PDA

View Full Version : Boylan's and Cola

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-21-2006, 10:00 PM
It seems like every trendy coffee or sandwich shop nowadays has a line of Boylan's sodas in their cooler. But nowhere in any of them do I see any of Boylan's fabulous colas. At least around here, one needs to go to Whole Foods organic supermarket to even find Boylan's Natural Cane Cola, which is largely seen as second to the even-more elusive Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola.

So my question is: is it harder for retailers to secure the colas as opposed to Boylan's Root Beer, Orange Cream, etc.? Does Boylan's think that their colas aren't mainstream enough to be successful in the "public"?

I'm hoping some of our industry people on this board might be familiar with what I'm talking about.

drpep
10-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Don't know. But I do know Boylans colas are in stores around here.

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Interesting. Does anyone else see Boylan's colas around their parts?

I would have expected a place like downtown DC to have just as good a selection as anywhere else.

Wally1912
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Trader Joe's carries Boylan's in the Boston area.
Have you checked with the one in DC?

http://www.traderjoes.com/index.html
Washington (653)
2425 L St. NW (on 25th St. between L and M)
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: 202-296-1921
Store Hours: 9 am - 9 pm

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes, I believe some of them sometimes carry Boylan's Natural Cane Cola, but that's it.

I've found one (1) place in my whole life that carrys Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola, and that's Harry and David's in Norfolk, VA.

iowacity
10-25-2006, 09:31 PM
The New Pioneer Co-op here in Iowa City carries Natural Cane Cola, but no Sugar Cane Cola.

treetoptom
10-26-2006, 03:09 PM
World Market at 11818 Rockville Pike in Rockville carries the Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola as does the Trader Joes further down at the intersection of Rockville Pike and Twinbrook Parkway. Over on the other side of DC, Rips on US 301 in Bowie also carries the entire Boylans line.

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by treetoptom:
World Market at 11818 Rockville Pike in Rockville carries the Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola as does the Trader Joes further down at the intersection of Rockville Pike and Twinbrook Parkway. Over on the other side of DC, Rips on US 301 in Bowie also carries the entire Boylans line. I've been to two Trader Joe's around here, the one in Bethesda and the brand new one in West End/Foggy Bottom in downtown DC. Neither have Sugar Cane Cola. Bear in mind that I don't have a car. Anyway, it seems that retailers don't think it'd be a very successful product. I'm not sure if they're wrong, but still.

jdavidb
10-27-2006, 07:59 AM
What's the difference between the Natural Cane Cola and the Sugar Cane Cola? (Just curious ... never heard of Boylan's before now.)

treetoptom
10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
The Natural Cane Cola is just that, all natural. It has a much more pronounced herbal taste and color than the Sugar Cane Cola. I like the Sugar Cane Cola, but the natural cola is too herbal for me. Natural food enthusiasts might find it to their liking, though.

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-28-2006, 02:14 AM
BevNET's review of Boylan's Natural Cane Cola:

This flavor of the Boylan’s Natural line is sweet, sweet, herbal, and sweet. Not that it’s totally unpleasant: they’re clearly throwing their weight behind the idea that cola is a specific flavor, rather than the analog for soda that it has become. Unfortunately, the result is slightly medicinal in taste and color – which might very well be a selling point for some. The question is, will they be able to convince everyone that their purists’ result is what cola should be, rather than what they’ve been exposed to thus far.

BevNET's review of Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola:

Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola is a beautifully bottled high quality cola that features a very refreshing flavor. Only good words come to mind when sipping this product -- clean, crisp, sweet. Of course, we didn't expect anything but the best from Boylan's and this product truly lives up to the great reputation that Boylan's has built for itself. In addition, be sure to check out the very unique Cane Cola four pack, featuring a cardboard holder that sits on top of the bottles. Overall, a very refreshing high quality cola that is instantly addicting.

These aren't very descriptive. My opinion is that Natural Cane Cola is indeed medicinal tasting and herbal, while Sugar Cane Cola tastes more like a spicy, cinnamon flavor.

jerr2429
10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
IN MOST OF NORTHERN NJ A&P SUPERMARKETS SELL BOYLANS COLA.

turbojames
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Do you think that Boylan's has a stronger chance of performing better than Jones' Soda?

Techne
11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Green, a vegan restaurant in Tempe, AZ carries Boylan's sugar cane cola.

Dr. dnL
11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
I actually just bought the Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola 4 pack in a cardboard carrier. I found it at World Market. Haven't tried it just yet. They also had a Boylan's multi-pack. Not positive about the flavors, but I think it contained Root beer, orange and black cherry.

[ 11-20-2006, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Dr. dnL ]

Mr Zabe
11-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm so happy. smile.gif
I finally was able to shop at Trader Joe's. The soda pop section was very meek and not all that thrilling. I did find some Black Cherry Boylan's 12oz 4pks priced at $2.99. I picked up a six pack which now cooling down. Little treasures with sugar cain and good ingredients......I can't wait to taste......

[ 11-25-2006, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
11-24-2006, 10:08 PM
I just had the extreme pleasure of drinking my first bottle of Boylan's Black Cherry soda. Oh boy (girl too LOL)....LIQUID Gold in a bottle!!!!

What a smooth,full bodied,perfectly balanced soda pop. This was a complete in every way a AAA+ soda pop. The black cherry flavor was wonderful.
Boylan's Black Cherry is awesome. YUM :D

Dr. dnL
11-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Zabe,

I'm glad you liked it. I LOVE black cherry soda but I haven't tried Boylan's. I'll have to go back to World Market and grab a 4 pack.

I did try the Boylan's Sugar CaneCola the other night. So completely different than any other cola flavored drink. It's almost shocking at first when you drink it. I liked it.

drpep
01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
I posted in October there was plenty of Boylans Cola around and now in January I cannot find any Cola.

Blue Efficacy
01-11-2007, 05:29 AM
I can find the sugar cola at Byerly's in Minnesota.

dr nootz
01-11-2007, 10:59 AM
i found some boylan's here in hammond indiana (a little south of chicago) the orange-creme, black cherry, and grape flavors

drpep
03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I found one of the Boylans Colas at Giant Market in Williamsport, Pa. Don't know if it was Natural Cane or Sugar Cane.