PDA

View Full Version : Dr Pepper in England

bigworld
01-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Just got back from a trip to England and had the pleasure of drinking English Dr Pepper. It's much fruitier than DP here, with a pronounced black cherry taste. Does anyone know if the recipe is in fact different, or is it just because it tastes that much better when made with sugar?

DPDude
02-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Cool! I'll get to try some in May when a friend brings some over for me.

7Towers
02-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I was in Europe in 2000, and after three months in Spain, I had not had a Dr Pepper. A girl in our group was returning to California for a weekend to go to a wedding, and I asked her to bring me a Dr. Pepper. She bought the DP but forgot to bring it back to Spain with her.

I was disappointed but a few weeks later in Mallorca (a big British tourist area) I noticed DR PEPPER!!! It definitely didn't have the same taste but I noticed something else on the back.....

A PRUNE FLAVORED SODA

I was shocked to see this as I never associated the flavor w/ Dr Pepper and even looked on Snopes.com to debunk the rumor that prune juice is related to DP. (http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/drpepper.asp)

Well, when I went to London a few weeks later I noticed all the bottles had the same thing written on them. Questions:

Do they still have this on the bottles?
When did DP come to Europe? With the Cadbury acquisition?
Why did Cadbury think that this would make people want to buy it?

I heard a story of an Englishman who would take Dr Pepper w/ him to France because they don't sell it there. I am thinking that DP is new to the Europe scene.

bigrich
02-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Every country has different labeling laws. In the Netherlands Antioxidents are listed as being in Coca-Cola. I have seen Vegetable Extracts listed on some British beverages. In the US the term "Natural Flavorings" may be enough. It other countries they may need to be more explict.

[ 02-05-2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

da987
02-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't recall ever seeing Prunes in the ingredients list on an English Dr Pepper. It has been available in England for years, although only from Coca-Cola since the 1990's. Before that it was imported from Holland.

Jonsson8
02-10-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't know about the rest of Europe but I remember when I bought my first Dr Pepper here in Sweden when I was a kid, it had just been released and I believe it was around 1985.