PDA

View Full Version : Investigation into Coca-Cola

The Mole (UK)
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
The show is called Tonight with Trevor McDonald

Jonathan Maitland investigates the problems currently facing Coca-Cola, examining how the soft drinks giant is tackling issues including health scares abroad and reports of a domestic consumer boycott.

Due to air Monday at 8PM

I have put in a request at uknova for somebody to grab it for you guys incase you want to see it.

[ 03-04-2006, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: The Mole (UK) ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-05-2006, 01:17 AM
It's kinda "La Jornada newspaper" style program, isn't it?

da987
03-05-2006, 06:21 AM
This show wasn't broadcast in the end. It was replaced with a different topic.

I saw it 1st time it was shown about 2 months ago, and basically it was just a journalist slagging off Coke.

It also had a lot to do with British colleges and universities trying to boycott Coke products because of the union killings that happend in South America.

Just my 2 pence worth, but the program was an absolute shambles from beginning to end. I think it would have helped if they did some research before they put the program out.

It did make Coke look bad, and didn't bring up any of the good things that Coke have achieved. I think that Coke probably took out a court order to stop the show being re aired.

The Mole (UK)
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
The show is on THIS Monday....

last week the EPG listings on Sky were incorrect...

Did you ever see the episode of The Money Show about Dasani water (it was aired in 2004) :D that was a very good watch

[ 03-05-2006, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: The Mole (UK) ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I wonder if Coke would return with another bottled water brand in UK or if they will return Dasani...

Mr Zabe
03-05-2006, 02:35 PM
MrR,
CCDA under the Dannon brand is very good spring water. I wonder if Coca Cola will sell it in the UK. IMO...it is the best tasting bottled spring water.

The Mole (UK)
03-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Cokes problem was that the UK were not willing to pay 90p (about $1.50) for a bottle of tap water. Why on earth would you do tha twith so many nice spring waters about?

Mr Zabe
03-05-2006, 05:38 PM
LOL
Well your point is correct but not entirely so.
In the States, most (not all) bottle water consumers buy their water by the 24 count case.
On average and on sale (which is very often) a case of 500 ml bottles (24 bottles) can be brought for between $5.00 to $6.00 (approx. 17cents to 18 cents per bottle).

Now single bottles sold in a soda pop machines are sold in general for $1.00 to $1.50 (20oz bottle).

Convenience stores, gas stations, fast food restaurants ect in general sell 16.9oz or 20oz bottles for $1.00 to $2.00 depending on brand or what the market will bare.

I myself will pay a premium for bottle water, when I am out and about and only a cold water will do to satisfy my thirst or help control a medical problem. In general, I buy my water by the case. It's an affordable luxury that I can spoil myself with. Cold spring water is awesome. smile.gif

Most Americans who are serious bottle water drinkers do not pay any thing near a $1.50 for a cold bottle of water. The market is flooded (LOL) with good cheep bottle water. LOL

{Point of clarrification Dansani is a purified water. Coca cola uses filter water and adds a few minerals. I myself do not buy it that often. It is not just plain tap water. I will buy it out of a pop machine and it does the job ok. LOL}

[ 03-05-2006, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

da987
03-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I don't see what the problem was with Dasani in England myself. The reason being, Yes OK it was regular tap water, but they did their reverse osmosis treatment on it and it ended up even purer. The British public don't care what Coca-Cola did to the tap water, as far as they were concerened it was just tap water. Out of all the people whinging about it , I wonder how many of them have a Brita filter!
I don't know if you guys in the states have Brita filters, but you probably have something similar. All it is is a big jug with a filter in it that cleans the water and takes out most of the limescale so it doesn't kill your kettle. About 80% of England has hard water.
I know they also said it was found to contain something that was found to cause cancer, but hey it's probably just the same as in the early 1900's when Coke had cocaine in it and you had to drink about 36 glasses for it to even have the mildest effect, and in the 70's & 80's when some scientist said that saccharine was found to cause cancer in lab rats. Didn't matter though that the rats had the equivalnet of about 320 cans of Diet Coke pumped in to them in one hit.

Mr Zabe
03-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Britta and other filters are widely used by Americans. I used a Britta for about 9 months or so. I ended up going back to bottles because in my mind, the effort and maintenance of the pitcher was not something I wanted to do. I also did not like the way the water tasted.

I have very sensitive taste buds. LOL I enjoy bottle water, I like the feel of the bottle, the twist of the cap and the way the cold water feels in my mouth. Using the Britta, I missed those things. Being single,spending $20 or so a month for bottle water is my treat to myself. smile.gif

The Mole (UK)
03-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Well i would not drink Dasani (i DO have a Britta filter, even though i am in a soft water area).

Mr Zabe you miss my point....

It was not the price i was getting at it was the quality.

Given the choice i would rather have prure spring water (at the same price) rather than tap water.