PDA

View Full Version : Coke "C2" Pepsi "Edge" discontinued? Why?

antenna_ball
01-12-2005, 06:25 PM
These drinks are a life saver for me. I reduce my sugar intake by 50% and I dont feel so guilty downing a soda. Why are these drinks disappearing, why are they discontinuing them. Does anyone know if their sales are way down and do you think they are gonna pull these?

chrisloll
01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by xxnightowl28:
These drinks are a life saver for me. I reduce my sugar intake by 50% and I dont feel so guilty downing a soda. Why are these drinks disappearing, why are they discontinuing them. Does anyone know if their sales are way down and do you think they are gonna pull these? It's no surprise if this is true. They were destined for failure. The market for these kinds of products was already in the decline. Pepsi and Coke were just too late.

Android
01-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I agree, too late. I mean, I drink Edge and I like it but I know Pepsi, having worked for them (somewhat briefly) 10 years ago and observing them since, and just can't see them selling enough of this to keep it around. I'd like them to, but I'm not going to be surprised whenever it disappears. In fact, I keep my eyes open for "fresh" expiration dates on the product in the grocery stores, and thus far it seems that they've kept up with it. (the one I drank just now had a production date of 12/28/04 on it) How long will it last? who knows.... heck, I could be wrong and they'll keep it around - after all, Pepsi has kept Pepsi One going far longer than I ever thought it would.

andy

chrisloll
01-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Android:
Yeah, I agree, too late. I mean, I drink Edge and I like it but I know Pepsi, having worked for them (somewhat briefly) 10 years ago and observing them since, and just can't see them selling enough of this to keep it around. I'd like them to, but I'm not going to be surprised whenever it disappears. In fact, I keep my eyes open for "fresh" expiration dates on the product in the grocery stores, and thus far it seems that they've kept up with it. (the one I drank just now had a production date of 12/28/04 on it) How long will it last? who knows.... heck, I could be wrong and they'll keep it around - after all, Pepsi has kept Pepsi One going far longer than I ever thought it would.

andy That's a good observation. Pepsi One is indeed still around. Pepsi must be privy to some information I don't know. Otherwise, I would have predicted its departure a while ago. I was actually impressed with C2 (despite my dislike of Coke) and Edge. I believe both companies did an excellent job, but sadly I believe the sales for these products have already peaked.

ramonazo
01-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Sigh...

It's like when Coca-Cola vainilla, Lift verde and Beat disappeared here in Aguascalientes.

XLS_04
01-13-2005, 01:05 AM
how long was Coca-Cola vanilla sold there?

it is still surviving here in the USA.

Anyways on original topic.... I agree the 2 biggest beverages were too late on this trend and it did not work as well as they thought. I would not suprised if they were discontinued either.

[ 01-13-2005, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: XLS_04 ]

the saint
01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Pepsi One is to be released sometime in late Feb early March with Splenda only instead of ace-k and nutrasweet. I do not really know why this product has stayed around but Pepsi is not going to kill it anytime soon it seems.

[ 01-13-2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Android
01-13-2005, 04:37 PM
So when they re-do Pepsi One, will they make it taste any better? ack. The way some products don't get introduced here in rural Wyoming until all the old stock is out of the system, that means we'll see a new Pepsi One in say, June maybe. There's still a LOT of Pitch Black in the system here, and they didn't even bother with Spice. As for the new Cherry Pepsi, no sign yet. It's not just Pepsi too, Coke here let Diet Sprite go completely out of stock for several weeks before they got "Zero" into the pipeline.

andy

fusion
01-13-2005, 08:06 PM
C2 is still alive and kicking. Coke finally got the message and put it in 2 liters and 12 packs. Our first shipment of 2 liters ran out, and we haven't been able to get any more in. It sells pretty well in 2 liter form.

Fruity Pebbles
01-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Nightowl, I hear ya. I still find it aplenty, just not in the droves we saw when it first hit the shelves. Oh, well.

Bear in mind that fountain soda still gives you the obvious option of concocting your own 50/50. In fact, most fast food joints are getting enough requests that they don't look at you like you have 2 heads when you request it.

XLS_04
01-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Pepsi and Coke are afraid to add Splenda to their regular diet lineup, so they have to have a sub diet category, Pepsi ONE, and Coke is comming out with a Splenda version as well.

