it on the shelves, but I love MDX, just wish it came in a bigger size and wasn't so expensive.

The last time I had AMP I wasn't impressed, but I might give it a second chance tommorow because I open at work.

MDXdude
04-16-2006, 04:11 AM
I found a local station stocked with MDX, all had new 'best if drank by' dates on it. Apparently they're still making it.

AMP tastes terrible and did nothing for me even though I drank two cans of it. Which is weird, because I think it has the same ingredients as MDX. But I don't know. I don't know why AMP is still around, everyone else I know hates it too!

[ 04-16-2006, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: MDXdude ]

Bill Brasky
04-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Nope. Out of code in most stores, and mass-pickups of it in other stores.

New AMP is a great looking can, and still not a horrible product. It is much better of Pepsi to worry about Mountain Dew as itself, and concentrate on No Fear and AMP if they want to stay competitive. MDX is only hurting in my opinion.

SURGE
04-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Had an MDX today and realized something- I'm gonna miss this stuff- with dnL gone MDX was/is pretty much a my way to get that dnL fix. Oh well the AMP tall boys are nice and I think thats the dirrection Pepsi is going.

David J.
04-17-2006, 12:38 AM
OK, I always wondered, why did stores order or have more sugar free MDX? It was really annoying.

MDX is great stuff, and I hate to see it go. I've noticed more AMP tallboys. I'm going to give it another chance tommorow or something.

I never did have dNL, what did it taste like? MDX?

SURGE
04-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah I would say that SURGE and dnL tasted similar and MDX and dnL tasted similar though it owuld be a bit of a stretch to say that SURGE and MDX are very similar. I would say that MDX is like a less "fruity" dnL.