Coke04
01-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Pepsi and Coke are afraid to add Splenda to their regular diet lineup, so they have to have a sub diet category, Pepsi ONE, and Coke is comming out with a Splenda version as well. They are?

PhillySteve
01-14-2005, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't say they are afraid, but switching to Splenda would be more costly. Also, the manufacturer of Splenda is already barely keeping up with demand. If Coke and Pepsi both switched to using Splenda in their diet drinks they couldn't get it fast enough. I don't think any big transition will be soon.

XLS_04
01-15-2005, 03:19 AM
well it would be less costly if they just added Splenda in diet Pepsi and diet Coke, instead of having 2-3 variations of diet cola's such as Pepsi ONE, Coke C2, and the others they are trying to come out with.

[ 01-18-2005, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: XLS_04 ]

ecliptic
01-16-2005, 04:24 AM
I just saw a C2 commercial and we can still buy it around Ohio.

We can also still buy Edge, aswell as pepsi One.

Acheron
01-16-2005, 04:47 AM
I think that Coke is still toying with C2. They have it in 2 liters and 12 packs now, since having it in nothing but 20oz bottles and overpriced 8 packs and 18 packs was just about the dumbest thing I think I'd ever seen.

golee1
01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
C2 2 liters and fridgepacks seem to be selling pretty well for us to, as is 20 ounce, but it's been a pretty good seller ever since it's been out. Interestingly enough though, I worked one of the Wal-Marts in Harrisonburg this weekend (2807), and I only put up 1 bottle in 4 trips. The rest of the 2 liters were selling like mad.

I ended up working 9 stores altogether, and I was suprised to still see a good bit of DNL and Pepsi Holiday Spice 12 packs in some of the Food Lions. We've got close-dated 1/2 liters in 2 independents (Sharp Shopper and Red Front) 4 for $5.00. Talk about a blowout.

Robot
01-16-2005, 08:40 PM
oh man cant wait to trade coke zero

Shatter
01-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I bought a bottle of Dr Pepper the other day at work, and the registers will print out a coupon for products along the same line as what you just bought. It printed me out a coupon for $1.09 off a 2-liter of C2. Coke was on sale for $1 each, so not only did I get a free bottle of C2, but the coupon actually took off $1.49, so I also got 49¢ off the other groceries I bought. Nice one!

antenna_ball
01-17-2005, 03:40 AM
I am starting to become more and more addicted to soda, coke or pepsi. I take antidepressants and for some reason they make me want a coke or pepsi. These low carb ones help me out.

billygtexas
01-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Thats strange, it looks like Coke is starting to re-promote it again. I agree the dumbest thing they did was sell it in 8-pack cans first and not in more popular 2 liters. And C2 doesnt mean anything, why not call it "Coke Light" or "Coke Mid-Calorie"?

2 liter bottles of C2 have just started to appear at Wal-Marts in Texas for 98 cents. I just wish they could drop the Aspertame for Splenda. C2 has a nasty aftertaste, though its not as bad as Diet Coke. It still tastes like a watered-down coke to me.

[ 01-18-2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

fusion
01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Well, when it comes down to it, there's not a lot of money in 2 liters.

2 liter at 98¢ = .0145¢/ounce
8 ounce 6 pack can at $1.99 = .0415¢/ounce
20 ounce bottle at $1.19 = .0595¢/ounce

2 liters are good for driving volume, that's about it. Very little profit. There's a lot more money to be made in cold drink sales and multi-packs like the new PET bottle fridge packs and 8 ounce cans.

Most stores only have 2 shelves of 2 liters in the soda sections, compared to three shelves just 5 or 6 years ago. And a lot of new packages have sprung up, like 16.9oz 6 packs, 8 ounce 6 pack cans, 12oz PET bottle fridgepacks, and so on.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-18-2005, 04:30 PM
deposit states are huge 2liter states because of the amount you'd have to shell out for a 12pk versus a 2liter. it makes a difference to a lot of people, even when they get the money back.

Dr. Feelgood Worley
01-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I think C2 is nasty, I like ordinary coke, but if you live in a low carb house, you have to drink it.

lildaddy
01-20-2005, 03:46 PM
If you think about it, the only product you are going to hurt in sales are your Flagship brands ie Pepsi and Coke, because those are the people who want to change to maybe something that is a little more healthy. When the shareholders ask why did you loose marketshare in our #1 product it could be skewed, and in the media can twist it to say they lost to their competitor when in fact they lost it to there own flavor portfolio.

fusion
01-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok.. For the last time.

C2 and Edge are NOT low carb!

Android
01-20-2005, 11:09 PM
yeah, "reduced" carb would probably be a better description.

andy

antenna_ball
01-21-2005, 07:44 AM
you guys are some of the greediest I have ever seen, all you can chat about is how much profit you can make, you should join DUBYA in his regime and his corporate lies to make more illegal dollars.

chrisloll
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by xxnightowl28:
you guys are some of the greediest I have ever seen, all you can chat about is how much profit you can make, you should join DUBYA in his regime and his corporate lies to make more illegal dollars. Are you kidding?

ecliptic
01-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Are you kidding?I think xxnightowl28 really is that stupid.

whotony
05-15-2005, 02:01 AM
so is edge done or not.

it has dissapeared from shelves in delaware county pa.

i found 2 cases in target last week but no were else.

plus a local radio personality has said on the air that he is close to a pepsi guy and he was told it is discontinued.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-15-2005, 09:02 AM
they have it in 2liters in michigan - that's all anymore.

man the other day. i saw a lady buy like 40 2liters of diet pepsi twist (lemon) because she had heard it was discontinued. it was outrageous

Look In The Tunk
05-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:

man the other day. i saw a lady buy like 40 2liters of diet pepsi twist (lemon) because she had heard it was discontinued. it was outrageous And Diet expires so quickly that I doubt she'll even finish all 40 of them beore they start tasting rank.

XLS_04
05-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Pepsi Edge seems to be gone here, However Pepsi Twist is still available. I think Pepsi Twist taste better then Pepsi Lime because the lime flavor is too weak but the lemon flavor is more noticeable.

The Interpreter
05-16-2005, 02:05 PM
According to an article in the Atlanta Journal and Constitution (home of Coke), Pepsi Edge IS being discontinued. Article is available to subcribers of the website only...

antenna_ball
05-17-2005, 07:10 AM
I like Edge so much. Soda is not so healthy for you, and if you can cut it in half it makes it worthwhile. Besides sugar though I wonder why Soda is so darn unhealthy?

Mr Zabe
05-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Just my two..uneducated cents.

Pop/soda is basically a some what highly processed solution (chemical mixture) of chemicals with the exception of pure sugar cain.

Modern science does not actually know the long term effects of pop/soda on the human body especially in light of the average huge consumption ( as in the United States).

That being said there are short term negative effects on one's teeth,mouth,throat and digestive systems (IBS,Ulcers). Also caffeine addiction which has been addressed by caffeine free pop/soda.

This is why some people would say pop/soda is not entirely safe to drink. I do not care. I'm going to die eventually. I drink pop as it one of the few comforts I can afford. So put a straw in my mouth and a can of ice cold Die Pepsi in my hand before you bury me and I will be sipping my way to my final resting place. :D

Zabe

[ 05-17-2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by lildaddy:
If you think about it, the only product you are going to hurt in sales are your Flagship brands ie Pepsi and Coke, because those are the people who want to change to maybe something that is a little more healthy. When the shareholders ask why did you loose marketshare in our #1 product it could be skewed, and in the media can twist it to say they lost to their competitor when in fact they lost it to there own flavor portfolio.

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 11:23 PM
i agree.

C2 cut directly into Coke Classic's sales... not Diet Coke's. i drink both. diet during the week and regular on the weekend (with pizza or whatever).

i replaced Classic with C2. and, if you notice, Classic's sales were down almost exactly how much C2 sold last year.

sodageek
08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Android:

andy

sodageek
08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
You worked for Pepsi, do you know what happens to discontinued products? I really liked Pepsi Edge and Pepsi Blue. It would be nice if they warned us about product discontinue. I can't believe Vanilla Pepsi and Lime Pepsi sell better than Pepsi Edge. Pepsi Blue was on the sweet side but I liked it. Pepsi Edge tasted like regular pepsi.